Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Are 4runners good 4 long distance highway trips?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are 4runners good 4 long distance highway trips?

Hi Guys

First time poster and I want to ask a few questions that could help me learn more about the 4Runner. I'm interested in buying my first SUV,and the new 2004 4Runner looks like a real good choice, especially now that it offers more leg & hip room. My concern is whether this vehicle would be the smarter purchase compared to the Toyota Sequoia. Both seem like fun to drive trucks in the city and for short distance drives, and being that I'm a tall person at 6,4, I want something that can feel comfortable even on long trips. Don't have a family that would require alot of passenger room, but I do want something fun to drive with plenty of leg room for me. What is your opinion, has the size of the 4Runner been too small for long comfortable trips, would you go with the new version 4Runner or opte for the Sequoia, and what factors do I lose by picking the Sequioa vs the 4Runner?

Thanks
Old 10-14-2003, 12:06 PM

Are 4Runners good for long distance highway trips?

Come-on guys,give me abit of feed back!
Old 10-14-2003, 12:13 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where are you at in Bama? I'm just outside of Birmingham.

I drive my 99 to Mississippi and to the Alabama Gulf Coast all the time... about 20k miles per year.

I'm about 6'5", 230# and I don't have any problems with comfort...

Last edited by bamachem; 10-14-2003 at 12:21 PM.
Old 10-14-2003, 12:33 PM

Hi Bamachem

I'm in Mobile,west Mobile to be exact. Seeing all these trucks/suv has influenced me. Got to have one and just trying to pick the right one. This is a interesting forum,I've been reading the threads for about a week, the guys in here appear to have a great deal of experience with suv's. I think Toyotas are the best quality SUV's on the market but deciding which Toyota is the tough decision. Have you had your 4Runner for a long time, any major problems? Being that you are also a tall person,do you ever wish for more leg room on long trips?
Old 10-14-2003, 12:42 PM

Re: Are 4Runners good for long distance highway trips?

Originally posted by CruisingBama
Come-on guys,give me abit of feed back!
Well you asked for it so here it is.

I am looking at replacing my '91 Runner and have been looking at the Sequoia, the New Runner, and the Tundra Limited. It is from my auditioning all three that I make my claims.

Here are my driving impressions:

Seating Postion
The Runner is more of a leg-forward (like a recliner) seating position, where the Sequoia/Tundra is more of a leg-down (like a chair) seating position.

Suspension
The Runner is more light and sporty feeling while the Sequoia/Tundra are heavy and more truck-like. All absorbed bumps and were comfortable.

Roominess
To me, the Front Seat area (you said to not worry about family so we'll ignore the space in the back) is comparable in roominess across all three (the Sequoia and Tundra Limited have bucket seats and a console and so does the Runner).

To answer your question about long distance driving, it then boils down to personal preference....how do you like to sit for an extended period......like a recliner or like a chair? Personally, I like sitting reclined. It is more comfortable for my 6' 1" frame and is sporty feeling....thus making around town driving more fun and the long trips more comfrotable. Do you like a heavy suspension when traveling or a light responsive feel? I like the responsive feel when I travel. And finally as far as front seat room they are comparable. You specifically mentioned leg room.....so decide whether you like chair versus recliner.

These are my impressions. I hope this helps.

David
Old 10-14-2003, 12:43 PM
Contributing Member

Just hit 17k on my 4runner (03) and it's been only 10 months. I love driving this rig!!!

The longest drive I've done in my 4runner is about 400 miles a way. The weekend drive came out to about 900 miles total (4day).

I must say it's a wonderful vehicle to drive. I'm 5'10, so I'm much shorter than you but the leg room is great The seats are comfy and it's very easy to drive. Almost drives like a sedan too (smooth).

As for comparing both the 4runner and the Sequoia, both are wonderful SUV's that you really can't go wrong in. Both come with the good ol reliable v8 (the 4runner comes w/ the 5 A/T while the Sequoia has the 4A/T.), along with the all new v6 for the 4runner. I would say just go with either one as both offers wonder cargo space and there are plenty of room for passengers on either vehicle.

