Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

4Runner VS. Honda Pilot

Old 04-05-2003, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4Runner VS. Honda Pilot

What's the latest here? Some of the Consumer Guides have chosen the Honda as the new Best Thing on the block, dropping the 4Runner down several notches. (Consumer Guides, and notably Consumer Reports) What's the REAL word out there???

Rob
Old 04-05-2003, 05:50 PM
Del

Well considering the 4Runner is in it's 4th generation and Honda has had to keep designing more SUV's since none of the others sold well, I would guess that this is just a fluke and that the Pilot isn't going to sell well either. Especially if it's what I'm thinking is, that one with the doors that open up to that big rear passenger compartment.
Old 04-05-2003, 06:07 PM
Contributing Member

Well, the reviews are mixed on the new 4Runners here. Some like, some not so much. That’s mostly based on looks though. For me, its alright. I prefer the 3rd generation rather than the new ones, but I’m sure they will slowly grow on me as time goes on. Though I do feel that Toyota is doing what every car maker is and making their SUVs more "car like" In turn losing some of the off road manners, though they definitely have pushed the "outdoorsy" look with all their advertising. The first thing you have to ask your self is what type of SUV you want. I think most of the people on this forum are all about taking their trucks off road and getting out into a non-everyday environment. We like something to be tough and can handle the rocks and go through standing water etc. Basically what I'm getting at is this, the 4Runner is still built on a truck platform, the Pilot is built off a car platform (If I’m not mistaken). As for looks, I love the rear end of the Pilot, but the front looks way too much like its little sibling the CRV. You can get cool goodies in the Pilot like DvD player for the kids etc, but... I’m sure they are both great vehicles. Oh yeah, you can also get a V8 in the 4Runner so if you do any type of towing, I'd definitely go with the 4Runner... ok, have to run, good luck!
Old 04-05-2003, 07:24 PM

We looked at the Honda Pilot too before getting the 4 Runner, one major put-off is, it is really a Honda Odyssey in disguise. Now no offense to the Odyssey's owners, but if you are considering a real SUV, would you buy a van? Price tags are comparable, if you like a 8 seater ( 4 adults and 4 small kids more likely ) then go for it, but don't take it to the logging roads too much ( or off road , - we, in Canada are loggers )
Old 04-05-2003, 08:01 PM
Contributing Member

ever since seeing the new runner in action, i have wanted one severely. a completely stock 4th gen 4runner did some obstacles with ease that others had problems with. here are some videos...

here

the first threeare the 2003 vids. right click and save them to your computer.
Old 04-05-2003, 08:30 PM
Contributing Member

I used to not be able to stand the new 4runner, but it's definatly grown on me

I LOVE it now because ive seen its capabilities offroad in person

it kicks ass
Old 04-05-2003, 08:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
if at all possible, i will never own a car with a transverse engine( aka mounted the wrong way)

the pilot falls into this category. the 4runner does not. therefore, the 4runner is the winner(although toyota is stupid for not making a manual transmission optional on the new ones)
Old 04-06-2003, 12:11 AM
Contributing Member

Re: 4Runner VS. Honda Pilot

Originally posted by furtherlane@aol.com
What's the latest here? Some of the Consumer Guides have chosen the Honda as the new Best Thing on the block, dropping the 4Runner down several notches. (Consumer Guides, and notably Consumer Reports) What's the REAL word out there???

Rob
well you can tell those consumer guides to cram it up their ass. really, you can.

okay it's like this. let me break it down for you. the pilot is a great daily driver car. for a family. for someone who doesn't plan of offroading. for someone who wants a nice car like ride.

the 4runner is a great daily driver truck. and off road vehicle. not best suited for a family, that's what the seqouia is for. if you want a pilot by toyota, check out the highlander.

okay i guess those consumer guides aren't all bad. they did afterall recommend the george foreman grill.
Old 04-06-2003, 06:03 AM

The Pilot is as everyone has stated.My wife has one and I have the 87'4runner.Yes,the pilot has the Acura all-wheel drive train on the Odessy chasis.It's a great family vehicle.Safe,comfortable,and an excellent value for the price!The 4runner is suited more for the adventurous individual!Strong off road capabilities and reliability!Good looks to match it's off road performance!
Old 04-06-2003, 07:22 AM

