Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

7th injector vs. urd in my 99 4runner

Old 02-10-2006, 01:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7th injector vs. urd in my 99 4runner

after searching and reading, i believe this is the 148962th thread dealing with fuel mods to the supercharger, so i understand if no one responds.

ive run into some issues regarding finding information on the 7th injector kit in my 99. do they make a 7th inj. kit for the 99 runner....i know it sounds like a stupid question, but the reason im asking is because i emailed the local dealership for a quote for a 7th inj. kit installed, and he replied with some part numbers for the 2000-01, and said something about the 99 being different?

i havent yet decided which one im going to go with, urd or trd (7th inj.), but here are my reasons for each:

-urd has yielded more positive results, and seem to be more popular
-gadget seems to be more knowledgable than the trd guys, he created urd
-urd kit allows for more upgrading in the future
-trd is installed by dealer and offers warranty

im looking for some feedback in regards to more info. on the 7th injector (will it fit in my 99?). i will be paying someone to install it, so thats a factor in itself. i know i know i know that its not "that" hard to do it, but honestly i dont have the time and patience. where can i get the urd kit installed? a local race/performance shop? thanks for any feedback.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by northfacer581
a
-trd is installed by dealer and offers warranty
Do you mean to say you still have a warranty on a 99?
Old 02-10-2006, 05:26 PM
Contributing Member

no....they have a lifetime warranty on the trd prodcuts they install, i think
Old 02-10-2006, 05:35 PM

I just got the 7th inector installed on my '02 this week - i was able to talk the stealer down to $1100 for the kit and he quoted me $198 to install !!! The service manager told me it should have been more than twice that - but honored the price quoted since they sent me an email with the numbers stated - I think I got a good deal!

I went this route for the same reasons you're hesitating for. I gotta say, i'm not hughly impressed yet for the money i put down --- there is a noticeable bump in low end torque -- pretty nice! - and i can wind it up without as much fear of leaning out (too) bad like I did before I got the kit - but I though that 40+ horses would make a much bigger difference !?!?!

Maybe it will take alittle while to sink in - I am still on the first tank, and I am trying to stay off the gas some - I swear I can see the needle drop when I jump on the the peddle alot.

Anyone with suggestions as to what else is required with the 7th injector kit without any other engine mods?? (sorry about the hijack, but these are things you should know too if you go this route)
Old 02-10-2006, 05:50 PM
Contributing Member

i know that gadget sells a "7th injector upgrade kit". and opening up the air system some will give a little more hp. (deckplate, isr, elbow)

sounds like you did get a killer deal though. 1300 installed; ill definately pay that.

so do you hear anymore pinging? how long did it take for them to install it?

but my main question is still unanswered, will it fit in my 99?
Old 02-10-2006, 06:15 PM

I "think" that I still hear just a little bit of pinging - just very faintly - but then I'm being hyper critical at this point - i think the n/a enginges would ping under heavy load conditions. I got so used to driving pretty lightly to avoid the ping, i'm kinda used to it. The extra torque at low rpms is really noticable just for that reason.

It took them ~ 5 hours - had them change the belts while they were there (t stat change required the belt tensioner to come off any ways - cost me $75 with the belts) - I could tell they wanted to get it done quick since they were losing money on the install. I still have 2500 miles of warranty left - so i'm praying if anything goes wrong, it will happen right away.

From what I understand, the 7th kit is only specd for dual catalytic equipped or california emissions rigs. The 01-02 kit stated this and the parts guy asked for the VIN to verify --- so you might be outta luck.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:15 PM

I am going to tap in the URD FTC-017 box to the ECU of my rig today & do some testing first. Once I can sucessfully (sure it will be OK) manipulate the AFR at both open & close loop, I will then swap in the larger injectors, spark plugs & wanbro fuel pump. I am not worry about pinging as we use Octane 98 fuel in Hong Kong. The next step will be fitting the smaller 2.2" s/c'r pulley

IMO, the 7th injector kit is a package deal & you cannot fine tune the fueling/timing. Good product for it's simplicity. The URD fuel upgrade kit with the FTC-017 box allows more options for further tuning (for engine fitted with Super Charger) & I am sure it will be able to unlash a lot more power once smaller pulley is used.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:10 AM
Contributing Member

Turns out I may actually be in luck. I got a rare, california emissions spec rig with dual cat's. I remember when they had to replace the cats, they were talking how rare it is to see a 4runner like mine. Hopefully I will be able to find a good deal like you did.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:35 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TomCham
I am going to tap in the URD FTC-017 box to the ECU of my rig today & do some testing first. Once I can sucessfully (sure it will be OK) manipulate the AFR at both open & close loop, I will then swap in the larger injectors, spark plugs & wanbro fuel pump. I am not worry about pinging as we use Octane 98 fuel in Hong Kong. The next step will be fitting the smaller 2.2" s/c'r pulley

