Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

96' 4-Runner MAF harness pin out

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 11:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96' 4-Runner MAF harness pin out

I just swapped over to the 99-02 MAF and airbox. I had to repinned my MAF harness to make it work. It does work and I'm wondering if anyone here can tell me what color wires goes where on the harness itself. I need it for a write-up I'm about to do.

Since my MAF died on my 96' 4-Runner V-6, it was cheaper (barely) to switch over to the later year MAF. The early year (96-98) MAF, if it were to go out I believe dealer list the sensor for $560.00. 99-04 MAF sensor list for $130.00 bucks. I believe from 99~on 4-Runner/Tacoma all switched to the current MAF sensor.

So if anyone can tell me what wires goes where, I greatly appreciate it and will credit to those who help me in the write up.

Here are some pics I took tonight and manage to labeled everything.

http://www.race-works.com/ty/cars/4Runner/MAF/
Old 04-22-2005, 03:03 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BATF
I just swapped over to the 99-02 MAF and airbox. I had to repinned my MAF harness to make it work. It does work and I'm wondering if anyone here can tell me what color wires goes where on the harness itself. I need it for a write-up I'm about to do.

Since my MAF died on my 96' 4-Runner V-6, it was cheaper (barely) to switch over to the later year MAF. The early year (96-98) MAF, if it were to go out I believe dealer list the sensor for $560.00. 99-04 MAF sensor list for $130.00 bucks. I believe from 99~on 4-Runner/Tacoma all switched to the current MAF sensor.

So if anyone can tell me what wires goes where, I greatly appreciate it and will credit to those who help me in the write up.

Here are some pics I took tonight and manage to labeled everything.

http://www.race-works.com/ty/cars/4Runner/MAF/
If mine does ever go out I would do exactly the same thing you are doing, it is so much cheaper to retrofit the new sensor than getting an older style (eventually they will be harder to find in junkyards so I'd rather pay the $130 for a new sensor than $560 ).

Sorry, I don't have the pinout handy to help you.
Once I get home from my trip and someone still hasn't chimed in, I will find it.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:14 AM
Contributing Member

Since my MAF died on my 96' 4-Runner V-6
Not cool dude: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57455
Old 04-22-2005, 07:58 AM

I'm not trying to burn anyone here. I'm just trying to recoup the cost of the new MAF and the airbox I had spent. If you read my post I said the MAF is died. This was based on the assumptopn when I tested it out on my friend's 2004 Tacoma. At the same time I didn't realized the MAF harness wiring pinout is different from 99'~on till last night. That's why I ask if anyone here with a 96' can tell me the wiring color on the MAF harness itself and which color wires goes where. From there I can repinned the harness back and test it out and give 100% diagnoses. But in the meantime I just want to get rid of the old MAF and airbox. It's taking up space in my garage.

I searched extensively on the 4x4 wire and here and the best result I got was "how to clean the MAF". Didn't find anything about using 99~on MAF on the earlier year.

Here's my contribution to this community. You can buy the MAF sensor itself from the dealer for around $130.00 as I stated. The other option instead of getting the factory airbox. Your other option is either a K&N FIPK kit or an aftermarket intake like Injen. They make a kit for the 99-2002 4-Runner/Tacoma that is CARB legal for those who live here in California.

Sorry I wasn't clear on my post about the MAF being good or not. I'm just asking $130 for the airbox and the MAF. Not too sure if MAF is good or not. But at this point I'm willing to bet that it's still good.

Thanks again,

Last edited by BATF; 04-22-2005 at 08:15 AM.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:25 AM
Contributing Member

No problem man. Thanks for clarifying to everyone. Unfortunately we have seen some bad apples come through here, therefore we must be on the defensive with every seller. Sounds like you are a good guy and just switched some wording around.

Just looking out for all my homies.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:39 AM

It's all good. I would do the same here if I run across a post like mine. I see that you have a 97' 4-Runner like mine. You mind going out and looking under the hood and tell me which wires goes where? If you look at my post I posted a link where I snap some picture after the swap. So those who need to replace their sensor soon. They know which wire to swap to use the current MAF.

Ty
Old 04-22-2005, 10:14 AM
Contributing Member

Ty-

I would, but I am currently at work and do not have the vehicle with me. I should be able to snap a pic later this afternoon though - if you still need it.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:31 AM
lee
Contributing Member

on my 96' 4-Runner V-6
I see that you have a 97' 4-Runner like mine.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:56 AM
Contributing Member

Maybe he meant my 96.

Either way I'll see what I can do.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:17 PM
Contributing Member

It's all good. I would do the same here if I run across a post like mine. I see that you have a 97' 4-Runner like mine. You mind going out and looking under the hood and tell me which wires goes where? If you look at my post I posted a link where I snap some picture after the swap. So those who need to replace their sensor soon. They know which wire to swap to use the current MAF.

Ty
I'd assume you need people to go a little further than just looking under the hood, right?
I would think you need a pic of the wiring diagram (which has wire colors idicated).
Old 04-22-2005, 01:28 PM

Did I say that? My bad, man getting by with 3 hours sleep sucks. I saw the screen name 96 Runner and I see that he's selling a 97'. Either way I'm tired and the truck just throw another code again. From what I remember I repinned three wires. The 5 volt power for the IAT, the (VG), and the E2G had to be switch. I have a feeling the E2 (ground for the IAT) and E2G had to be switch with each other. I won't know till later tonight when I pull the codes again.

