Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

96 4Runner VS. 99 Explorer

Old 02-11-2003, 06:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 96 4Runner VS. 99 Explorer

What is up fellas? I have about $9,500 (10K w/ tax) to spend for an automobile. I was in a bad car accident with a nissan maxima and now i'm scared to drive cars again, so SUV's are what i'm checking out. I really like the 4Runner's reliability record, and the price and safety of the Explorers. For the price above, i can get around a 1996 4Runner, or a 99 Explorer here on Long Island, New York.

I was curious what you guys think about those two in comparison, most specifically of the designated years i previously listed? As far as reliability, safety, long term durability. Being a college student I do not have thousands of dollars for repairs, nor to keep replacing vehicles. Safety is also an issue because god forbid something happens, reliability means poop, and safety is everything.

All opinions and advice or links to other sites etc. are appreciated in advance...thanks ya'll
Old 02-11-2003, 07:00 AM

All else being equal, the 4Runner will last significantly longer. The explorer will probably have slightly lower repair costs, but it will need repairs much more frequently than the 4Runner. The problem with buying used is that you have no idea how the rig was cared for by the previous owner(s). You could end up constantly be putting money into repairs because the rig was abused by the previous owner, regardless of which one you buy.

Assuming you don't have a preference between the two (features, ride quality, looks, etc.), I would buy a 4Runner with 75k miles before I bought an explorer with 25k miles. In the long run, once you start talking about higher mileages, the 4Runner will be a better investment. You'll also get more for the 4Runner if/when you decide to sell.
Old 02-11-2003, 07:06 AM

I personally have owned an explorer and have friends with Explorers and I think their build quality is sub par to Toyota. To me it seems after about 2-3 years it seems that the interior just starts rattling and falling apart. And the engines definitly show their wear much sooner than a 4runner.

I think it depends on how long you plan on keeping the vehicle and what you want to do with it. I like the exploder becauser it feels a lot more spacious in the interior and american cars are usually loaded with a lot of gadgets. But it just won't last as long (in most cases).

Where as the 4runner has proven itself to run well over 100,000 miles and still feel like new. Mine has 120,000 miles and it still feels smooth. But I put all 120k miles on it and I maintained it very well.

I would say if you decide on the older vehicle try to see if the previous owener has service records etc.

I hope this helps.

Joe
Old 02-11-2003, 07:20 AM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
Do you mean that they're not PAYING YOU to take the Explorer? Will wonders never cease...
Old 02-11-2003, 07:51 AM
Contributing Member

Look at my sig, you can just guess what I am going to tell you.
Old 02-11-2003, 07:53 AM
Contributing Member

I have also had both the Explorer and the 4Runner.
My wife had a 1997 Explorer Eddie Bauer before we got married and I have a 1997 4Runner SR5.

The Explorer had every option available, it had a cool trip/mileage meter, climate control, air ride, and the SOHC 4.0L V6. It was a pretty powerful engine with good torque. The interior was more roomy than the 4Runner. But like someone mentioned earlier, it will not hold up as well as a 4Runner. I had replaced the o2 sensor and there was something wrong with the air-ride before I sold it. It had 72k miles when we sold it to her father. It still runs good but I love my 4Runner better.

If you like to go off-road, the Explorer is too low.

If you plan to own it for awhile, I would get the 4Runner, if it is just a vehicle to get you through school then you may want to consider the Explorer.
Old 02-11-2003, 08:09 AM
Contributing Member

Explorers are safer? When did that happen? Was I just dreaming about all those Explorer rollovers, fires, and unexplained airbag detonations?

Seriously, though. Go for a Toyota. They're more reliable, better off road and have a higher resale value.
Old 02-11-2003, 08:16 AM
Contributing Member

You are asking this question on a Toyota message board, so the answers will be pretty biased.

I bet if you click here the answers will change a bit.

(Dont get me wrong, I am all for the 4Runner)
Old 02-11-2003, 08:26 AM
Contributing Member

I traded in my '96 Explorer XLT for my '97 4Runner SR5. I drove the Explorer for 3 years and put almost 70,000 miles on it. When I traded it in it had 121,000 miles. I never had any major problems with it, the only thing I replaced in the 3 years was the tires (free) and a battery. I was a good truck, but when it got to have over 100k on it, the ride became poor and the engine was pretty worn out. When it came time to get rid of the Ford, I had to trade it in. There are so many of them out there they are impossible to sell. I took a '97 SR5 4Runner over a '99 Explorer AWD. It just made sense. Both were loaded vehicles. I used the logic that a 4Runner with 80k is like an Exlorer with 30k, as the guy stated above. The Toyota is just a better vehicle. Go with the 4Runner. As the saying goes, pay a little more now or pay a LOT more in the future. Hope this helps.
Old 02-11-2003, 09:27 AM

Cool

Thanks fellas . I appreciate the responses, as the are most helpful. I am looking for a street car, NO OFFROADING. Just a safe vehicle that will not have repairs frequently or a bad track record. As far as longevity, I am a Junior in College and am looking for something to see me the next 4 to 5 years. Then I will be financially independant and able to make a decision with a larger playing field persay.

As far as safety, the crash test websites rate the Toyota 4Runners as mediocre or poor, they don't seem to be as safe as lets say an explorer or a jeep. As far as rollovers, its all SUV's from what i researched that rollover, and i was told that for the amount of vehicles ford puts out they have less roll overs percentage wise. And they are also lower to the ground. The thing that is kinda pulling me down here is price of 4Runners. My parents are persistant that i get a vehicle with side airbags, which 1996 4Runners do not have.

