Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

86 4runner questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 4runner questions

Hey all, I just bought myself a 86' 4runner with the 22RE. I had to sell my 01 doublecab s/c tacoma...bummer, oh well not like I really needed high car payment! Anyway, the guy I bought it from had told me the engine was rebuilt like a few hundred miles ago, my first question is, aside from him giving me a work receipt(which can be easily faked), how can I figure out whether the engine has been rebuilt, and I am worried that they went cheap and didn't replace the timing chain although according to them, it has been replaced(odometer's got 223,xxx on it). Anyway I am also trying to figure why it is idling very high at around 1100rpm, and sometimes something is wrong with the eletrical system or something where the voltage keep going up and down while idling(lights would start dimming) Battery is new, so I am trying to figure out what might be the problem. I will check out the timing, I think its a bit off right now. Anyway any help would be greatly appreciated.

One more note: if anyone knows anything about the power windows in these suckers, please help me! My windows don't work! My motor works fine, the guy I bought it from said he took it to a shop to diagnose the problem, and they said it was the switch, and toyota wants almost $200 for the switch! So I am trying to figure out whether anyone had any experience with this, possibly repairing the switch and/or find where the relay is, I don't have the book yet I will buy one very soon. Thanks, Calvin
Old 12-17-2002, 04:42 AM
Contributing Member

Hey there Calvin. Congrats on the new purchase

I'm not to sure about the idle.

My 4runner started to act up a couple of weeks ago. I too had the fadeing headlights. I replaced the battery and that didn't solve it. Went up to the nearest junk yard and picked up a refurb alternator. That did the trick:rolleyes:

Also, when i purchased my 4runner the passenger side window switch did not work. I pulled it out and took it apart. It was really gummed up with crap. So i cleaned it up and it works great. I did the drivers side also.

Hope this helps:xmas3:
Old 12-17-2002, 05:37 AM
Contributing Member

None of the windows work? Or just the fronts?
Old 12-17-2002, 08:21 AM

Most autozone type stores will bench test alternator for free. Keep turning on accesories and look at the lights do the continue to getting dimmer? If not check for grounds, the engine has four (two on head, two on block this is for my 22R) if the rebuild was that recent it possible one was forgotten.

On the engine rebuild... if you have the work order drive over to the shop and talk with them. Get a feeling if they would do it on the cheap, some shops like 22R engine family too much do such a thing
The only 'simple' checks I can think of are...
removing the valve cover and look in on the timing chain and tensioners, the camshaft sproket should consistant teeth with no flatting of the 'u' in between the teeth. check for grooves wearing into guide on driver side. It wears first.

Pull the oil pan and the oilstrainer to get access to third main cap,the location of the thrust washers. This main bearing takes the most wear and if it is worn a rebuild didn't happen 'a few hundred miles' ago.

Can you change the idle with the adjustment screw? with a a/t the factroy idle is 950rpm. manual is 750rpm.
Old 12-17-2002, 03:08 PM

Is the dashpot sticking? Have you tried to asjust your idle? I replaced my dashpot in my old 88 truck with a 22RE. My idle was high because the dashpot was sticking.

Martin
Old 12-17-2002, 05:09 PM

power windows

Oh yeah so I got the idle adjusted, but my timing is way off, I don't think the people who the motor back together put it in correctly, cuz the timing lines are way off, so I gotta have that figured out. we're gonna try to time it by eye, the timing light doesn't look like is gonna help, any suggestions would be appreciated.

On the Power windows, anyone have a picture of what the power windows switch panel is suppose to look on the 4runners? cuz I figured out it is the switch that is bad on my truck and it costs almost $200 to get oem, so I am gonna try and ghetto rig it and fix it, any help on that would be appreciated. a long shot but anyone got a diagram for the switch itself? THanks, Calvin