Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

'89 4runner speedo cable

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'89 4runner speedo cable

I've read a number of posts on here about people needing to grease the speedo cable once it starts making a bunch of noise and pointing at 90mph while only doing about 20mph. Well the dreaded noise started this weekend, so i tried to find the speedo cable. it was easy to find on the transfer case end, but i couldn't reach it on the inside. Is there a way to easily reach the cable on the inside without tearing apart the dash? or is there an easy way to fix the problem another way without tearing apart the dash? The noise is definately coming from the speedometer and not the transfercase side of things. The same thing happened to my old '75 j**p, but that a trivial repair (reach under dash, unhook cable and glue needle back on pointing at 0)
Old 02-16-2004, 12:17 PM
Contributing Member

Mine's been tickin' for a while...I looked up on the t-case but couldn't find an easy way to get to it. I may run to the dealer and have one of the techies take a look at it.

Lemme know how it goes man...

Fink
Old 02-16-2004, 02:18 PM

The cable plugs into the back of the dash. You don't need to take the dash apart but it is a PIA to get to the cable. You will cut your hand on something. Try removing the air vent under the steering column and see if you can reach it that way.
Old 02-16-2004, 02:19 PM

Interesting timing on the post... I'm about ready to put in a new speedo cable (weds night). The tech's said it was the speedometer head unit and that my cable wasn't creating the noise. I opted to replace the cable first (got it for $53 + shipping from yota member TOR - they want $85 for it here in Colorado) since it was much cheaper than the head unit.

I've never done it, but I've been told the cluster will have to come out to replace it. Even though I located where the speedo cable goes through the firewall, I didn't think to look up and see if there is anyway to get to without taking anything out.

I hope this fixes my noise. I don't want to have to buy a new speedo head unit.
Old 02-16-2004, 02:45 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, I'm probably gonna head to the dealers tomorrow and have my buddy there look at it and maybe drive it and try and figure out what it is. I love knowing people at my dealer...I can get so much stuff for free

Fink
Old 02-17-2004, 12:58 PM

I had the 'screaming' speedo problem in 1997 - had the cable replaced. It started again in 1999. Another cable. Again in 2001 - the dealer said it's probably the speedo head, many $$$$. It only did it during the winter so I lived with it for a couple more years. Decided to keep the pig for a few more years so I had the speedo head replaced - $300 and no more noise.
Old 02-17-2004, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by madmin
I had the 'screaming' speedo problem in 1997 - had the cable replaced. It started again in 1999. Another cable. Again in 2001 - the dealer said it's probably the speedo head, many $$$$. It only did it during the winter so I lived with it for a couple more years. Decided to keep the pig for a few more years so I had the speedo head replaced - $300 and no more noise.
Crap. Mine definitely makes the worst noise when its cold out... as the engine warms up, the noise goes away somewhat. Well, guess next month I will be ordering new e-brake parts and might as well get the speedo head. Bah.
Old 02-18-2004, 07:32 PM

I just finished putting in my new speedo cable. I ended up taking out the cluster panel, but was worth it cuz I had a decade of dirt and dust back there Pretty easy install! First indication, it definitely fixed the squealing I had. I can't believe how accurate my speedo reads now

It was kind of warm here tonight, its supposed to be much colder in the next few days, so that will be the real test. Of course, we shall see if the squealing reappears in a year or so. At least I know now how to get to the speedo head if I have too!!

Next, ebrake cable. Freakin thing snapped!!
Old 02-19-2004, 04:41 AM
CTB

Originally Posted by 89-4run
I just finished putting in my new speedo cable. I ended up taking out the cluster panel, but was worth it cuz I had a decade of dirt and dust back there Pretty easy install! First indication, it definitely fixed the squealing I had. I can't believe how accurate my speedo reads now

It was kind of warm here tonight, its supposed to be much colder in the next few days, so that will be the real test. Of course, we shall see if the squealing reappears in a year or so. At least I know now how to get to the speedo head if I have too!!

Next, ebrake cable. Freakin thing snapped!!
Wanna do a write-up for those of us that may end up doing this in the future?
Old 02-19-2004, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by CTB
Wanna do a write-up for those of us that may end up doing this in the future?
vote number two for a writeup. i was hopeing to get to it this weekend, but there's something about tearing apart the dash that scares me, that one thing that i doubt i'll get back together correctly. but it looks like we'll be getting tons of snow this weekend, and i don't want to chance having my truck not drivable incase i need to get out in the snow. so i'll probably delay my work. maybe there will be a write up when i get around to doing it. but if there isn't then i'll gladly keep track of what i do and if it works, i'll do a write up (assuming i can find a digital camera to borrow)
Old 02-19-2004, 08:32 AM

Sorry fellas, but I didn't take any pictures. I was pushed for time.

Mike, PM me and I can tell you exactly what I did. I actually had a buddy of mine who is very mechanically inclined help me out. But I had it already figured out before he helped me, it was just nice having him around for peace of mind.

PM me or email me.... I can give you a run down!

I thought it was supposed to be somewhat nice this weekend! We are getting the snow today!!

Originally Posted by mike_d
vote number two for a writeup. i was hopeing to get to it this weekend, but there's something about tearing apart the dash that scares me, that one thing that i doubt i'll get back together correctly. but it looks like we'll be getting tons of snow this weekend, and i don't want to chance having my truck not drivable incase i need to get out in the snow. so i'll probably delay my work. maybe there will be a write up when i get around to doing it. but if there isn't then i'll gladly keep track of what i do and if it works, i'll do a write up (assuming i can find a digital camera to borrow)
Old 02-19-2004, 08:33 AM

btw Mike, I live in littleton

Originally Posted by 89-4run
Sorry fellas, but I didn't take any pictures. I was pushed for time.

Mike, PM me and I can tell you exactly what I did. I actually had a buddy of mine who is very mechanically inclined help me out. But I had it already figured out before he helped me, it was just nice having him around for peace of mind.

PM me or email me.... I can give you a run down!

I thought it was supposed to be somewhat nice this weekend! We are getting the snow today!!