Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

90s 4runner and truck questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
90s 4runner and truck questions

ok, as my little profile says, I currently own an '85 4runner. It has seen better days and I'm close to letting it pass on to truck heaven. However, I need a replacement. Im looking at the 2nd gen 4runner and 3rd gen (same as 2nd gen 4runner?) pickup. I would want 4x4, and hopefully a manual tranny. here is what I'm wondering.

(1) what is the better of those style mentioned (mechanically more than looks)

(2) What kind of price range am I looking at. (I've found a lot that range from 10K down to around 5k)

(3) the whole head gasket problem... what year did that end, what do you guys think is the easiest way to detect that problem?

(4) any other unput?
Old 10-07-2003, 07:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1) mechanically they're pretty much identical. The major difference is the rear suspension where the truck has leafs (leaves?) and the 4runner has coils. Both can be made to flex nicely. This boils down to whether you want to carry people or carry cargo.

2) I think I've seen them anywhere from $5000-8000. 10k is way too much.

3) Well, my 93 is covered under the recall but L33's 95 is not. So, somewhere around there. No good way to predict if it's going to fail, but you can do the standard tests to figure out if it is currently leaking...block test, compression test, milky substance under the oil cap, etc.

4) Manual trannies should be fairly easy to find.
Old 10-07-2003, 08:19 PM
Contributing Member

Don't get the 3.slow. It's a crappy motor. I'm debating getting rid of mine once it's paid off.

Get a newer 3.4L. You will be much happier if you did. 3rd gens started in '96. They had a recall for the HG also but it is for an external leak if I remember right (not as serious). I think that was only for '96 but don't quote me on that.

There's also the 22re (2.4L) is a much better and reliable motor. I know that Toyota has gone to the 2.7L but I don't know when exactly the switch happened.

If you get anything other than the 3.4L, get a 5sp.

And if for some reason you do get a 3.slow, don't get the auto. It sucks even more.

That's my opinion.

Old 10-08-2003, 12:37 PM
Contributing Member

Don't get the 3.slow. It's a crappy motor. I'm debating getting rid of mine once it's paid off.
easy there AG, lets not go about saying things we cannot take back.

sure it had a HG problem, but that was really it. with stock tires, and a 5 speed, they move. there is a huge difference in performance from the auto to 5-speed. the 3.0's have been known to last well beyond 150k miles, if taken care of.

a 3.0 with auto is comparable in performance of a 22re with a 5-speed. ive been looking for a new truck and have been driving a lot of them lately, an it just seems that the auto hampers performance way to much. there's a guy on pirate who pulls a 6K pound trailer and buggy with his 3.0/5speed combo in a pickup. he says it is more than adequate, as long as you are not racing up hills.

as for prices, you pretty much got it right. every once in a while you will spot a tacoma for under $8,ooo, with v-6 and extended cab. at least arround here i see them.

the new 2.4, the 2.7, and the 3.4 all started the same time. 2.7 has bassically the same power figures as the 3.0, so that may be a viable option for you. they are pretty impressive for a 4-popper.
Old 10-08-2003, 12:46 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally posted by joez
Exactly...
I am very happy with my 3.slow engine.
Other than the head gasket issue, it's a great low end torque motor.

Mine gets daily use on freeways, and other than not being able to accelerate like a Corvette, I am happy with it.
Old 10-08-2003, 01:03 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Corey
Exactly...
I am very happy with my 3.slow engine.
Other than the head gasket issue, it's a great low end torque motor.

Mine gets daily use on freeways, and other than not being able to accelerate like a Corvette, I am happy with it.
Yeah, the 3.0 isn't a bad engine, I love mine, my friend's '90 is nearing 210,000 or so miles and still runs as good as any low mileage 3.0 I've seen. 4Runners/trucks with the 3.0 do a good job at what they were made for, apparently speed isnt exactly one of them, but it's not that bad, it can maintain highway speeds.
Old 10-08-2003, 03:51 PM
Contributing Member

Sorry guys, I think I'm having power withdrawals. My dodge had way more power and I think I'm beginning to miss it (not the dodge, just the power). After hearing about people having multiple head gaskets blow, I feel like I'm driving on borrowed time. I'd really hate to spend $3+G's on a motor that I don't like. I don't feel like I have the mechanical know-how to tackle a project that big so I'd have to pay someone to do it.

Because of reliability and ease to work on, I'm thinking about trying to pick up a 1st gen (22re 5 sp.) once my 4runner is paid off. Then I would spend some money on it to make the power a little better. It seems that my vehicles are getting older and older ('95 then my '93 and maybe a 1st gen). I'm really not sure what I'm going to do. I've had a truck payment since I was 16. I'd really love to not have a payment anymore and be able to carry liability insurance. That way I could save a little money. If I did that, I may even have enough for a down payment on a house once I graduate.

Guys, I think I may be beginning to stray. I was talking to my friend who has a Lightning and he was telling me about how he had to get somewhere really fast. I remembered the days when I could just smash the pedal to the floor and be at 100 in no time. I'll admit it, the thought of buying another domestic crossed my mine. I miss the power really bad. :cry:

I'm still undecided as of right now on what I'm going to do. In my previous post I was just stating my opinion just like the rest of you can do. My rig has never ran the same since that horrible head gasket job because of the stupid recall. I know that's not the 3.slow's fault. But because of the recall, it is now like it is.

I'll stand by everything that I say. This is how I feel about it. It seems that some people are having to replace their motors in the mid 100K miles while others seem to go forever. It seems like a toss-up to me.

Don't get me wrong, I like everything about my truck except for the power and the motor. It's built well, drives well, and looks great.

Alright, that's enough out of my mouth.