Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

93 3.0 issues; please help :dunno:

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 12:37 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 93 3.0 issues; please help :dunno:

Why is this piece circled in WHITE covered with an oil seepage and dust?

picture of someone's 3vze, NOT my 3vze

On my vehicle, this part is covered in oil seepage... ?

Also, I don't ever smell fuel but i was near the charcoal cansiter when i was searching for the pcv valve and I smelled some fuel. Is this normal? Is the charcoal cansiter or surrounding area supposed to smell a bit like fuel? or is something wrong?

Also, i have a lot of heistation when the motor is cold. After it warms up (about 5 minutes or more if it's really cold out) it drives great and i get great gas mileage, but if i just started it up and the rpms have not gone down to their regular level, the truck hesitates if i press hard on the accelerator.

Could this be attributed to a malfunctioning cold-start injector?

Also, does anyone know the recommended replacement interval for the charcoal canister?

The PCV valve?
Old 09-24-2003, 06:11 AM

BtB: That item you circled is the plug-end of the lead that connects the engine wiring harness to the cold start injector. This injector is to help inject more fuel into the motor upon a cold start-up. It is triggered by the ECU, which gets a signal from a sensor in the coolant stream near the thermostat when the coolant is below a certain temp. It sounds like your cold start injector is not working correctly and thus this is the reason why you are having a hesitant-start situation. It could be either the contacts inside the plug have become fouled and a good cleaning (shot of carb cleaner to remove oily residue) of the plug and the contacts on the cold-start injector.....or the injector is bad. Todd (forum name TOR) just gave me a quote of $109 plus shipping for that injector.

Hope this helps.

David

P.S. I'm not an expert on this but I thought the whole reason for the charcoal canister was to 'deactivate' gas fumes from the gas tank before venting to the atmosphere. That being the case, I would think it quite normal to smell some gas smell around the canister. Maybe someone else can confirm this.
Old 09-24-2003, 06:12 AM

That looks to be Coreys rig I think. Thats the cold start injector and wire connector. If it is bad, you would have a no start problem. There could be oil seepage due to a leak in the injector gasket, or it just might be dirty.

Also, if it cranks right up and runs, but just does not run well, the injector is not the problem. It just gives a shot during the first second of you cranking up. Then its out of the circuit. You have a 5 speed. If it is taking 5 min to get to the proper operating temp, then the thermostat or something may be stuck open. It should reach operating temp within a minuite or 2. If it is below operating temp, the ECU could have the mixture too rich and that may be the bad running problem, or if the injector does have a gaskit leak, then the air fuel mixture wont be right and could affect performance. When the manifold gets warm due to the running, the leak may close up thus alowing the ECU to adjust things properly. Just some after thoughts.

Last edited by williemon; 09-24-2003 at 06:19 AM.
Old 09-24-2003, 01:50 PM
Contributing Member

Just spoke with a service advisor from Toyota. They said the pcv valve should be replaced every 30k miles.

Also, this guy told me that there could be no oil leaking from the cold start injector, that it could only be coolant.

What do you guys think?
Old 09-24-2003, 02:04 PM
Contributing Member

just spoke with a tech from toyota, he said it's probaby the isc valve..? (idle speed control valve)

any thoughts?

Last edited by ByThaBay; 09-24-2003 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-24-2003, 05:49 PM
Contributing Member

That is the cold start injector for sure.. There is no way that it can leak oil, unless you have oil in the intake plenum and the only way it can get there is by massive blow by being recycled into the intake via the PCV system.. That injector is a commom problem and is most likely the cause of your cold start / problems.. However, if I am correct, the cold start injector does not pump fuel while running but only a shot while starting.. So the poor runing at cold could be unrelated. As for the hesitation, I would say clean the
TB and maybe have the injectors cleaned next..
Old 09-24-2003, 07:44 PM
Contributing Member

but if it was the injectors wouldn't it always be hesitating? It only does it when cold and i really press the gas pedal. Also, i just cleaned my throttle body (without removing it ofcourse). I used a toothbrush with TB cleaner and followed the typical cleaning proceedure. Had to adjust idle afterwards but it runs good

the cleaning didn't seem to help the hesitation though.

i think i'm gonna go get the pcv valve replaced sometime this week, i do not want to do it myself becuase i have nobody to guide me and no experience removing one prior, so i'm just gonna give the dealer $50 to do it.

if someone could privde exact instructions with pictures, i'll send them the $50....

j/k

but it would be nice if i could have enough info to do it myself.

anyways, any more suggestions to my hesitation when cold would be appreciated
Old 09-25-2003, 07:08 AM
Contributing Member

The PCV valve is simple to change, just very hard to get to.. All you need to do is pull it out of the grommet and pull the hose off it and put hose onto new PCV and insert back into the valve cover grommet.. The hard part is getting to it.. I say buy the part and see if you can get it out.. If not pay a dealer (of other garage) to install it.. You may find a local garage that has the set of pliers I spoke of that can just pull it right out and put it back in.. They may only charge $20 or maybe even for free??

The cold start injector is a 7th injector that only injects fuel upon start up.. It is not even in the same place as the other injectors