IMO, the 7th injector kit is a package deal & you cannot fine tune the fueling/timing. Good product for it's simplicity. The URD fuel upgrade kit with the FTC-017 box allows more options for further tuning (for engine fitted with Super Charger) & I am sure it will be able to unlash a lot more power once smaller pulley is used.
I agree with Tom, the URD does allow more user input and tuneability and it is easier to adjust for changes made later when needed. There have been quite a few threads to read on the 7th injector vs the URD kit.....just do a search and you'll find a ton of info to read.
Old 02-11-2006, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by northfacer581
i know that gadget sells a "7th injector upgrade kit". and opening up the air system some will give a little more hp. (deckplate, isr, elbow)

sounds like you did get a killer deal though. 1300 installed; ill definately pay that.

so do you hear anymore pinging? how long did it take for them to install it?

but my main question is still unanswered, will it fit in my 99?
Yes, there is a 7th injector kit to fit your runner. Make DAMN sure you get the right part number however. Since Toyota Corporate took over TRD, all the part numbers have changed and everyone from the dealership level up seems to be confused. I know my dealership parts guy just got his new TRD book yesterday. Last year dealer cost on the 7th kit was $995.00. I was able to get mine for $1050.

You are confused about the warranty however. The warranty is one year. If you have a newer truck that is still under warranty or extended warranty and you have Toyota install the kit, the warranty will be the same as you have on the rest of the powertrain on your truck.

There has been a lot of disscussion on which kit is better, the URD fuel kit or the 7th kit. Both are viable kits and will solve your lean out and ping issues. The URD kit is harder to install and tune but it is complete and works. The 7th kit is not adjustable in stock form. To make it adjustable (and I strongly suggest you do this) you can install URD's additional injector controller (AIC). If you buy URD's 7th upgrade kit the AIC comes with it. There are 2 versions of the AIC. One controls the injector but has no timing control. The other controls the injector but also has a timing card built into it to give you control of your timing. If you have pinging below 3000rpm this device will allow you to retard timing in the specific areas to eliminate it. This AIC does add to the cost of the 7th kit. You will need a 190 Walbro fuel pump (also supplied in the upgrade kit) and TRD suggests a set of Denso Iridium IK20 spark plugs. I would suggest you get a set of IK22s (one step colder than the IK20s) and gap them at .043. Gadget has the plugs.

I have the 7th kit as well as the AIC (without timing card). My truck has never pinged so I went with the standard AIC. I also installed TRD headers and an Aquamist water/methanol injection system. All has been installed for over a year and has performed flawlessly. I couldn't ask for my truck to run any better. You can click on the links in my signature to see my mods and numbers.

If I had it all to do over again, I would not hesitate to install the 7th injector again in a heartbeat----
Old 02-11-2006, 11:28 AM

Cool

I think the Toyota kit is lame.
For the cost of the Toyota kit, you can buy a new injector, a piggyback to control it, a map sensor to tune it during boost, and a new FPR, plumb it, and yet still *probably* have enough money left over to go to a dyno shop.

Or buy a piggyback, a FPR, and 6 larger used injectors. Whatever works.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Toysrme
I think the Toyota kit is lame.
For the cost of the Toyota kit, you can buy a new injector, a piggyback to control it, a map sensor to tune it during boost, and a new FPR, plumb it, and yet still *probably* have enough money left over to go to a dyno shop.

Or buy a piggyback, a FPR, and 6 larger used injectors. Whatever works.
You are indeed entitled to your opinion but some of us have had a lot of success with the TRD setup. I also happen to have a 100K warranty that remains unquestionably intact with the 7th kit. It takes me 15 minutes to make my truck both smog and warranty ready with no hassles from the dealer. Do you know any other kit or "home made" kit that you can do that with?
Old 02-11-2006, 01:33 PM
Contributing Member

thanks trdolman. i was waiting for input from you. i actually spent a good bit of my friday night reading about your setup, your 300hp barrier breaking, that ram you demolished (my favorite story EVER).

i now feel i have a full understanding on the subject matter, or at least enough to make the decision i feel is right. for me, the fact that the dealership is installing a product they sell/know, is one of the leading factors. i will make sure to get the proper parts of course, but right now money isnt flowing....but hopefully ill have it in before the end of may.

i already do have a timing map controller, i dont know if this could be used with the 7th injector kit, but im pretty sure it can. also in the fall ill be a freshman at app. state (in the nc mts.), and the elevation will be a lot higher than in charlotte. ive read that this has an impact on the pinging/detonation. so i believe my timing on this mod will be perfect.

hopefully my talking/bargaining skills will be up to par so i can get that labor cost down. im willing to be ill be paying at least 300 though? oh well, i look at it as money well spent.

and for the warranty, i guess i was off. so all ill be getting is 1 year warranty on parts?