Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

96-04 3.4 Engines

Old 03-28-2014, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96-04 3.4 Engines

Hey everyone.

At some point in the next year, I will be looking at replacing the engine in my 97 4Runner, and I have some questions. In my research I have come across places saying that 96-98 engines will work only, others saying the 3.4 in both tacos and 4runners interchange with ease through all years (96-04), that Prerunner/2wd engines are different then 4wds (only in oil pan, I would imagine), and that you cannot put a manual 3.4 in front of an automatic (nothing said about needing or not needing a pilot bearing).

I am aware that I may be asking some bonehead questions, but are there really these issues, or is it as I hope it is, that 6-04 3.4 engines will work across the board, sans oil pans from 2wds. I appreciate all info that I can be given. This is my first 4runner, and I have to say that i am rather attached to it. Plus I can't afford to replace it.

Thanks all.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:42 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Just why do you need to replace your engine??

The engine has no idea if it is in front of a auto or manual transmission.

It is the ECM that is the main difference between auto and manual.Then the auto trans controls

Over the years a few minor differences it pretty much means matching the sensors and harness with what ECM your running .

The early ones use the big clunky MAF sensor

Have you read through the 3.4 swap section?? Just to get information on these engines.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:17 AM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can get as new of a 3.4 5vz as you want. You will only be using it for the long block. By this I mean that you'll need to swap over all your electronics/sensors, injectors, and harness. Just use the hard parts from the new motor(block and complete heads. You may need to swap your oil pan and baffle. If its new enough it will have throttle by wire so you'll need to swap over your throttle body as well.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Just why do you need to replace your engine??

The engine has no idea if it is in front of a auto or manual transmission.

It is the ECM that is the main difference between auto and manual.Then the auto trans controls

Over the years a few minor differences it pretty much means matching the sensors and harness with what ECM your running .

The early ones use the big clunky MAF sensor

Have you read through the 3.4 swap section?? Just to get information on these engines.

Well, to be truthful, I plan on keeping the truck for a long time. It has 232K on it, I had to have no. 1 sparkplug retapped recently, and I was told that to put new headgaskets in it (and a new head) would be not cost effective. That, a leaky rear main seal (hardly noticeable, but there), and sluggish performance lead me to looking at either a lower mileage motor, or a rebuilt/built one.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:19 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Wow I wish I was closer to get your old engine.

Then if you need to pay labor to change head gaskets it would be cheaper to get a new engine.

Why pray tell do you need new head gaskets and a new head??

Did you run without coolant ?? Crack the heads ??

Maybe no oil and took out the cams ??

people strip spark plug threads in aluminum heads on a daily basis if not by the hour.

your engine go for a new long block .
Old 04-05-2014, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Wow I wish I was closer to get your old engine.

Then if you need to pay labor to change head gaskets it would be cheaper to get a new engine.

Why pray tell do you need new head gaskets and a new head??

Did you run without coolant ?? Crack the heads ??

Maybe no oil and took out the cams ??

people strip spark plug threads in aluminum heads on a daily basis if not by the hour.

your engine go for a new long block .

Nope, truck runs fine. Just seems down on power. The desire to change heads and gaskets is simply an ODC response to having the plug being stripped out and repaired. To replace the head, I need to do gasket, and why do only one when you have to go that deep into the engine. Thats just me. But the truck doesnt leak or use coolant, other then the rear main weeping a small bit of oil, no oil is burned or used.

This engine replacement is a project that is still a while off. I want to make this truck my exploration truck as well as my daily driver (which it currently is), and having it be fresh and reliable is a desire of mine. The work i do requires a reliable, tough 4x4 at times, and I want this to be 100%.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:47 AM

Wolf...

If you are ocd, wouldn't you be annoyed not knowing the history of the new engine compared to what you know about your own, assuming you are the original owner?

Also, how is it new heads and the labor are more expensive than a new engine and the labor?
Old 04-06-2014, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by amalik
Wolf...

If you are ocd, wouldn't you be annoyed not knowing the history of the new engine compared to what you know about your own, assuming you are the original owner?

Also, how is it new heads and the labor are more expensive than a new engine and the labor?
Saying it is an OCD response is not saying I have Ocd. I simply want the heads to not have any such repairs at all. Thats just what I want.

As for me being the original owner, no, I am not. I purchased the truck a year and a half ago with 210K on it, and for the price I paid, I really cannot complain.

If i found a lower milage motor, or found one and had it rebuilt, I can put it in. In my mind, that is a simpler job then to take it all apart in the truck, replace the head gaskets and head(s) and put it back together while still in the vehicle.
I was also told by the mechanic who did the spark plug repair that to put head gaskets in wouldn't be cost effective for a motor with 232K on it.
Why spend 1800 bucks on gaskets when spending 2000 will get a rebuilt motor?

Thats just me. I may come up with something else. The truck could get totaled. I could go buy a Nissan. Who knows? This is simply a fact finding mission.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1800 will get you a JDM (japanese domestic market) engine with 40 to 60k miles

look on e-bay
Old 04-06-2014, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by donomite49
1800 will get you a JDM (japanese domestic market) engine with 40 to 60k miles

look on e-bay
Something about that sounds BS to me. The latest 3rd gen model at this point would still be from 12 years ago. They magically have a bunch of 5VZFE's in Japan sitting around with 40k miles on them? OK.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:18 PM

Something about that sounds BS to me. The latest 3rd gen model at this point would still be from 12 years ago. They magically have a bunch of 5VZFE's in Japan sitting around with 40k miles on them? OK.
actually.... they do. this has been going on for years, i have bought and installed around 8 different "jdm" motors and transmissions. i have a semi local place that i deal with. Japanstar in albany ny. i have had really good luck.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts