Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

4th gen with tacoma skid plate and hooks

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2003, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4th gen with tacoma skid plate and hooks

I have found the answer to the problem of losing our tow eyes on the front end of the 4th gens to the taco skid plate. The mod took me about 1/2 hour, and costs about $30 plus the plate and a little custom work. Looks completely OEM. It's late now and I'm gonna crash, but I will get pics up tomorrow. I think you all will like what you see, especially Momo and 02Runner, and anyone else who has been along for this ride with the skid plate fab job. Custom grille is in the works next. I'll hit back tomorrow with pics and details, etc...late.

Billy
Old 12-19-2003, 02:36 PM
Contributing Member

I am waiting for the pics. I should have posted mine by now, but have just replaced my digital camera today. I'll get them up tomm.

You have been a great asset to all the members here at YT.

Thanks Billy. I kinda rank you up there with Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin!

Doug M.
Old 12-19-2003, 10:53 PM

Finally back at it. Here are 3 shots of what I did to add hooks and move the plate forward and upward as well. Bought 10,000lb tow hooks with 2 bolt holes in them, used one bolt to connect to the stock eye, and the other bolt to connect to a 5" long 3/16" thick piece of steel that I ground, drilled, and then painted. The hook can be torqued as tight as you want, and the bracket supporting the skid plate is seperate and above the hook, so they will never interfere with one another...enough typing...here's the pics. Next up is a new custom grill and the addition of the sport edition hood w/ the blower...i'll just let those pics speak for themselves when they arrive. I have just one question: What is the name of the member who is a toyota sales rep here on the forum? I was thinking his name was Tom? Anyway, I was curious if he could beat the $370 price for the hood that I was quoted...late...and 02Runner, thanks for the compliments...I'm no rocket scientist, just some idiot with time and a little money on his hands who likes to screw with his vehicles...gald I can help the rest of you...peace.

Billy
Attached Thumbnails 4th gen with tacoma skid plate and hooks-image007.jpg  
Old 12-19-2003, 10:54 PM

here's another...
Attached Thumbnails 4th gen with tacoma skid plate and hooks-image008.jpg  
Old 12-19-2003, 10:58 PM

and a final side shot showing the brackets, hooks, etc...if anyone could help me on how to get these pics larger for you guys I would in a heartbeat, I tried saving the pics as a webpage like on member suggested, but that didn't fly either...any help in this department would be much appreciated...plus it would allow you all to see the images much better without a magnifying glass...peace.

Billy
Attached Thumbnails 4th gen with tacoma skid plate and hooks-image009.jpg  
Old 12-19-2003, 11:09 PM

Cool pics!

And nice modification on the skid mod (a mod mod?). Gonna have to change your sig now, she ain't stock anymore. Looks good.

Geek alert, but looking at that 2nd pic after seeing the latest LOTR flick, kinda reminds me of that spider with the fangs and such.

Quick question about the mod... Does the skid plate alone take away from any ground clearance or approach angle?

And to answer your question, the Toyota rep is TOR (aka Todd).

Jon
Old 12-19-2003, 11:25 PM

Nerve-

Thanks for the input. The sig has been that way and will remain. If i listed all of the mods, it would take up an entire thread...just easier that way. Approach and departure angle are unhindered by the plate and the tow hooks, have the 3" revtek on her and went wheeling tonight, no probs at all...and now I have front tow hooks too...

Also, thanks for the confirmation with Todd, I should shoot him an email. The skid plate is still actually higher than the stock setup on both the tundra and tacoma by a couple of inches...not to say that the lift helps. Late.

Billy
Old 12-20-2003, 08:05 AM
Contributing Member

Actually you need to change your name to BillyBadass.......you are the man!! That looks really good. I was looking at the thread on toyota-4Runner.org and there have been two or three other guys that have added the plate. I guess you could also be known as the ModMaster...... I can't wait to see you grill mod. Good job buddy.
Old 12-20-2003, 08:45 AM
Contributing Member

Looks really good, nice job
Old 12-20-2003, 11:16 AM

Again, thanks for the compliments guys. Momo, all I did was copy you and add some hooks, nothing special there, I just "modded your mod".

I am definitely excited to get the grill done, have been spending the last couple of days repainting the rear quarter panel of my buddy's explorer, but have a great vision in my head on how I want to get it done, should actually be very simple and cost about $10, plus paint...I am going to make it match the sport edition hood, which we are going to open up and make functional for the blower, at least to cool the engine at a minimum...sorry I know I am terrible at verbally describing things. Just give me a little time, and more pics will come.

I am glad you all like the new skid plate setup. It looks a whole lot better in person, the pics don't do it justice. Later.

Billy
Old 04-16-2004, 02:07 PM

I just had my skid plate installed over the weekend. I found these great brackets from PowerStrut. They are 1/4" thick. Almost 8" long, and are pre-drilled for 1/2" nuts.

All I had to do was paint and mount.

I found them at Walter's Electric wholesale. I called PowerStrut, and they can have them mailed to you. But you should be able to find them at your local plumbing or electrical supply warehouse (NOT HomeDepot or Ace Hardware).

They are super strong, and it serves the purpose for this mod.
Attached Thumbnails 4th gen with tacoma skid plate and hooks-p4160491.jpg  

Last edited by timber725; 04-16-2004 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-17-2004, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by timber725
I just had my skid plate installed over the weekend. I found these great brackets from PowerStrut. They are 1/4" thick. Almost 8" long, and are pre-drilled for 1/2" nuts.

All I had to do was paint and mount.

I found them at Walter's Electric wholesale. I called PowerStrut, and they can have them mailed to you. But you should be able to find them at your local plumbing or electrical supply warehouse (NOT HomeDepot or Ace Hardware).

They are super strong, and it serves the purpose for this mod.
Timber-

Looking good bro.

Billy