Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

93 v6 Mass Air Flow Sensor internal connections

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2003, 05:48 AM
cc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 v6 Mass Air Flow Sensor internal connections

When I was installing my K&N air filter I accidently tore out the electronics cable instead of disconnecting it like less of a barbarian.. So on the inside of the MAF there is some broken connections. 3 finger type connections with tiny loop back soldered connections going right back to the fingers... Well I broke the connections that go back to the fingers and am wondering if this is why when I'm on a hill it down shifts to 2nd ( Automatic tranny ) and then seems to barely touch 3rd before it jumps in 4th and bogs, at which point I press on the peddle a bit more and it jumps back to 2nd and so on... Whined and bog whined and bog.. Anyone out there know if these MAF connections could cause this ? These connections are tiny and resoldering them is sketchy for fear of completely disabling the rig... Any response is appriciated..Thanks
Old 06-07-2003, 03:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well i did the same thing, i did solder mine however. which let the truck run..but i never had any problems with shifting or anything, i just got horrible gas mileage due to the bad mixture of gas and oxygen.
Old 06-07-2003, 03:24 PM
Contributing Member

Did you have any problems before you messed up the AFM? If not, then that would be your problem. I'm not sure why it would mess with the tranny though. Maybe because the power coming from your engine is intermittent because of the damage to the AFM. That's just a guess.

If I were you I would try to find a used one somewhere. I would first look on ebay. I've seen an AFM show up there a few times. That is also probably your best bet pricewise too.

Good Luck
Old 06-07-2003, 06:57 PM
cc

Smile RE: 93 v6 Mass Air Flow Sensor internal connections, THANKS

Well thanks peeps,
The K&N was one of the first things I did when I got the runner so I'm not sure how it was before and to add to the pain I put a Performance chip in and the thing was malfunctioning and pulling the whole electrical system down even though it was turned off. Trying to troubleshoot that problem I think I tweaked the throttle and tranny adjustments too much and maybe thats the shifting problem, gota do more testing. As far as the tiny connections in the MAF or AFM ? I think I got it soldered ok except for one of the fingers. The middle one ofcourse. The way the finger sits ontop of the little connection that goes back to the finger came off the electronic -board and by the looks of the other two I'm not sure how they are stuck to the board ? Doesn't really look soldered ? Do I need a microscope or what ? What I did is slipped the connection under the finger and soldered the other end of the connection to the finger deal.. Think that's suficient ? Seems pretty tight in there.. Can't believe how simple it is to get the cable off without tearing the inside.. Geeez, hard lesson to learn.. Ya, my gas milage is crappy too. Maybe it will get better now. Thanks for all your feedback..