Any more advice is appreciated
Old 02-11-2003, 09:38 AM

FORD = Fix Or Repair Daily ... that or ˟˟˟˟˟˟ed Over Retarded Dodge

haha seriously though I know they are good trucks, but I have only had 1 good experience with an Explorer. three of my friends had 96-98 ones. They were ALL piles of junk, two were traded in, and the other one is still run (by a girl) I remember having to help wrench on them all throughout highschool. The girls exploder runs ok, but several times the breaks have gone (kinda scary to not have breaks) and the 4WD no longer works (it'sa PUSH BUTTON 4wd what do you expect?)

anyways, I guess I am biased because I absolutely LOVE my truck, but I know a few other explorer guys, and they don't have the same enthusiasm for their rig as I do mine. (maybe because they are hunks of junk? )

If you don't get a Yota :pat: then at least get a Jeep, Chevy, or Dodge!

well that's my $1.02

~mike
Old 02-11-2003, 10:35 AM

Defintely get the 4Runner. I've driven a couple of Explorers, and they are absolutely NOTHING compared to the 4Runners. I mean I feel like there's a lot more to the 4Runners, and from everything I've seen the 4Runners are a lot safer than Explorers. And also not to mention reliabilty. If you want a truck that will start when you need it (that is if you take care of it ) and will last well over 200,000 miles (again if you take care of it ) buy the 4Runner, you won't regret it. Ford (Especially the Exploders) has a very nasty reputation for having terrible reliability; and I think it would be a complete fluke if an explorer ever made it to 150,000 miles (at the very most). My '91 4Runner has about 170,000 miles and it still runs like new.

So in my very biased opinion, get a 4Runner because you won't regret it, and if you take care of it, it will last forever.

-Braden
Old 02-11-2003, 03:46 PM

FORD = Found On Road Dead

I don't think that the Explorer is going to get many votes on this forum.

I have driven a few Explorers as rentals, and they are quite nice when new, but the simple fact that the 3 year older 4Runner is going for the same amount as the Explorer should tell you that it is a better rig.

Toyotas have a high resale for a reason, they are reliable. The demand is high, and the price is high.

Just my $0.02
Old 02-11-2003, 04:18 PM
Contributing Member

The only thing that I miss about my Explorer is the room inside. The 4Runner is sort of narrow, and the Explorer had plenty of room. Being that I am not a small guy, and I'm over 6 feet tall, I miss that. But I would NEVER trade my 4Runner for an Explorer. Finding a good Explorer is a hit or miss thing. Some are virtually trouble free. Others have a repair history a mile long. I had good luck with one, I don't plan on trying my luck again. The Explorer might make it to 150,000 miles, at the most. With the Toyota 100k is just the beginning.
Old 02-11-2003, 04:22 PM
Contributing Member

I'm 6ft8 and know EXACTLY what you mean....

4Runners don't hold their value for nothing! Get the Runner... My mom had an explorer and hated it, they are also about as fun to drive as a jar of peanut butter.
Old 02-11-2003, 05:06 PM

I vote for the Toyota! The hi mileage Fords arnt verry reliable and the repairs are pricy! Did the tranny on an 00... It cost too much even after I did the labor!

Also you mite think about getting a 2nd gen Runner with low miles and a lower price tag so that you can have the $ to make it into what you want! I just baught a well cared fore 89 P/U and droped about $2000 on stuff (ya know... stuff) like fluids, carpet cleaning, wax, brake parts, greese... Sombody told me onde that the problem with used cars is that they are used!

good luck

_travis
Old 02-11-2003, 07:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get the 4Runner the Explorers have weak roofs, why so many people who rolled them with FireStones are now parallized or dead.

At least once a month their is an Explorer sitting at the body shop with a roof that has been pushed in so much it looks as if it broke the drivers neck, with just seeing that I would never buy an Explorer.

Go with the 4runner if safty is main concern drive safe and smart and you should never get in an accident

Last edited by EDGE; 02-11-2003 at 09:36 PM.
Old 02-11-2003, 09:27 PM

oldskool95max:

I was in almost exactly the same situation as you. I got my 4Runner after badly wrecking my 300zx and was very leary about driving cars again. I looked at all the SUV's and the 4Runners are aesthetically the nicest looking ones (IMO the Explorer's are way too bulky) with the best build qualities and engines.

You can't go wrong with a 4Runner
Old 02-12-2003, 05:28 AM
Contributing Member

I bought my 98 LTD (Tacoma) for $18K and sold it for $17,200 almost 2 years later. Now that's resale!

Try that with an Exploder.
Old 02-12-2003, 05:47 AM

I havent owned my 4Runner for very long, but I was in a similar situation as you. When I was looking, I narrowed it down to a 98 4Runner or 01 Explorer Sport.
I heard way too much bad stuff about the Explorer, such as rattles, poor interior build quality, bad ride, etc. from existing owners. The ford got worse MPG, and had a far worse resale value. I heard very little bad about 4Runners,
summed up in : bad rear axle seals, some rattles. Thats all I heard.
As far as safety, well, I just didnt care, so ask someone else

Personally, I decided on the 4Runner (with 69k mis instead of 30k on the FORD). So far I havent regretted it. (though with gas prices now, Im kindof wishing I would've gotten the Jetta TDI).

Oh BTW, I have owned a 94 Ranger, 89 Tempo, and my parents have owned about 3 Tauruses (sp?) and a Tracer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 96 4Runner VS. 99 Explorer