Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

4th Gen Question....has the V6 issue been resolved?

Old 07-20-2004, 06:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4th Gen Question....has the V6 issue been resolved?

Yesterday, my dad calls me about wanted to get a car soon. Either my sister is going to get one, or he is, and then he will give his old Honda to her. Personally, I've seen the way she drives, and an intoxicated Steve Wonder could do a better job than she does, so I pushed the idea of the second to him.

I have also pushed him in the past few months about a new 4Runner, but I read about some dude's dilema with an engine knock here on this board for the V6 engine. He just doesn't want the V8 because of gas prices, although you never know, he might end up going for it. Anyway, are there still V6's out there that have that horrid valve ticking problem, or has Toyota solved the issue? Also for you 4th Gen owners, what are some viable options, I don't know if he will go for the limited as that's what I want him to get, so in case they have SR5s, what do you all suggest he get. By the way, he is adament about NO 4WD, since he will be using it around town, and 4WD is little to of no use for him.
Old 07-20-2004, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Mohamed
By the way, he is adament about NO 4WD, since he will be using it around town, and 4WD is little to of no use for him.
Highlander, Murano, Outback, Forester...there are alot of good cars out there.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:07 AM
lee
Contributing Member

yea, i dont mean to knock anyone, but i never got the whole 2wd truck based suv thing.

i was so frustrated when shopping for my runner at all the 2wd ones that were available. id be searching listings for black runners and find tons of great looking 99+ ones that were almost always 2wd-ers!
Old 07-20-2004, 07:45 AM
Contributing Member

Back to your question. I haven't seen many complaints on the V6 in 2004, there were a couple in 2003. You might want to go to http://www.toyota-4runner.org/forumd...?s=&forumid=11 and check it for yourself. That board seems to be a lot more focussed on 4th Gens.

4WD would be better to get in the Runner, as in the V6 you can run it in 2wd the whole time if needed, but at least you have the capbility to use 4wd.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:11 AM
Contributing Member

Okay first off enough with the knocks on the 2wd, if it was me buying the Runner ya I'd definitly have 4WD. 4Runner has vastly improved since we bought the first one in 1990, and make for an excellent vehicle, that's why he is considering one.
yea, i dont mean to knock anyone, but i never got the whole 2wd truck based suv thing.

i was so frustrated when shopping for my runner at all the 2wd ones that were available. id be searching listings for black runners and find tons of great looking 99+ ones that were almost always 2wd-ers!
During the time my dad has had the 1990, he never used the 4wd really. This is typically the case in today's market also is that alot of people like SUVs (as oppossed to station wagons) but never utilize the 4wd. I was the one that used it more than he did when he gave me the truck. I used to think the same way like you and why are there alot of 2wd SUV's out there when it's supposed to be a 4WD vehicle? Never the less, the Runner is an excellent vehicle, and nothing really out there is fairly comparible. Shopping for my Tundra was also a b*tch because finding a 4WD in the first place was hard enough.
Highlander, Murano, Outback, Forester...there are alot of good cars out there
Umm...no, my dad is retired now and he needs a good luxury vehicle that has class, he sacrificed alot for me for school and my livelyhood and your telling me to go suggest an outback or forrester even , come on now.

Originally Posted by bulldog-yota
Back to your question. I haven't seen many complaints on the V6 in 2004, there were a couple in 2003. You might want to go to http://www.toyota-4runner.org/forumd...?s=&forumid=11 and check it for yourself. That board seems to be a lot more focussed on 4th Gens.
Thanks Bulldog-yota, that site has some pretty good info on the V6.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:18 AM
Contributing Member

If 4wd is not necessary then you're options are limitless. You can definitely go for any other vehicle (sedans) included. Do keep in mind that this vehicle does not have the greatest mpg so if he doesn't mind then it's a good deal.

If he's looking for lots of space and safety is key then I'd say minivan's are the best ticket in town. They have a much better safety record and also has better mpg so you can't go wrong there (plus more stuff to store)

If he insists on a suv then expect the crappy mpg and be aware that the vehicle will not handle like a sports car (or even a sedan). Ofcourse the new 4runner comes w/ xreas but that doesn't mean you can corner a banking freeway entrance at 65 mph. Since he wants 2wd, you might want to steer him by checking out the Honda Pilot (which is actually pretty good).

Regardless, good luck in your adventures
Old 07-20-2004, 08:23 AM

Well the Outback is all-new and is really lux inside and out. My friend has a Murano and it is nice as well, the Highlander is posh inside.
If your dad needs a classy lux vehicle how about the RX330, MDX or something that would give ultimate street lux comfort & style for around town driving. If those are out of the price range and you are looking at $27K neighborhood (SR5 4R) there are alot of good choices, I'm just throwing out ideas better suited to what you defined.

As for the V6, love it and haven't had any issues (bought 07-03). There is a fanbelt tsb if it squeaks but other than that I give it 4 gold stars.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:41 AM
Contributing Member

If he is willing to wait a bit, I know lexus is coming out with the new rx330 hybrid soon. Lux and good gas milage = one happy dad.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:58 AM
Contributing Member

And if lux is not what he's looking for, he can get the highlander hybrid too
Old 07-20-2004, 10:12 AM
Contributing Member

What is wrong with the Subaru Forester XT?

