Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

5spd not going into gear - clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 06:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
5spd not going into gear - clutch?

Went to go look at a good deal on a tacoma. Went to drive it and the clutch petal goes have way down like it is broken before there is resistance. The truck will shift but when you release the clutch it does not grab at and you can shift through all the grears without depressing the clutch. Is this the actual clutch, the clutch slave cyclinder or something else.

Thanks!
Old 08-01-2010, 06:59 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
I would check over the clutch hydraulic system to rule out if its the clutch/pressure plate or not.

-Check the fluid in the clutch master cyl
-Look at the clutch release cyl and see if it expands properly while someone depresses the clutch pedal
-Check clutch pedal height and free play

Old 08-01-2010, 07:15 PM

The fluid level is fine and literally the clutch goes straight down 1/2 way with no resistance. It is like the freeplay has 4" and there is no way I think I can adjust it that much. I'm about an hour from the truck, and looked at it by myself, so I can't check to see if clutch fork is moving when I depress the clutch. I'm guessing not judging from the amount of play in the clutch. Also remember I can shift through all the gears while the truck is running without depressing the clutch pedal.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:26 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by cchinny
Also remember I can shift through all the gears while the truck is running without depressing the clutch pedal.
This makes me think the clutch is not grabbing. How many miles? I've heard of some stock clutches going 150K +...

Old 08-01-2010, 10:05 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
It sounds like something is jammed and will not let the clutch release. It could be the hydraulic system or possibly the clutch fork. I had something similar happen to the brake master cylinder on a '92 4Runner. I pressed the brake pedal hard to test it, and the piston in the cylinder jammed and the brakes were stuck. If you can, try opening the bleeder on the slave cylinder to release the hydraulic pressure. If the clutch engages then the master cylinder is stuck. If it does not engage, then the only other easy fix is if the slave cylinder be jammed. Other than that, you have to remove the transmission to fix it.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:40 AM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
Yeah I would check the clutch slave just to see if its stuck or something. Other than that, the PP could be extremely out of whack. I have seen people come in to my brother's shop literally with fingers missing and the plate cracked fully through in a few spots, so anything is possible.

Talk him down a bit because it sounds like you need to do a clutch job!

Scuba is right, I have seen many of these clutches last right around 150k, so this could very well be the original clutch.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:03 PM

Replaced the slave, etc....Still the same. Except now the pedal is firm. I can run through all the gears without depressing the pedal and the truck doesn't want to go. Guessing it is the clutch correct?
Old 09-03-2010, 02:55 PM

Did you change both the slave and master cylinders? When you were changing the slave cylinder, did you notice if the fork had any unusual play in it? It sounds like either the fork is jambed holding the clutch open or something is broken and the clutch will need to be replaced. If something is wrong with the fork, you might be able to get it back into place without removing the transmission with a hammer and pliers. Most likely the clutch will need to be replaced.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:07 PM

Location: Shelburne, VT previous: Everett, WA; Bellingham, WA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PismoJoe
Scuba is right, I have seen many of these clutches last right around 150k, so this could very well be the original clutch.
I'm at 151k on the original. Still holding strong, knock on wood.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:12 PM

I replaced the master and the salve. The fork has no play in it and is very hard to move. It pushes the slave almost all the way in and when I press the clutch is moves the fork a little. I can hear rubbing which makes me think the clutch is rubbing but not grabbing. If the clutch goes, should I be able to shift through all the gears without depressing it?
Old 09-04-2010, 05:37 PM

make sure your slave cylinder is lined up with the clutch fork correctly. What i mean is make sure the slave cylinder nipple is in the bowl on the clutch fork and not in the small hole that is futher out on the fork. If its in the hole , it will slightly enguage the clutch and make it slip.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:24 PM

I doubt that even a severely worn clutch would allow you shift gears without depressing the pedal. Try removing the slave cylinder, start the truck, and see if you can shift through the gears. If you still cannot shift, then this rules out anything in the hydraulic system or something jambing outside of the transmission, as suggested by John Hester. You can even try tapping on the fork with a hammer to see if it engages. If the clutch does not engage, then the next step is probably removing the transmission.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:30 PM

I thought of something else before you drop the transmission. It could be something in the shift linkage making it stuck in neutral. How does the shifter feel? Does it feel like it is solidly locking into gear? If the Tacoma is a 4x4, make sure the transfer case is not stuck in neutral, also. If it is the transfer case, you should be able to hear some gear whine when the transmission is in gear, especially 5th.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:10 PM

it could be your bushing in the top of the trans where the stick inputs. those bushings are prone to break which won't allow you to shift all the way into gear. cheap and easy fix.