Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

4th Gen DRL disabled ! and cost of the diff fluids change.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4th Gen DRL disabled ! and cost of the diff fluids change.

Well got my truck back from the dealer and some good, some bad.

The final answer, the daytime running lights can be disabled ! I have been told: It cannot be done because your DRL are factory installed.... Can't be done because you DRL are port installed.... It's a typo in the manual, it can't be done... This tiem I tried a new tact and told them I had personally called Toyota and had them check my vin number and it CAN be done. Guess what ? $36 later and my DRL are disabled... Well, it only took me 14.5 months to get it done.... Now, I sort of miss them, just kidding.

re: The 15k fluid change... My dealer charged me $101. It's going back because the service tech didn't change the transfer case fluid. I only caught this because the fluid was still in the back of my truck, he was like right off the boat from Japan and I don't think he could read the work order... Always check your work orders, no kidding. He kept saying there wasn't enough fluid, it wasn't on the work order, ect.

I had a rattle in my center speaker, they fixed that... They (he) put the dash back together all sCrEWy.. There are gaps, things are not flush like they used to be, I can actually grap the computer and pull it out with my hand.

They turned my discs under warranty ?!? But, charged me $18 in shop fees.

I broke my center hatch pocket thingy, it is of course on back order.

That for whoever mentioned the A/C filter... Mine was NASTY.

I'm not waiting for there to be a big pool of motor oil and diff fluid on my garage deck LOL !

The best part was where my invoice got lost and I sat there for 20min. I was getting kinda po'd and said something about my truck sitting there in parking. The rep goes, that's not your truck, yours must be someplace else. Right, because there is another 4Runner just like mine with the exact same decals on the rear window... Jeezus, where do they find some of these people.

Last edited by JGage; 03-04-2004 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-04-2004, 01:32 PM

Forgot to add.... The keyless entry cannot be changed. ie: You cannot have the dealer set it to unlock all the doors with one push of the button.
The only decent service rep (he was at lunch during pickup) said he has had tons of people ask and Toyota says it is just not do-able....

.... Of course they said that about my DRL the last four times I was there. sigh.

Last edited by JGage; 03-04-2004 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-04-2004, 02:36 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by JGage
Forgot to add.... The keyless entry cannot be changed. ie: You cannot have the dealer set it to unlock all the doors with one push of the button.
The only decent service rep (he was at lunch during pickup) said he has had tons of people ask and Toyota says it is just new do-able....

.... Of course they said that about my DRL the last four times I was there. sigh.
That is EXACTLY how my keyless entry works. ALL doors unlock.

I swear Toyota USA and Toyota Japan are different companies.

I had my in cabin A/C filter replaced after exactly one year and mine was nasty dirty as well.
Old 03-04-2004, 02:45 PM

There are actually bits of leaves and crap in mine.
Old 03-04-2004, 02:52 PM
Contributing Member

There are actually bits of leaves and crap in mine.

How do you replace the a/c filter. I have 14,000 miles on my rig and I've never replaced it.
Old 03-04-2004, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Biff
How do you replace the a/c filter. I have 14,000 miles on my rig and I've never replaced it.
It's in your manual...

You have to get in behind your glove box, it's not hard at all. The filters are $14-$17.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:34 PM

A few things.

Your DRL's can be disabled. Actually you could've done it yourself. On the back of the junction fuse box (bottom left of the steering wheel) the is a fuse flash relay for your turn signals.

There are two relays one for daytime running lights and turn signals, and another for only turn signals. All you have to do is get the other relay (with only turn signals, w/o DRL) and replace it. Very easy, just a couple of screws.

Actually there are a few people on here that wanted DRL's and you probably (logically speaking) could just trade flash relays.

As a matter of fact, I was just on the dealership's computer, did a search for our trucks and saw that there is a new TSB for disabling the DRL's. But changing the relay is much easier.

Why did you want to disable the DRL's anyway? Just wondering. The TSB said that some people work on military bases that have light sensitive security monitors.

For your airfilter, if you open the glove box, the are 4 screws. 2 inside the glove box, and 2 on the side of it. Just unscrew them and the cover in front of the airfilter comes off. Then just pull the filter out and put the new one in.

The milage computer supposed to pop out witih the pull of your hand. (not by itself) It is held together by 4 clips. It is made to snap out. Most of our truck's parts just snap together. If it is falling off, one of the yellow clips might be broken.

Also, did you know that if you press unlock twice on your keyless, it unlocks all the doors. It's a safety feature. If your being chase by someone then you can press it once and only open your door (driver) so no one can get into you car except you, and you can't get carjacked. You understand Toyota's logic. Twice...all doors!

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Yosmany; 03-04-2004 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-05-2004, 06:41 AM

Actually, this can be done. I had my dealer change my keyless entry unlock for all doors from two clicks to one on my 03 Sport.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Yosmany
A few things.

