Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

93 4Runner Power Steering Pump and Water Pump/Thermostat Replacement

Old 11-16-2005, 11:12 AM
Lucky_13

93 4Runner Power Steering Pump and Water Pump/Thermostat Replacement

I need some help with this!! I have to replace the Power Steering pump and water pump on my 93 4Runner. I read the post from LOUIS, and the Downey write-up for Water pump/Timing Belt, however i have not seen anything concerning the power steering pump. I was wondering if any one could lend me some pictures of the power steering pump replacement as well as maybe some more info for the water pump. I own a chiltons manual, but step by step detailed instructions from any of you couldnt hurt. i appreciate any help that you might be willing to lend me, but I have to be able to take care of these two things this weekend. You get the idea. Thanks guys.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:54 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^^^^^^^^ flame bait....

check http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-buchanan/93fsm/ for the complete factory service manual.

check http://www.snjschmidt.com/timing_belt.html for some of my pics of my timeing belt/water pump replacement.

youll need a puller to get the powerstearing pump pully off (least ive always needed one)

and youll want to search the various subjects... LOTS of info, its been asked MANY times.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:22 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, follow snap-on's write up. It's good and has great pictures too.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:03 AM
Lucky_13

Thanks for the links, you guys are awsome. I dont think I will have any problem with this stuff now. I'll make sure to take lots of pics and post them. Hopefully it will help someone else.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:30 AM

Location: Grew up in Santa Clarita/San Fernando Valley's...now in Washington State
Your power steering pump isn't rebuildable huh? Seems to me it's a lot cheaper then replacing the whole thing
Old 11-17-2005, 07:08 AM

Power steeering pump is easy, just unbolt/unbelt + replace or rebuild.

FSM has a long procedure about bleeding the ABS system with a lot of special tools. I didn't do any of this, took about a few miles for the power steering pump to start working. Working great every since.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:37 AM

It's easy to a point...with mine everything that could go wrong did go wrong. I had to cut the inside mount bolt, air hammer off the pulley, ended up breaking the little plastic vacum connection because it would not come off (dealer said he sells alot of those at $111.00 a piece because most of them will not come off or are worn out even if they will...be prepared to replace this part. It's on the fender side of the pump undneath, attached to it.). Also, there is only like an inch on the main hose to work around and pull it back up so it is a beeeotch to reconnect.

Last but not least, on the pressure line, it is one of those pressure fittings that has the nut with holes in it (crap design on that part). Guys told me when its tight all the holes line up and the fluid flows...NOT. You have to tighten it a little further to keep it from spraying all over the engine and you when you start up...just be careful here and try to feel when its right when you take it off...best advice I can give here...

These machines are getting old in some cases...just be prepared for a little more going in. Also ck your resevoir very carefully for leaks...when we got mine all together I thought I had cked it but turned out there was a little pinhole near the bottom that had been covers with grime for a long time...Had to pull it back off and fix with JB Weld...WORKS GREAT NOW!!!!

Oh...after install make sure to ck it on and off for the next couple weeks...my resevoir worked its way a little loose and started a small leak...tightened it back up and voila...job done.

Last edited by ctcost; 11-17-2005 at 08:38 AM.