Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

4x4 Tacoma CV Axles

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 12:39 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face 4x4 Tacoma CV Axles

Funny how Toyota Calls them driveshafts.

In any case I think the amount of force needed to drive them back into the housing was a lot more then I thought was needed.

I am the kind if something needs forced it is not going together correct.

In my youth I was always breaking things and was scared of doing the same again Only causing more expensive damage.

It always takes forever doing something the first time so I am sure the second side should be much quicker.

One thing I did do was break the big nut loose while on the ground Then my Air Cat just zipped the nut right off.

It looks to me Like the CV Joint needs to be taken apart to get the boot off and on more research is in store.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:28 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
I'm not really due what you're getting at but I'll add some thoughts.

The c-clip that holds the axle in is easier to get in/ out when the gap is facing a certain way. I'm spacing on which way you want the gap to be facing when you're trying to get the axle back in the housing but you can find that info all over the 'net.

A good way to force it in is to push the splines into the housing and then grab the "shaft" portion and "jack" it in and out. Since that's the tripod joint the shaft will float in and out. Basically you use the weight and kinetic energy of the CV shaft to hammer the inner joint home inside of the differential.

Also, in order to change the outer boot, you take off the inner boot and the tripod joint (be careful of the needle bearings) and then the you can work the outer boot off of the shaft.

Have fun.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in the process of doing this also. Got both axles off. My 7" dikes were no match for the outer boot Oetiker (crimp) clamps but I got it off with my Dremel cutting wheel. Took me a while to figure out the inner clamps don't need a special tool to install. It really was not as messy as many ppl said - I used nitrile gloves and LOTS of paper towels. Forgot to make match marks on the second axle (going too fast) but I made a really good guess. Waiting for my boot kits and clamp tool now to finish the job.

Scuba, I like your suggestion of ramming in the axle but I'm paranoid about damaging the tripod joint or the housing even though I think they are both hardened steel. Guess I'll leave that to last resort if a pry bar and hammer won't work.