That thing hauls ass, has AWD and is very comfortable. I know, I bought my wife one. It has been unstoppable, rain, ice, snow, sleet, etc. The highest safety rating in its class and has leather as an option.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:13 AM
Contributing Member

The Chrysler Pacifica has built in XM radio, navigation and is 50% MB engineered.

That would be a nice 2WD luxo cruiser with truck/hatchback capabilities.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:41 AM
Contributing Member

If 4WD isn't key, I'd definitely be focusing more on reliability and safety ratings, to avoid some soccer-mom 4WD expedition driving lunatic t-boning him at an intersection. I'd consider any vehicle with the side-curtain air bags.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:50 AM

My V6 has been noisy since day one but not to the extent that Mish experienced. It's not obnoxious and I don't believe it has any impact on longevity or durability - it appears to be mainly related to the type of exhaust manifold (rolled steel versus cast) than anything else. It's a very economical engine for an SUV, great towing if you stay around 3500lbs and easy engine to service I've ever owned. The V8 is butter comparatively but cost more and drinks more gas but to each his own.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:53 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Good Times
Ofcourse the new 4runner comes w/ xreas but that doesn't mean you can corner a banking freeway entrance at 65 mph.
Why not?

If it is an unlifted 2WD with XREAS, it will leave many sedans behind in the handling department. It just feels clumsy compared to some sedans but actually gets through fast corners with good stability. But for the same money you will get a sport sedan that will do much better.

I think people forget that the 4Runner is actually a very nice vehicle to drive, even if you ignore wheeling completely. It's quiet, comfy and rides really nice. The only real minus is the gas mileage. One thing people forget about SUV's, especially the stock 4Runner with runningboards, is how easy it is too get in and out of. Old people love this fact, as they dont have to bend down to get in and can just slide out when getting out. The mother of an older friend of ours loved my Runner (she is 90) as she could get in and out of it without any help, handle by the back seat and an easy high with the running board. Off course after I lifted it, it is no longer in favor
Old 07-20-2004, 12:02 PM
Contributing Member

I posted a topic last week about detonation with my 3.4, but it was found to be caused by my aftermarket intake and all is fine after removal. I personally think the 3.4 is a great V6.
Old 07-20-2004, 12:32 PM

Even if your father doesn't want the 4wd, he should get it. It will be easier to sell later on, and will be worth more in the long run. Unless he's going to keep the car for a long time, I would push the 4wd. If he's concerned with the mpg, then I would definitely wait for the Highlander hybrid. It's comfortable, has lot's of hp (270), and gets 600+ miles per tank. Obviously, if he's not concerned with 4wd, he doesn't need a pure SUV. The Highlander would definitely do. I can't believe you toyota owners are pushing other manufacturers. I would expect you guys to back other toyota cars as options to the 4Runner.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FirstToy
Well the Outback is all-new and is really lux inside and out. My friend has a Murano and it is nice as well, the Highlander is posh inside.
If your dad needs a classy lux vehicle how about the RX330, MDX or something that would give ultimate street lux comfort & style for around town driving. If those are out of the price range and you are looking at $27K neighborhood (SR5 4R) there are alot of good choices, I'm just throwing out ideas better suited to what you defined.

As for the V6, love it and haven't had any issues (bought 07-03). There is a fanbelt tsb if it squeaks but other than that I give it 4 gold stars.
Mohamed,

Agree w/ First toy here: the Murano is a good vehicle to consider for your dad's needs. My friend has one and i've driven in it and been a passenger. Decent room inside, shifts very smoothly, great power and handling. The only complaint is the miniscule cargo area which quite frankly, is a problem for most if not all street suvs.

I'd have to disagree w/ the recommendation for the MDX. Though a little bit larger, not worth the money for what you get. I'm speaking in broad terms vis-a-vis 4runners and the Murano.

Bob
Old 07-20-2004, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by tom4416
My V6 has been noisy since day one but not to the extent that Mish experienced.
Hi Tom..My V6 was experiencing the noise similar to yours but I had the sulphur smell TSB done..and it seemed to have also lessened the noise..can hardly hear it now..must be the new catalytic converter assembly they replaced..not sure but noise went down considerably..
Old 07-21-2004, 11:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sac State
What is wrong with the Subaru Forester XT?

That thing hauls ass, has AWD and is very comfortable. I know, I bought my wife one. It has been unstoppable, rain, ice, snow, sleet, etc. The highest safety rating in its class and has leather as an option.
Flat 6 Turbo charged engine, the sweetness and the car/wagon/SUV looks cool and aggressive and the scoop adds to it

Since you have a Subaru, the website says all cars have the 250hp 2.5 Turbo charged Boxer engine but what is the 3.0, just a NA 250hp engine
Old 07-21-2004, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by tom4416
My V6 has been noisy since day one but not to the extent that Mish experienced. It's not obnoxious and I don't believe it has any impact on longevity or durability - it appears to be mainly related to the type of exhaust manifold (rolled steel versus cast) than anything else. It's a very economical engine for an SUV, great towing if you stay around 3500lbs and easy engine to service I've ever owned. The V8 is butter comparatively but cost more and drinks more gas but to each his own.
The noise from the engine is more than likely the VVT-I.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4th Gen Question....has the V6 issue been resolved?