If you ever plan to offroad, I'd say the 4runner is better built for that reason. If that is not the case then the Sequoia will do you great as it offers a 3rd row seating (which still has some cargo space behind, the 4runner's 3rd row takes up the cargo space).

Not sure which one better only because it's both in a different class but you get the picture

Good luck!
Old 10-14-2003, 12:45 PM

Just took my 03 sport on a 7 hour trip with no problems. That was the longest trip to date and was one of the best yet. It has a very nice smooth ride on the highway and a comfortable interior. This is the best riding suv I have ever been in or owned.
Just my opinion
Old 10-14-2003, 12:51 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mobile, eh? Out near semmes or more south like Bayou La Batre?

I'm from Fairhope, just across the bay. Keisur is from Mobile, too.

I flew to Dallas alst Sept to pick up my 99 2wd and drove it back. I liked it so much that I flew to Houston in July and bought a 4wd Black one and drove it 10.5 hours back to Birmingham. I sold it and made some $$$, then flew to Houston again a couple of weeks ago and bought my latest - 99 Limited 4wd in Sunfire Red. This one's a keeper.

I'll be selling my 2wd, but I plan to continue to fly out and pick one up every few months to resell. Each time I have to spend almost 11 hours ONE WAY and it doesn't bother me...

WELCOME

Last edited by bamachem; 10-14-2003 at 01:15 PM.
Old 10-14-2003, 01:02 PM

Both of you gave prospectives that I had not thought about. Always good to hear another opinion. There certainly is a difference in a reclining seating position to that of a chair like position. Excellent point! There is the off roading option which I have not done but wanted to try. I wonder how well would the Sequioa handle offroading,have you guys heard any thing about past performances?
Old 10-14-2003, 01:26 PM
Erc

What's your definition of "fun to drive"?
I own a 02 runner (3rd gen), so I can't really comment on the newer models' comfort, but my definition of "fun to drive" is being able to accelerate swiftly and take turns at "good" speed. This vehicle doesn't do either very well.
It’s a truck and it’s probably one of the best ones out there. If you want a great truck and intend to drive it like it’s meant to be driven, 4Runner is a great choice.
Unless you’re driving off road (which is AWESOME in a 4Runner), I can’t see how “fun to drive” can apply to this vehicle.

Last edited by Erc; 10-14-2003 at 01:28 PM.
Old 10-14-2003, 01:37 PM

2003 4Runner is made for road trips! Tight, right and outta sight! oh wait a minute, that was my first girlfriend. The 4R is solid though!

Seating is a personal issue so you just have to settle in real good and test drive both. Everything feels good at first so really take a bit of time behind the wheel of both to see which you like.

I've heard tall people complain about the headroom with the sunroof. I don't have a sunroof and there is tons of headroom, then again I'm not tall so it's just my big ol' head.

I really like the 4R and I don't like the looks of the Sequoia so you know the truck I recommmend. Good luck and show pics of whatever you get.
Old 10-14-2003, 01:51 PM

I just bought an 03 4runner Ltd. and it's awesome. I haven't been on any long trips yet but the seats (mine are leather) are one of the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in. I'm 6'4" and the only problem I have is the amount of headroom (w/ sunroof). My hair sometimes brushes up against the roof on the sides where there's no sunroof cutout.
Other than that, I have no complaints. There's plenty of legroom. It rides really nice and is quiet for an SUV. Oh yeah, with the V8 (or V6), it's quick. I don't have the X-REAS suspension but it handles pretty good for being an SUV.
Old 10-14-2003, 02:06 PM
Contributing Member

My '03 turns one year old next month and I love it. I took it out of town last weekend and kept thinking how nice of a drive it had on the highway. It is also nice around town because it doesn't feel too heavy. My neightbor has a Sequoia and says he wished he could trade it in on a 4Runner. Around town he said it just feels heavy and underpowered. The 4Runner has plenty of kick to it. I think you will be very happy with the 4runner.
Old 10-14-2003, 02:07 PM

Before I purchased my '01 4Runner I test drove Sequoia as well. Maybe that was just me, but Sequoia felt way too big. I mean 4Runner isn't a small truck either, but in 4Runner I can do parallel parking with my eyes closed. I certainly couldn't do that in Sequoia.

