Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

4Runner vs. Taco??

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2003, 06:14 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4Runner vs. Taco??

No this isn' a thread to start controversy and split our lovley community in two. All Iwant to know is why a Taco can be lifted so much more than a Runner, if theyare pretty much the same truck. We the Runner owners can use Tacoma parts to do custom jobs, like fitting aa ARB snorkle on a 3rd gen. Then why can't we have a 4" ift too w/o ripping the suspension apart? Taco's can go huge and fit 35+ tires while we are prettymuch stuck on 33s, why is this what is it in a Taco that makes it able to go BIGGER?? Thanks in advanace.
Old 08-10-2003, 07:31 AM
Contributing Member

Let me start by saying that any limit on the 4Runner as far as that 4" you mentioned, exists on the Taco as well. And it's really a 2.5" - 3" with the addition of a diff drop that gets you near 4".

Having owned both (Taco & 3rd Gen 4R), I can safely say that as far as the front suspension is concerned, yeah, you can do the mondo lift. It would be easy to put the TrailMaster 6" lift up front and slap in the SAWs and crank em up. Should give you about 8-9 inches of front suspensions if you go with longer springs and Tundra valving. Easy!

But then... Uh oh... What about that rear?!?! That's where to problems start. Problems that can be over come - certainly. But not without a lot of custom work and serious engineering/thinking. The Taco's have leaf springs in the rear which is SO easy to lift, while the mulitlink system in the late model 4Runners rule out such ease.

A while back, there was someone here that was considering doing just this. You may want to try a search and see what the final conclusion was. It would be very cool to do and see, and it's certaintly not out of the realm of possibilities. I just don't think I've seen it done yet!

Last edited by Gene; 08-10-2003 at 07:34 AM.
Old 08-10-2003, 08:33 PM

Jeez Scott, I can't believe you didn't know all that.
jk
Old 08-10-2003, 11:00 PM

I posted this exact question, and I am still on the fence about it. Yes, the trailmaster system will work up front, and I was thinking about, and still might, use the 3 1/2 inch lift springs from downey or OME and then use my revtek spacer to achieve the same lift in the rear...maybe even build a custom spacer if neccessary. Now, as 44runner has told me, if you go that big, then the drive shaft hits the gas tank and the gas tank would then need moved. You also have the problem of the panhard bar, which also can be custom done, but it also needs done. Now, I have also heard that the front crossmember will come in the way of the front driveshaft on 4runners if you go with the trailmaster, but since no one has tried, I'm not sure anyone knows. I'd absolutely love to see someone do it before me, just because I can't afford too much down time to/if/when I try it....so if someone else does the leg work, I'm thinking there'll be a few people to jump on board and also do that lift.

Do it!!!
Old 08-11-2003, 07:04 AM

Sorry, can't add anything about the lift issue, but along the same note (maybe you guys already know this) Why do the parts for the Manual Hubs cost more for the 4Rer than the Taco. See link below:

http://www.offroadsolutions.com/products/tacomas.htm

I know its only $40, but everything looks the same to me. I have a Taco, and the manual hubs (sitting on a shelf on the garage) but I was just wondering.