Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

96 4Runner door ajar wire (door trigger)

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96 4Runner door ajar wire (door trigger)

Im trying to install some lights that turn on when the doors are open. I cannot figure out which wire it is that triggers the door ajar light or even says the doors are open.

I found something that said it was behind the fuse box on a 3 pin connector. Well i tapped into it the wire it said and it didn't work.
So then i tapped into the next closest wire that said it would work and it was the opposite. The wire gets power when the door is closed.

Does anyone know what wire is the door trigger?
Old 12-21-2006, 08:40 PM
Contributing Member

x2 on the question!

I would like to do this for my rocklights when I get them installed
Old 12-21-2006, 10:10 PM

Hey all,

From what I recall when installing my alarm system, the wire that turns on the dome light along with the door open signal is behind the fuse box in the driver's panel. I believe it is a small guage black wire with a silver stripe on it. Grounding this wire turns on dome light and door open sign on dash. My experiences listed here are from a 1997 4Runner Limited.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:19 PM

Well that sounds very simliar to what i found online. I found on the12volt.com that it was behind the fuse panel. it is a black/white wire on a 3 prong connector. I can only find one three prong behind it so i tried that and nothing happened....
Does this sound like what you used? I notice you mention that grounding it is what turns the light on. Is the wire not hot? Is it just a ground?
Old 12-21-2006, 10:47 PM

Ok I just checked on my truck. It is right behind the driver's fuse box along with a whole set of other wires. Behind the fuse box, there are several white coloured plugs that hold about 12 wires each that plug into the back of the fuse box. It has a configuration like this:

top of fuse box
[1][2]
[3][4]
[5][6]
[7][8]<---this is the one it's plugged into (closest to the driver's fender)
bottom of fuse box (closest to the floor)

Look for module [8] and look for a black wire with a write stripe. For reference, other wires I found near this one and on the same module[8] are blue/red and black/yellow.

I can't recall exactly how this wire is in terms of being hot or not. What I do for a quick test (my voltmeter is broken right now) is hook up pin 86 of a relay to +12V and I probe the wire in question with the 85 pin. If the relay clicks, then the wire is grounded. If the relay doesn't click, then the wire might be at +12V. This test is safe because the relay either gets 0V to it, or a full 12V. Also, the impedance of a relay is very high because of the many windings used in it -> it doesn't draw much current at all. I hope this helps.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:14 PM

the wire shows ground when doors (not hatch) open.

theres another wire at driver kick panel (DKP) leadin to rear, black/white, also a trigger. isolate it w/ a relay.
Originally Posted by chadbobb
Well that sounds very simliar to what i found online. I found on the12volt.com that it was behind the fuse panel. it is a black/white wire on a 3 prong connector. I can only find one three prong behind it so i tried that and nothing happened....
Does this sound like what you used? I notice you mention that grounding it is what turns the light on. Is the wire not hot? Is it just a ground?
Old 12-22-2006, 12:23 AM

DIRECTWIRE? WIRING INFORMATION - TOYOTA / 4RUNNER / 1996 / Remote Start

12volts white - white/red + ignition harness

Starter black + ignition harness

Ignition black/yellow + ignition harness

Second Ignition blk/yel or blk/red + ignition harness

Accessory blue/red + ignition harness

Power Lock red/white - 10 pin plug, left of fusebox

Power Unlock red/yellow - 10 pin plug, left of fusebox

Parking Lights+ green white plug, front of fusebox

Parking Lights- red/white steering column

Door Trigger black/white - DKP, harness to rear

Trunk/Hatch Pin red/white - DKP, harness to rear

Tachometer black ac ignitor or diag. plug
Notes: Ignitor is on passenger side fender well. Diagnostic connector is on drivers side top of motor.

Brake Wire green/white + at switch

Horn Trigger green/red - steering column

This is a DEI print out for your 96 4runner. Use the black/white wire to trigger a relay. It is in the drivers kick panel. When you go to test this wire it will show power on it until you open the door then it will go to ground. On my 97 4runner I hooked up the rear light and a set of under dash lights to trigger when I opened the doors. Which is basicly what you wan to do.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:49 AM

Ok. I used the black/white wire.

What i did was connect the switch post on the relay to a constant 12v. And then i connected the ground on the relay into the black/white wire that grounds when the doors open. It doesn't turn the light on when the back door is open, but it does for the other 4 doors are open.

I did this for puddle lights. I also hooked it up in a switch so i can turn the light on even when the doors are closed, and have it so that even if the doors are open the lights are off. So its just it works just like the dome light now [on][off][door]

I don't think this is bad on the relay right? The only thing im doing now is using the ground on the relay as the switch. That should be fine right?