Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

88 axle-swap tranny seat q's

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
88 axle-swap tranny seat q's

howdy

I'm new around here, my name is Baxter. I have an 88 4x4 PU, 22RE, 5spd, IFS. I finally got it paid off last week, so now I will be having some discretionary income to put back into it. I am ordering a single tube front winch bumper from All Pro today. I have a few questions that I skimmed around for, but couldn't find much, so I thought I would ask.

I located a pair of bucket seats in a 1st Gen 4 runner, these should bolt right into my 88 PU, right? I cant forsee many problems, but thats why im asking before i drop money on them.

I have found an 84 truck incl frame, bed, cab, inner/outer fenders and (key to follow) the entire front drivetrain/suspension. the source wants $200 for it. the bushigns are in somewhat rough shape, and it could definitely use a solid cleaning. how much work would it be to swap my IFS for this entire set up? if i had a shop do it, how many labor hours am i looking at? i'd do the cleanup work myself most likely.

I need a new transmission. I am having a hard time sourcing one. anyone have any leads in the southcentral VA area? I also have been completely unable to find any listing or chart of what motors/transmissions/xfer cases are direct swaps from one truck to another, anyone know of such a resource?

thanks again for your help, sorry if these are common questions.
Old 02-11-2003, 03:36 PM

aah, the infamous SAS. I want to do an SAS with mine too.

since you got your bumper from all pro, you should ask them bout their sas kit. ive read up on it, and if you think about it, it doesnt seem all THAT hard. well, you just need a good welder and torcher so you get solid welds and clean cuts. you dont want to overheat the frame and weaken it. and at the same time, you have to make sure ur spring mounts are welded solid, thats a matter of life and death! flying 80mph down the freeway, and imagine your front spring mounts breaking! ARGH!

time wise, i dunno. check out the SAS Kit at all pro.

here are the instructions from all pro.

here are some more links:

http://www.mo-4xtoys.com/Bones/sasinfo.htm

ill try to find more.
Old 02-11-2003, 05:14 PM

well, those kits are way out of my price range. i'm looking at this 84 b/c its got the entire front drive train and ALL the suspension components. all i want to do is cut it off the old truck and weld it to the newer one. is this an incredibly difficult job? seems to me, you'd just take the IFS stuff off, weld some spring hangers in the right places, and bolt the SA stuff right into place....?
Old 02-11-2003, 06:08 PM
Banned

I'm not really well read on SAS jobs but I can answer your seat question.

I have seats from an '86 SR5 Runner in my '87 truck. '84-'88 trucks and Runners are all the same in that area. It was all bolt in except for the right rear mount of the passenger seat. I had to drill a hole through the floor about 1.5 inches forward of the existing hole and through bolt it. To do this I pulled up the carpet from that area, installed the seat with the 3 holes that matched, marked the hole, removed the seat, drilled, layed the carpet down, cut a hole, then installed the seat permanently. I also had to cut holes in the carpet for the front inner mounts on each seat but there were already threaded holes in the right places. The rear inner mounts of the buckets line up with where your center seatbelt attaches to the floor now.

Its my second favorite mod i've done besides the Rear locker. I can go for hours on end without getting sore or numb legs like I got with the crappy old bench seat.

Last edited by jx94148; 02-11-2003 at 06:10 PM.
Old 02-12-2003, 12:58 AM

i dunno how simple it is to put the 84 front suspension on the 88. the frames are different. how does the springs mount onto the 84? also, if you use the 84 axle, u need spacers bc the 84 axle is shorter.

dont forget about steering. i dont know how the steering hooks up from the 84 to the 88. they are going to be different. id recomend the cross over steering... more clearance, beefier, and u can use the stock steering box, if im correct. i think it'd be easier with the sas kit, i kno its expensive... :T

for me, i want to get the SAS kit. i want to do it proper. if youre going to get a solid front axle, you must want to do some somewat serious off roading, otherwise, you wont realli need it. so since you're going to do some wheeling, do it right. i kno its expensive. im saving like crazy and im waiting for my FASFA money.

good luck!

Last edited by joshik; 02-12-2003 at 01:00 AM.
Old 02-14-2003, 09:57 PM

toyota tranny

you can use the tranny from a 85-88 22re will fit they are called a w56 thats the code. you can even use tranny from a 84-88 carburated 22r they are g52's but you need the transfer case to go with it thay wont interchange. your tranny code is on the panel under the hood on firewall above engine. the numbers for the tranny code are on the bottom rite corner of the plate it shuold say w56
Old 02-15-2003, 02:20 PM

sweet, thanks for the help fellas

update - i bought a pair of buckets from an 87? 4 runner (1st gen, IFS) and heres an update on how well they fit.

drivers side - took a bit of banging with a mallet to get the frames to line back up (the seat flew out of my truck as i brought it home, so i had to reallign the frame). bolt holes fit right in. make sure if you get the seats from a yard, you ask for the bolts to put them in as well, the bench seat only has 4 bolts, the buckets require 8.

passenger side - this one was a bit tougher, had i pulled the seat from a PU itd have been fine, but since the 4 runner is made to slide forward so the rear passengers can get out, the frame doesnt go as far back on the floor as the stocker. so the front bolts bolted right up, the rears required 2 holes drilled (there were no wires/fuel lines/ebrake cables underneath so everything was golden) and it required about a 1" spacer underneath the inner rear corner, to level it out.

other than that, no sweat! still searching for a tranny, the shop that i got the seats from said that they can get me one with a 100 day warranty (22re 4x4 5spd) for ~$650, this sound fair? theyre out of them right now, but when they get more in.........

thanks for yalls help.