96 Runner,

I just need to know what color wires goes where on the MAF harness. Looking at the plug with the wire coming toward you, from left to right. Just need to see what color is what. The rest I can figure out with my multi-tester. For now the picture I post. Don't go by that till I figure what code is the ECU throwing. :cry:

Originally Posted by lee

Last edited by BATF; 04-22-2005 at 01:30 PM.
Old 04-22-2005, 01:35 PM
Contributing Member

Did I say that? My bad, man getting by with 3 hours sleep sucks. I saw the screen name 96 Runner and I see that he's selling a 97'. Either way I'm tired and the truck just throw another code again. From what I remember I repinned three wires. The 5 volt power for the IAT, the (VG), and the E2G had to be switch. I have a feeling the E2 (ground for the IAT) and E2G had to be switch with each other. I won't know till later tonight when I pull the codes again.

96 Runner,

I just need to know what color wires goes where on the MAF harness. Looking at the plug with the wire coming toward you, from left to right. Just need to see what color is what. The rest I can figure out with my multi-tester. For now the picture I post. Don't go by that till I figure what code is the ECU throwing. :cry:
Didn't you have that info on yours when you started (you had the old style too, right)?
I must be missing something here.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:05 PM

Stupid me didn't write which wires goes where before I re-pinned it to accept the newer style MAF. All I can see what colors the wires is, just don't know where they go, cause on the 96'-98' the (VG) is not in the middle of the sensor. If you pull your plug out you can see one of the terminal to the right of the middle one is a gold plated terminal. I remember vaguely is the MAF sensor output (VG) is to the right, and the 5 Volt power for the IAT had to be switched.

If anyone here can just snap a good close up picture of their MAF plug, I can figure the rest.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:29 PM
Contributing Member

Old 04-22-2005, 02:34 PM

Thank you sir!!
Old 04-22-2005, 07:32 PM

I borrowed my friend MAF from his 98' 4-Runner and re-pinned the MAF harness back to stock. Install his MAF on my Runner and went datalogging with it.

With the newer year MAF, from what I see on the logs. Airflow is pretty linear compare to RPM, short fuel trim, and timing. No recalibration needed as of yet.

I did a couple WOT on long hills on the toll roads here and timing seem to be pretty good for running crappy 87 octane Socal gas.

Right now the vehicle get's a tad bit better gas mileage, my speculation is that it's a new sensor compare to an old one.

I'm just happy to see the CEL light doesn't come on anymore and driving the 4-Runner again. When time permits I'm going to weld an extra o2 bung before the cat and check it with a Lambda meter and see the air/fuel with my buddy MAF and the new one. I'll post some data later. Give me about 2-3 days and I'll do a short writeup on how to convert your 96-98 MAF to the newer one.

I went the expensive route of buying the new airbox from the dealer. I'll sure cheaper one can be found elsewhere from junkyards to eBay.

The mounting holes on the airbox is the same for all year 3rd GEN 4-Runner. But the pinout on the MAF harness is different from 96-98 and 99~on.

<96Runner> help me by snapping a pic of his harness so I can revert back to using the 96-98 MAF.

Here is a picture of the stock 96-98 MAF harness.

Looking at the picture above. From left to right you can see the following wires. Black w/white stripe, brown w/black stripe, yellow w/green stripe, red w/white stripe, and white w/green stripe.

After repinning the harness it should look like this.

After re-pinning the harness to use with the 99~on MAF, from left to right it should be the following.

black w/white stripe, yellow w/green stripe, red w/white stripe, brown w/black stripe, and white w/green stripe.

Hope that helps..

I'll do a write-up later and I'll link it to my site. O btw you can find the same topic here on the 4x4wire.com

Thanks again,
Old 04-22-2005, 07:36 PM
Contributing Member

Sweet, keep us posted!
Old 04-22-2005, 07:39 PM

My question is, has anyone done this before? I searched the various Toyota message board and it yielded no negilable results. I hope this help those who still own the 96-98 4-Runner/Tacoma and be a cheaper alternative to buying a new MAF from the dealer at a outrageous price.

Ty
Old 04-24-2005, 05:45 AM
Contributing Member

My question is, has anyone done this before? I searched the various Toyota message board and it yielded no negilable results. I hope this help those who still own the 96-98 4-Runner/Tacoma and be a cheaper alternative to buying a new MAF from the dealer at a outrageous price.

Ty
I don't think has been done alot of times, but certianly might be because you have done the hard part (figuring out wiring and pinouts tends to be the deterrent for most) for us. One huge advantage is that the newer sensor is easier to clean than the older style (and thus you may be getting better gas mileage). I read Gadget's post about calibration and I don't think it is needed since both sensors are linear voltage outputs on a 0-5V scale and the ECU will adapt to a small degree since not all sensors will have exactly the same output even from the same part number. Great post!

Did the CEL come on again after?

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 04-24-2005 at 05:50 AM.
Old 04-24-2005, 11:26 AM

No more CEL. When I install and remove the airbox I accidentally bumped one of the emission hose loose and cracked it. Replace the hose with a silicone type and reset the CEL. (P0306 Cylinder 6 Misfire Detected )

Topped the tank off and so far I got about 160miles and the needle is on the half way mark. Which I never seen before since I bought the Runner 2 years ago. Best I got was 290ish and that was driving from LA to Phoenix last year.

Next project? I'm going to wire in a Apex'i AFC and a AEM wideband air/fuel guage . I want to get the maximum mileage per tank since gas prices been shooting up faster than Russia space program.

Quick Reply: 96' 4-Runner MAF harness pin out