Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

4thGen & Ivan, Pensacola.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4thGen & Ivan, Pensacola.

So, my 4Runner, my house, and I escaped Ivan w/o damage (petty damage to the house, I fixed it myself).... But, I learned some things truck related.

I never intended to off-road my 'runner (I have in the past with my Blazer, say 14yrs ago, so I'm no idiot when it comes to it) and I never installed anything other than stock. I wanted some A/T tires that were better than the Mich's that come stock, I wanted some AUX lights, I thought a lift would look cool... But, other than "looking cool," I never saw a real reason for me to have them and to spend the money (I do go down dirt roads, hence the reason I bought the truck and got rid of my sports car...)

-Then Ivan hits us, we get the worst of it- Now, I live in what used to be the country, still is, but is becoming a little more surburban every year.

I slept through the whole storm (don't ask me) and woke up about 7.30a, leave house about 8.30a to go check on friend's house (they bailed,) takes me 45min to go 1.5mi... Drive down to his parents house to check on it... Mind you trees are EVERYFRIGGIN'WHERE and people are out in the street, clearing the street... The people are, not the county... I go around a tree through a field and I get stuck, I mean REALLY stuck, up to my front bumper in mud... I had it in L4 w/ the diffs locked... The only saving grace, ummm face, is that I made if farther (before being pulled out) than anyone else... I think it's when I yelled "Toyota Mu#$er f@#$er" that the 4wd god decided I should get stuck. So, I get pulled out by a guy in an F-150...blah. I want a winch, I need to buy a tow strap too. Thanks Toyota for the tow hooks on the front, none of the American trucks had them, that got pulled.
FWIW, If I would have been patient, I probably could have waited for people to move, gone full tilt, and made it... My bad.

I was worried I would shred my tires on all the crap on the road, never did.

AUX lights.. I had to drive home at night a few times over the past days, did I mention there is/was a curfew... I could see the road okay, but I sure couldn't see the low hanging lines until they were 2' in front of my truck... Aux lights !

...and I want an Ax & REAL work gloves, in the truck, at all times.

Well, I got power back on Sunday @ 9.30p and cable modem today @ 12p (still no cable TV, what gives ?) No landline... H20 only went out for a little while. Over the course of these past few days my 4Runner has been transportation, a mule to haul stuff - limbs and grabage with a rope, a bed to sleep in (when it was hot at night, once), a power source to charge stuff up (thank gawd for the AC outlet,) and for once in the almost two years I have owned it.... It is as dirty as I wish my girlfriend would be !!!

Last edited by JGage; 09-21-2004 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-21-2004, 02:40 PM
Contributing Member

I'm definitely glad you survived one of the worst, if not the worst. It's always good to hear everyone is ok. Glad to see that you got to use your 4wd (even though you got abit stuck).

I hope the rebuilding process will be quick for you and doesn't hit the back pocket too much.

Do I sense some mods coming your way after the rebuilding process is done?

Good luck!
Old 09-21-2004, 02:50 PM

A bit, it putting it lightly... Naw, I got few $$$ damage to my house, not even worth calling the insurance company.

Oh, yea... Wet Okle <sp> seat covers are the first thing I am ordering. The Toyota rubber mats did fine, but I was cleaning my leather seats a good bit.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by JGage
It is as dirty as I wish my girlfriend would be !!!