Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

96 4runner 5vz-fe, random top end knock?, link to video aswell.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 06:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96 4runner 5vz-fe, random top end knock?, link to video aswell.

Hello and thank you for veiwing,
I have a 1996 4runner sr5 5spd, i purchased it with a burnt out clutch and replaced that when i had gotten back home, but during the installation/ removal i had torn apart the connector for the bank 1 o2 sensor, the pins had come out of the wire harness and ends up the connector was lost.
So it has had the Cel on for a while now with bank 1 o2 sensor code, thats alright, retarded timing and poor gas milage, whats better?
Some time after i was driving and i got a knock sensor code, it came and then i cleared and had gone away for a couple days. "Ok awsome" i think, nope comes back so thats been on and off lately i thought it would be the harness, but toyota where i live says that they have discontinued the harness for the knock sensor, and i dont want to buy an engine harness as its almost the price of a new motor.
Just recently doing some light wheeling in the snow i was getting "un stuck" and it just started knocking randomly, loud enough to hear in the cab because i have some of my interior shift boots off for thr 02 sensor i tried to rewire.
Didnt want to start it thinking it was worse than it is, we towed it out of the pit, got to the garage and had to start it to pull it in, and what do you know it went away after about 2 minutes.
took a look at the timing and the cams were good and crank was at 5 degrees, also changed the oil it looked good no signs of and metal, also thinking of looking at the valve clearences and see if theres any signs of wear in the head.
it comes and goes, some days it will be all good some days it sounds like its trying to throw a rod through the block., <- over exageration but still.
Hopefully that wasnt too long and some one has some ideas, also reading insufficent coolant temp for closed loop control code.
THANKS!
Heres the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF-if...ature=youtu.be
Old 03-08-2014, 02:56 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honestly it sounds like something is litterally hitting something, like caught in the timing belt/clutch area and it getting spun around. I would try pulling the timing belt cover off and just see what you can see before you dig much deeper.

Also fix that O2 sensor! It running rich and retarding timing can melt a valve over the long term.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:49 AM

I looked at the timing belt and everything looks fine I took the right side valve cover off the right side and all valves were within spec, no minimum or max reading from spec,
I don't even think it's in the motor now, the head is pretty clean, no signs of damage,
As for the o2 sensor iv tryed to reqire it but I do tnknownif I. Throwing resistance off or something, seriously confusing and I don't want to but a new harness
Old 03-08-2014, 07:49 AM
Contributing Member

It doesn't sound like it is in the motor, get a mechanics stethoscope and pinpoint where it is coming from.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
It doesn't sound like it is in the motor, get a mechanics stethoscope and pinpoint where it is coming from.
Alright il just have to pick it up from home and il try im just in. The middle of taking the second valve cover off to see clearances, then once together il see where it's comming from, thanks
Old 03-08-2014, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Lukas965spd
Alright il just have to pick it up from home and il try im just in. The middle of taking the second valve cover off to see clearances, then once together il see where it's comming from, thanks
Took a spark plug and the four tabs are off the bottom!! Noo, now to look at clearances and then take the dam head off
Old 03-08-2014, 11:12 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Lukas965spd
Took a spark plug and the four tabs are off the bottom!! Noo, now to look at clearances and then take the dam head off
Ouch, it might have ingested something in that case.

If so then time for a new motor, don't even mess with fixing this one. See that kind of damage before, not worth the hassle or money to fix.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
Ouch, it might have ingested something in that case.

If so then time for a new motor, don't even mess with fixing this one. See that kind of damage before, not worth the hassle or money to fix.
I plan on buying a water pump and timing belt and if the damage isn't to bad this motor will get it if not a new one from Toronto Jdm
Old 03-08-2014, 09:16 PM

Yep piston isn't damaged cylinder walls are all smooth with no gouges I'm guessing that some metal was holding some valves open during compression, will take valves out on that cylinder and see if the valve is alright. Will upload photos if you want
Old 03-09-2014, 04:22 AM
Contributing Member

Sure, post some pics, pics are always good.