Toyota is dropping the sport cladding already mid year in production. I think that was my biggest gripe with the new 4Runner. Another thing that concerns me is that apparently there is no way to turn off the traction control computer and at times no power is delivered to any of the tires. I like my simple 4WD just for that reason. I'd love to have a center coupling that worked great off road but once you start using the ABS and limiting engine power to limit slip I'm not too happy. There IS a certain amount of wheelspin inherent to off road driving. I hear the 4th gen climbs hills like nobodys business - and having a 2nd gen I'm jealous of the engine options.
Old 04-06-2003, 07:26 AM

4Runner also has the option for a V8... Power to do alot more then the Pilot. That is the bigest thing that grabs my attention that would get me to sell my curreny runner
Old 04-06-2003, 11:26 AM
Contributing Member

Man, the Foreman grill kicks. Have you ever made grilled cheese on that thing? Hmmmmmmmm, grilled cheese.
Old 04-07-2003, 02:25 PM

Depends on what you are looking for. I was looking at the Pilot, 4Runner, and Trailblazer when I decided on the 4Runner. I wanted a true 4x4 and the ability to tow a boat with no problems. The Pilot just doesn't fit into that catagory. The 4Runner has an excellent V8 and feels more solid than the Chevy. So when it came to Chevy or Toyota, the choice was easy. Don't rely on other people/reviews though, go drive them and see for yourself.
Old 04-07-2003, 06:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
therefore, the 4runner is the winner(although toyota is stupid for not making a manual transmission optional on the new ones)
Yup, I wish they'll make the manual transmission as an option. I would be glad to buy one if it happens. I've grown driving manuals and I have never owned an automatic in my life.
Old 04-08-2003, 02:14 PM

there should be no debate

as much as i love honda, id have to nix the pilot and its unibody design. while the pilot is very reliable and very well built, i dont think it has anything on the runner when your comparing offroad capabilities. and im sure you wont be able to find much aftermarket for the pilot either. honda ruined their suv chances when they had the passport and rodeo come off the same line. i think the 4th gens are sweet as well but i dont like the plastic cladding on them. me 2 cents.
Old 04-08-2003, 02:54 PM
Contributing Member

Especially if it's what I'm thinking is, that one with the doors that open up to that big rear passenger compartment.
Nope, you are thinking of the Honda Element . The Pilot is the Honda version of the Acura MDX . It's a cool SUV in a 4wd station wagon, soccer mom, kind of way. It is by no means ready for off-road duty. In that respect, the 4Runner is a much better vehicle. Plus it's a Toyota! What answer did you expect to get from this forum?
Old 04-08-2003, 03:20 PM
Contributing Member

Just had to jump on this thread! hehe

I have a cool 03 but dang if I can get a grocery suv, it'd be the pilot

Gotta say honda makes some quality products (just like toyota) but I think honda makes better curves on their vehicles...

I mean the odyssey is a very awesome mini-van (hell I was even thinking about it only cuz it hauls alot of junk!). but since i don't have a fam yet there's really no need! lol

the pilot is just an odyssey w/o the mini-van look gotta give it 2 thumbs up for it..

but if you're looking for a "real" suv, then it's gotta be the 4runner!!

what they really need to do is make 2 categories!!!

SUV = sports utility vehicle
SUC = sports utility car

I'd say the non offroading capable suv's gotta change their name to SUC!!! hehe
Old 04-08-2003, 04:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i say the ones without good offroad capability be returned to what they really are -- station wagons.
Old 04-08-2003, 09:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by doink
ever since seeing the new runner in action, i have wanted one severely. a completely stock 4th gen 4runner did some obstacles with ease that others had problems with. here are some videos...

here

the first threeare the 2003 vids. right click and save them to your computer.
I'd really like to see those vids, but keep getting the error message #80040265, not supported by Media Player. I'm running W98, MP 7.01. When I try to update MP (it's up to 9.0 now, I think) it says no updates available. Is it a W98 thing? Any ideas? TIA...
Old 04-08-2003, 11:52 PM

I really hate WMP9 because of the DRM "features" they included. I went ahead and installed it just to watch the videos. lol.

Here's a link to download it:
Windows Media Player 9

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4Runner VS. Honda Pilot