But, as several guys mentioned earlier, it's all a matter of personal preferences. My best advise for you would be to try driving both SUVs and see which one you like better. After all, you'll be the one driving that new car!

-- Andrey

Last edited by Andrey; 10-14-2003 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-14-2003, 03:34 PM

Driving the '03 4-Runner is very comfortable, but if you will be in the front passenger seat at times, the leg room is just not there.
So just always do the driving
Old 10-14-2003, 03:37 PM

Aside from the $55,000 sticker price, what's wrong with the legendary Landcruiser? As far as I was concerned the Landcruiser has, is, and always will be the best 4x4 Toyota has ever produced.

My dad bought his 1997 Landcruiser brand new and has been very happy with it. It's awesome off road and very comfortable. Especially the 98+, I've driven several Cruiser's and LX470's and I must say that out of full size SUV's the Landcruiser is the best in every category (the LX470 isn't worth the $12,000 difference)

You could find a 2000 Landcruiser for around the same price as a Limited 4Runner.

my $02

Juggalo
Old 10-14-2003, 05:51 PM

4runner of course!

Hi
I got a 3rd gen 4runner that I took up a down the west coast on a recent trip. I can only assume the new/4th gen 4runner has more space inside. But I'm 6'1" and had not problem "fitting" under the roof. And yes it rides and handles like a truck, probably the new version has a nicer ride but still not like a car. If you are going to do a lot of roadtrips I suggest you try to rent either model first and test them that way. The Seq. will have more cargo room but do you really need the space everyday (plus the sub 18mpg), it will also be big on the 4wd trails. The 4runner will be a great size if you if you don't need to haul 5 people all the time.

Finally - guys don't kill me for saying this - if you don't go offroad have you considered non truck options (audi quattro, Subarus) that handles better.

Have fun testing out the trucks.
C
Old 10-15-2003, 05:25 AM
Contributing Member

My mom makes a yearly business stay out from here (Colorado) to D.C. and back with her '99 Limited and she never has complained and really likes her truck. Believe me if there was something she didn't like about it I would have heard about it by now.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:01 AM
Contributing Member

I've been driving 4-Runners for 10 + yrs now.

I traded in a 93' Runner for an 02' a year ago. The one thing that I noticed was the 2nd Gen was more comfortable for long trips than the 3rd Gen.

The main issue for me is that the arm rest on the drivers door is too low for me to use. In my 2nd Gen I could rest my right arm on the console and my left on the arm rest and hold the steering wheel with both hands quite comfortably. Great for long trips...

In my 3rd Gen I can rest my right arm on the console but have to put left arm up on the "window sill" whatever ya call it....LOL to be comfortable. Then I don't have a safe 2 handed grip on the steering wheel.

Also the 3rd gen seat is more "chair like" than my 2nd Gen was. Not as bad as the Sequoia but not as comfortable as the 3rd gen.
Old 10-15-2003, 10:32 AM

Hi fellas

I'm taking in all your great responses. Some real good opinions in here. To the guy who mentioned Landcruisers, I like the way they look(family member had one) but I don't enjoy how top heavy they are. Gives a feeling of unstableness in the slightest of turns,kinda like the Landrovers. What I enjoy about all the Toyotas are their unmistakable rugged look. Regardless of the year of the Toyota suv,they all have that look that makes you want to take a double take at them. I lived for quite a while in the northeast,Jersey and NYC before moving to the Gulf Coast. Use to visit the New England area often for various reasons and certain vehicles(Saab,Volvo) stood out because they were very popular in that area. I wonder if the 4Runner has that type of popularity in a particular region of the country, more so then other areas? For instance here in south Alabama, 4Runners seem like their every where.Very popular and difficult to find a later model because they are so saught after. The other day I witness this guy with what look to be a 1995--96 runner towing a large boat that had to weigh more than 5000lbs. That was impressive, but you could tell the trailor was pushing the back of the runner almost half way to the ground. Man these trucks are tough!! Anyway,all your opinions are welcomed and appreciated,keep them coming. Being a tall guy, its always good to learn how comfortable the 4runner is for other tall people.

Quick Reply: Are 4runners good 4 long distance highway trips?