Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

'85 4 runner: how do i bolt up my torque converter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'85 4 runner: how do i bolt up my torque converter?

the manual says i should have access through two plugs on the bellhousing cover plate at rear of engine. but no access holes. I dont think u should have to bolt the torque converterup to the engine then slide the tranny forward. If u did that u wouldnt be able to put the cover plate back on anyway. I was hoping the cover plate would rotate out of the way enough to bolt the torq. conv. to the flywheel. I havent had any luck with that either. any ideas would be appreciated. I havent even got to drive my toy yet! It was a basket case and now all i need is the tranny bolted up!
Old 03-06-2005, 11:30 AM
Banned

is this a double post? i swear i responded to this exact thread yesterday....
Old 03-06-2005, 11:51 AM

yeah its the same only different wording. I havent got anyone else to respond so i worded my question different
Old 03-06-2005, 12:36 PM
Banned

do you have the FSM? my fsm has all that info in it... pictures too even.....

on page 104 at in my fsm it shows that there are 6 bolts that need to be installed finger tight...install guide pin in covertor, align tranny, aligh guide pin with a drive plate hole align 2 sleeves on block with the convertor housing.... install starter and side stiffner plates torque to 47 ft/#

... remove the guide pin..install the 6 coverter bolts handtight turning the crankshaft to gain access.... torque those to 13 foot punds....

now in the drawing, there are 2 holes jsut above the lowest part of the belhosing... it says they are plugged however... you must have these and jsut dont notice them....
Old 03-06-2005, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by slojo
the manual says i should have access through two plugs on the bellhousing cover plate at rear of engine. but no access holes. I dont think u should have to bolt the torque converterup to the engine then slide the tranny forward. If u did that u wouldnt be able to put the cover plate back on anyway. I was hoping the cover plate would rotate out of the way enough to bolt the torq. conv. to the flywheel. I havent had any luck with that either. any ideas would be appreciated. I havent even got to drive my toy yet! It was a basket case and now all i need is the tranny bolted up!
The torque converter HAS to be fully inserted into the transmission BEFORE you attempt to bolt trans belhousing to engine. You can NOT mount the torque converter to the flywheel/flexplate first, and then try to mount the transmission. If you do, you will most likely damage the front pump in the trans. I haven't worked on that model, but there should either be an access plate to get at these bolts, or a removable cover on the plate. As jimabena74
mentions, a small threaded guide pin in one of the converter threaded sockets will make it easier to align the bolt holes up when bringing the trans up to the engine. Also, make sure all the bellhousing bolts are tight to the engine to ensure proper alignment of the converter. And, if the converter is properly inserted into the trans, there should be some freeplay between the converter and flywheel before installing the bolts. If not, then something is not aligned properly.
Old 03-06-2005, 05:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On my 89, there is an access cover that you can remove at the bottom of the bellhousing. You have to take the bottom 4 tranny bolts off, and the flexplates. Once the engine and tranny are mated, the torque converter should roatate freely, or you have a problem. You can then put the tq bolts in. Very easy. But like someone else said, I haven't ever worked with your year model, but it should be similar.
Old 03-06-2005, 05:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 93ToyKid
On my 89, there is an access cover that you can remove at the bottom of the bellhousing. You have to take the bottom 4 tranny bolts off, and the flexplates. Once the engine and tranny are mated, the torque converter should roatate freely, or you have a problem. You can then put the tq bolts in. Very easy. But like someone else said, I haven't ever worked with your year model, but it should be similar.

watch the wording there so no one gets confused... he is talking about the side stiffener plates... not the big giant gear on an auto or the flywheel on a stick.....
Old 03-06-2005, 06:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i think he's talking about teh 2 holes in the engine plate. the torque converter bolts to the flex plate with bolts that go through the back side of the flex plate, i'm guessing these holes are to make it easier to install/uninstall the torque converter?

i'm no expert on the subject...my engine had a torque converter and flexplate when i bought it...they were the first things to get pitched.
Old 03-06-2005, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by kyle_22r
...my engine had a torque converter and flexplate when i bought it...they were the first things to get pitched.
Preach on, bruthah...
Old 03-06-2005, 07:15 PM

I finally just had to cut a hole in the drive plate cover(thats what the manual calls it). For some reason mine didnt have any plugs to take out. The only other way to remove the cover was to slide tranny back a few inches to clear the starter motor stud. I didnt want to do all that so i just made me an access! Sure enough there were no bolts in the converter. Now my Toy runs!

Thanks for everyones time and advice and im sure ill need more tomorrow!
Old 03-06-2005, 07:21 PM

it still boggles my mind as to how you would get to your torque converter without the access holes, because the motor and tranny need to be bolted together before u attach your torque conv. to flywheel (drive plate). oh well i got her done!
Old 03-08-2005, 06:16 AM

Man Joe, you've come a long way on this thing. I've got to commend you for it. That thing was missing parts everywhere when you bought it and slowly but surely you've gone through each system and got er' goin'. Some fine tuning and she'll be running like a top I bet. I'm excited fer ya. I'd of got lost in all that electrical crap you did. In fact, I tried to help and got lost. hehe

Glad to see ya on YT. I knew these guys would help ya anyway they could. Good bunch of peeps here.

So,.......when we goin' wheelin'?