Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

90 Runner, got man. hubs

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manual hubs out, have question

I picked up a set of manual hubs to add to my ADD equipped Runner.

They're off, and I get them cleaned up and they're in good working order. With them off the truck/no gasket or anything. When I have them in the locked position, I can't turn where the spindel would effectly slide into. Now when I move it to free it pulls the gear back. But it still feels engaged, where the spindle would go into (not sure what you would call it) still wont spin (free wheel)

Is it something when on and off the vehicle?

I just figured when in lock I wouldn't be able to just spin that piece (locked and hub would spin), and in freewheel, I'd be able to spin it like nothing.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Chuki; 01-20-2004 at 08:07 PM.
Old 01-21-2004, 04:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is the locking gear staying on your washer? I had mine coming off making my hubs stay locked I reassembled them and they work fine now.
check out this diagram and make sure yours are lined up on the washer like this one.
Old 01-21-2004, 01:35 PM

Yup I have them both exactly like that pic. The "pawl" the washer, is held tight against the clutch gear, exactly how it supposed to be. I'm just wondering if how I'm testing is how its sposed to be tested. When you put them on the truck you have that snapring that goes on the outside of the spindle.

After I got some gaskets, it spaces that farther apart but not it kinda makes a ratcheting noise. Also both manual hubs I have do this. Is it diffrent once on the vehicle? I'm gonna install them and if its not what I may do is when I have it in the freewheel position I can push down a little more on the clutch gear. What I may try is lightly bending the dog ears that actually see the sliding from lock to freewheel, and I think that should pull the clutch back a little more.

Also I have ADD on my hubs, can I re-use my nuts/cone washers? I know the nuts I have now are acorn nuts, and it looks like I have cone washers underneath.

Thanks for anyhelp, and remember both hubs I have off the truck, I wanna put them on my 4runner, and they both do this.

Thanks again!
Old 01-21-2004, 02:16 PM

Reuse all original acorn nuts and cone washers. Be sure to torque to spec. New gaskets. As far as the hubs not disengaging, when I rebuilt mine, I had the same problem, and it turned out to be the larger spring that goes btwn the dial and the clutch. i guess it was not at the right tension. Try a different spring if you can gwet ahold of one. Good Luck.
Old 01-21-2004, 02:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are actually two positions you can mount the dila to the hub body. One right, one wrong. The wrong one won't let the dial turn. The right one will. Mount the hub body with out the dial first, then mount the dial after temp mounting it to check the motion.

I found this out after Meineke had my Runner. First big snow and I go to try to move my dials - NO GO! Pulled the dial off, rotated it like 180 degrees and now it works fine.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:50 PM

My dials turn and everything just fine! It's just not pulling the clutch away far enough. It needs just a hair more like a 32nd of an inch.

Both of my hubs do this. Remember this off the vehicle. I got 2 new star gaskets in hopes of thinking that it may just be a spacer as well. Just enough to pull the clutch fully out of the hub gear.

Now will this be diffrent when I go to mount it on the truck? I was thinking of maybe getting another set of these gaskets, or maybe bending the dog ears on the pawl just a little to see if it'll pull the hub clutch closer.

Thats all that seems to be wrong, just not quite pulling back the hub clutch far enough. I've tried diffrent combo's between the two fo the springs and pawls. Nothing seems to work.

I'm tempted to mount them on and see where that leads, at least until I could mess with them, I could leave them locked in, just like with the ADD hubs.