Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

4th gen noise/rattle question

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 4th gen noise/rattle question

I posted the same question on the www.toyota-4runner.org website that someone mentioned in a post. Got a few answers to my problem but I thought I'd try this board out on it. I've got a 2004 4runner Sr5 that has some type of metallic tapping noise that I can hear near the center of the dash that I can't seem to find the source of the noise. I've read about the headliner/sunroof rattle and read the TSB's on them but they didn't resolve the problem. The sound reminds me of small pebbles hitting the windshield and it only happens when I hit a rough spot in the road. Hot or cold weather doesn't seem to make any difference in the noise. Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions or has found a fix for a similar problem I'd appreciate hearing from you.
Old 02-27-2004, 02:25 PM

I think I might have had the same problem. Their is a long thin piece of metal that runs around the top of the dash, that when lose can cause some vibration. I took mine to the dealer and they fixed it. Good luck.

jeff
Old 02-27-2004, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by JSrunner
I think I might have had the same problem. Their is a long thin piece of metal that runs around the top of the dash, that when lose can cause some vibration. I took mine to the dealer and they fixed it. Good luck.

jeff

Crap I have the same problem. Sound like it moves a a little the the left or right as I drive, like a pebble is rolling around on the top of the dash. I've been dealing with it for weeks now. Where is the metal strip? Could I just insulate it myself? Anymore info on it would help a whole a lot.
Old 02-29-2004, 09:14 AM

Yosmany

Originally Posted by Yosmany
Crap I have the same problem. Sound like it moves a a little the the left or right as I drive, like a pebble is rolling around on the top of the dash. I've been dealing with it for weeks now. Where is the metal strip? Could I just insulate it myself? Anymore info on it would help a whole a lot.
If you find a fix for the problem will you email me with the solution. I'll do the same for you if I find it.
Old 02-29-2004, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by blackie
I'll do the same for you if I find it.

Absolutely. Hopefully JSRunner can tell us more about what the dealership did for his problem.
Old 02-29-2004, 01:57 PM

I am pretty sure that they just tightened up a loose screw. I told them about the rattle and they fixed it. sorry I cannot be more help.
Old 03-01-2004, 04:35 PM
mud

noise windsheild dash area

the problem is the cowl outside at the base of the windsheild .The rubber peace at the top of the cowl against windsheild seams to make noise and telegrath it threw windsheild I took of my cowl removed rubber strip cut about an 1/8 of an inch of just so it woudn,t touch the glass .Noise is totally gone.If you sit in your runner reach out and push on the cowl you will here the noise i believe your talking about.

Last edited by mud; 03-01-2004 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-01-2004, 06:02 PM

If you looked at this pic on partznet.com

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...10&catalogid=2

What number are you talking about. I am just having a hard time picturing which cowl your talking about.
Old 03-02-2004, 03:00 AM
mud

cowl

It would be part number 1 under the wipers the with the rubber strip that contacts the windsheild .If you push on that and sit inside you will here the creaking kliking noise.
Old 03-02-2004, 08:20 AM

Mud

Originally Posted by mud
It would be part number 1 under the wipers the with the rubber strip that contacts the windsheild .If you push on that and sit inside you will here the creaking kliking noise.
So if I understand this correctly you removed the rubber strip and removed 1/8" off it. Now, does that mean that you shortened the length or did you trim it lengthwise across the entire cowling? I just want to make sure I cut the right part.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:30 PM
mud

noise dash windsheild area

I trimed it length wise across the top just enougth so it did,nt touch the windsheild .By the way i took it to toyota to fix it and they put foam weather striping under the cowl whitch helped a little fore a couple of weeks.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:43 PM

Mud

Originally Posted by mud
I trimed it length wise across the top just enougth so it did,nt touch the windsheild .By the way i took it to toyota to fix it and they put foam weather striping under the cowl whitch helped a little fore a couple of weeks.
Thanks for the information. I've got the cowling off mine right now so I'll see how it goes from here.
Old 03-02-2004, 01:38 PM
mud

If you have a question about the cowl you can call me 508 284 9837.

Last edited by mud; 03-02-2004 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-02-2004, 01:45 PM

Follow up

I took apart the cowling but instead of cutting the strip I tried something different. I had a Ford POS crew cab that creaked like crazy on every bump in the road. On the Ford Diesel Stop website a guy posted an article on using Napa Sil-Gel, a really thick and gooey silicone, on the rubber weatherstripping on the doors. It worked. So I put a thick bead of that on the stripping on the inside edge of the weather strip on the cowling and when I test drove it no noise. So thanks Mud for pointing me in the right direction. I'll see how it goes from here.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by blackie
I took apart the cowling but instead of cutting the strip I tried something different.
How hard and how long did it take you to take the cowl off?
Old 03-03-2004, 02:40 AM
mud

It's very easy. Take off the wipers theirs a plastic cap on each with a bolt underneath open the hood pull off the to end peices and a screw at each end. 04 sr5 4runner v8

Last edited by mud; 03-03-2004 at 02:44 AM.
Old 03-03-2004, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by mud
It's very easy. Take off the wipers theirs a plastic cap on each with a bolt underneath open the hood pull off the to end peices and a screw at each end. 04 sr5 4runner v8
It only took me about five minutes to take off the cowling. The two plastic screws actually just pop out but don't force them because you'll snap them. Just unscrew the top a little and then just pry them out gently. To replace them work the inside shaft out of the four plastic arms on the clip and separate them. When you put the cowling back on insert the clip first and then put the shaft in. It'll snap itself shut when you do it right. The only problem I had putting the cowling back on was snapping the front of it to the body. You'll have to take off the windshield wipers to remove the cowling. Just remove the cover and unscrew the nut on each wiper. It takes a 14mm wrench. The wipers simply pop off after you remove the nut. If you decide to put the silicone gel on the cowling you can get it at any Napa parts store. They usually have it at the front counter. Just tell the guy that you need a tube of sil-gel. It's a really thick silicone and its also a real mess if you get it on stuff you don't want it on. But it worked for me. Mud cut the rubber trim on his which I'm sure is a long term solution. I thought I'd try the silicone before trimming the rubber strip. Anyway, I'm sure you won't have any problems doing the job.