Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

'95 4Runner fuel filter

Old 09-04-2003, 03:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question '95 4Runner fuel filter

Ok guys im new to this site and have a question about my fuel filter. Ive searched here to find an answer but cant find it so im gonnna ask. I tried to replace my filter with no luck at all afraid the fuel line is gonna break my question is........can i cut the line on both sides of the filter and splice a generic fit clamp on filter in line and clamp rubber fuel hose to the metal lines and fit one in that way? Maybe a dumb question but ive given up on removing the nuts on the old filter but my Runner has 150,000 miles and still the original filter from what i gather from the previous owner so i think it needs a new one! Any info would be great! This is a great site glad i found it!
Old 09-04-2003, 03:52 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't do it because most EFI systems have high pressure pumps and there is the possibility for leakage around regular hose fittings. Toyota put those expensive fittings there for a reason...otherwise they would have saved some money and pocketed it.
Old 09-04-2003, 04:59 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Make sure to hit the fittings with liquid wrench or PB blaster before trying to remove them. It may even work to try and tighten the fitting before you loosen it (sounds crazy but I find it works sometimes). You really don't want to install any other filter than the OEM version for exactly the reason gwhayduke indicated.
You can even try some visegrips on it if it is too rusted and the wrench keeps slipping. If you really can't get it off then pay a shop to do it......just don't wait so long before the next time you change it.
Old 09-04-2003, 03:27 PM

I had that same problem on my 1996, and I actually used some Tri Flow on the nuts and it worked for me.
Old 09-04-2003, 04:47 PM

Re: '95 4Runner fuel filter

Originally posted by mattk
can i cut the line on both sides of the filter and splice a generic fit clamp on filter in line and clamp rubber fuel hose to the metal lines and fit one in that way? Maybe a dumb question

Well, no question is dumb What would have been dumb if you had actually done it, and THEN had asked questions after you would have had fuel spray all over hot exhaust, and your truck gone up in flames

The method you thought of using only works on NON pressurized (read: non fuel injected) fuel systems. Since your truck is fuel injected, the fuel going through the filter is under high pressure, that is the reason it has pressurized fittings. Older carburated cars did not have high pressure fuel systems, so rubber hoses and hose clamps worked fine, but don't try that on a modern car.

If you cannot get them off, and your truck funs fine, I would leave it alone. Alternatively, you may have to replace the entire line with the fuel filter in it. I would not bother unless truck runs poorly.
Old 09-05-2003, 02:28 AM

Thanks guys for the info! Yeah im glad i asked before i tried doing this........lol! I have tried all kinds of penetrating oil to bust these things loose but with no success. It does seem to run fine but the other day every once in a while i start it up and it want to hesitate and run real rough. it does this hot or cold and it idles around 600 rpm's then it will smooth out after i run it a bit then idles around 900-1000 rpm's. Anyone know what this might be? thanks again for the info on the fuel filter i may just leave it in there for now. This site rocks!
Old 09-05-2003, 04:21 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would start first by making sure all the regular tuneup stuff has been done. Things like cap and rotor (if you have one), plugs, make sure wires are in good shape, PCV valve, air filter, fuel filter (if you can get it off) and finally one of the most negleted areas......clean the throttle body.

The high ide may be none of the above but it is important to have a good baseline to start with before you go diagnosing things. I would bet the high idle might be a vacum leak somewhere so check all the hoses going into the intake for cracks and make sure they have not fallen off. A large vacum leak will give you a hissing sound while a smaller one might be a bit tougher to find. If you don find any, check ack and we'll keep going from there.