Your DRL's can be disabled. Actually you could've done it yourself. On the back of the junction fuse box (bottom left of the steering wheel) the is a fuse flash relay for your turn signals.

There are two relays one for daytime running lights and turn signals, and another for only turn signals. All you have to do is get the other relay (with only turn signals, w/o DRL) and replace it. Very easy, just a couple of screws.

Actually there are a few people on here that wanted DRL's and you probably (logically speaking) could just trade flash relays.
Aren't the wiring harnesses different between the DRL and not DRLs?

As a matter of fact, I was just on the dealership's computer, did a search for our trucks and saw that there is a new TSB for disabling the DRL's. But changing the relay is much easier.
Do you have the TSB number? I looked today and didn't see anything referencing DRLs. How did the TSB state to disable the DRLs?
Old 03-05-2004, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Biff

is this possible on the 3rd gens??? i cleaned the actual fan with BOB's writeup but didnt' see an air filter...
Old 03-05-2004, 09:52 AM

I spoke with the guy today and asked him how he did it. It is infact a computer command.
In fact, all new 4Runners can have the DRL activated at the dealership.

It's a safety feature. If your being chase by someone then you can press it once and only open your door (driver) so no one can get into you car except you, and you can't get carjacked. You understand Toyota's logic. Twice...all doors!
If that were the case, Toyota wouldn't make it possible for you to deactivate the auto lock feature. Toyota does cars, not person safety, they should stick to that.
Old 03-05-2004, 12:50 PM

[QUOTE=PistonSlap]Aren't the wiring harnesses different between the DRL and not DRLs?[QUOTE]

No, the wiring is the same. You just need the non-DRL flasher relay to get rid of them. Here is a URL from partznet showing both parts.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...03&catalogid=2

Last edited by rando; 03-08-2004 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-05-2004, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by PistonSlap
Do you have the TSB number? I looked today and didn't see anything referencing DRLs. How did the TSB state to disable the DRLs?
No I didn't write it down because I just figured that you could just change the relay. i won't be able to get on there for a while.

JGAGE

you know, for the $30 something dollars they charge to disable, I bet you that they are just changing the relay. That's about how much the relay cost.
Old 03-06-2004, 01:09 PM

Cool

you know, for the $30 something dollars they charge to disable, I bet you that they are just changing the relay. That's about how much the relay cost.
*Sigh*... The service tech/mech rode with me in the truck yesterday (looking for rattles) and I asked him how he did it... He said it was a computer thing, I stated what you said in your post and he said, "no.... It's a computer command."

They are turned off, that is all I care about... I'd hate to start screwing around with relays and next thing you know the truck starts playing muslim music, reverse is forward, and the dash lights do pretty X-mas tree twinkles.

BTW: Thanks again to whomever started the 15k post (Lefty ?) putting Amsoil in the diffs makes a noticeable difference when it comes to smoothness... I don't think doing the transfer case results in any different feel, only because it was done the next day and I didn't notice anything.

Now, I need an exaust, headers, and an SC....and cheaper gas prices.

Last edited by JGage; 03-06-2004 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-06-2004, 04:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I played with fuses and relays and in the newer cars they are all attached to more then 1 option or feature, on a past vehicle I pulled a fuse and the fuse stopped what I wanted it to but it also disconnected the power to the battery/alternator cause when I needed my lights they started to go dim it's not so easy on the newer cars they do that for a reason
Old 03-07-2004, 02:36 PM

Am I the only one here who is quetioning the "turned my rotors.." comment? I will NEVER have my rotors turned. It just makes them thinner and creates thin spots in the rotors which will make them warp faster. I assume you had them turned because they were warped? I find it hard to beleive that they were warped after only 15k miles. Were they?
Old 03-07-2004, 06:09 PM

I missed that but I would never have my rotors turned and if they did it without telling me Im not leaving till I get new rotors, I don't know how any1 is warping the rotors so fast or at all, I've never warped rotors is their a way you can do it on purpose, do you ride the brakes
Old 03-07-2004, 06:41 PM

I don't have rotors, I have discs... There is nothing wrong with turning the discs. The fronts were getting rough, I was getting vibration on the steering wheel when stopping (not real bad,) I told them to do it....

FWIW: I never said rotors.... and I have 21.5k on my ride.

No, I don't ride my breaks... But, I do drive my 4Runner like a sports car. The rear discs are smooth as anything.

I had them machine my discs almost once a year on my 300ZX and after 9yrs the discs were still good to go.
Old 03-07-2004, 07:11 PM

disc are rotors
Old 03-07-2004, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by EDGE
disc are rotors
Yup!!!

Quick Reply: 4th Gen DRL disabled ! and cost of the diff fluids change.