Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

4Runner swing out tire carrier? Can it be attached to a Tacoma?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4Runner swing out tire carrier? Can it be attached to a Tacoma?

Can a older model 4Runner swing out tire carrier be mounted to a 2001 tacoma?
I am looking for a cheap way to get my spare out from under my truck.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
It will have to be modified. The older 4runners/Trucks are a few inches narrower than the 95.5+ trucks/4runners.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMO your question is a bit complicated to answer. Can the rack be mounted on an 01 tacoma? Sure, you could also mount a jungle gym to it with the right amount of fabrication. Basically it all depends on the amount of fabrication you are willing to do. The vehicle is not the original vehicle nor is it the original body style (in any stretch of the imagination), therefore, I wager it'll take a good bit of fab.

Personally I wouldn't do it just cause I don't like the way a swing-out would look on the back of a pickup, just personal preference. If it was me, I'd just store it in the bed. If you are looking for a way to store it on the back, I've seen some good looking ones that mount to the receiver hitch, shouldn't be too bad on price.

Sorry if I come over as a jerk, I'm just throwin out some ideas.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:17 PM
Contributing Member

if i recall correctly the 2nd gens just bolted to the back of the passenger side body and extended around the back, I'm sure it can be done it just might not span the entire tailgate and thus offsetting the tire...hmm I wonder if the same would apply to the 3rd gen, I wouldn't mind a junkyard temp to hold me over until the bumper goes on

alright maybe this isn't the time or place but is it just me or are you a pretty big dude, from that user pic i'd say you picked that taco up and placed it on the tire, shouldn't you be in a cruiser or tundra instead?

Last edited by MillerPKA; 03-02-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:21 PM

My 2001 Tacoma has a snug top camper shell. I would like to move the spare and not take up space in the bed. As far as anything on top the shell I don't want the extra weight up high. I do alot of Off-Roading in Southern New Mexico and any off camber trails are best with a lower center of balance. I also figure I would have something different.
Thanks to all for the comments.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:41 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Also just so you know, The runners with the swing outs have some sort of reinforcement behind the sheetmetal. So dont go thinkin your going to able to bolt it on and be done...But yeah, anything can be done...

Old 03-04-2009, 12:53 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the stock swing out on my 2nd gen 4runner and I think it would be cool on your truck.
Yes it doe's have a reinforcement brace about 1/4 thick from top to bottom for all the bolts front and rear mounting L shaped bar and a plate on top and bottom it add strength maybe you can add one to the middle as well just for extra strength.
As for the length I think just cutting the swing out itself and adding round bar too make it more centered of course add inner small bar for strength re weld and you have it centered where you want.
As for the catch you make have to cut the inside of your tailgate to get to the bolts so you can put nuts and lock washers on but again I would back it with a piece of plate steel to add strength.
Mine holds a 35 with no issues and I have never had a problem off road with just make sure if you do it you make it swing out far enough to drop your tailgate lol if you do it please make sure to do a wright up and add pictures I want to see how cool it would look.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:34 PM

4Runner spare tire swing out Day 1

Well here I go. I just picked up this early 90's 4Runner spare tire swing out at a local salvage yard on 8 March 09. A few rust spots but works like new. 9 March 09 removed rust and painted swing out. Its going to be a work in progress. Next step. Get some metal/bolts for some reinforcement. Will add photos as it goes.
Attached Thumbnails 4Runner swing out tire carrier? Can it be attached to a Tacoma?-pre-tire-swing-out.jpg   4Runner swing out tire carrier? Can it be attached to a Tacoma?-just-back-junk-yard-8march09.jpg   4Runner swing out tire carrier? Can it be attached to a Tacoma?-sizing-up.jpg  
Old 03-09-2009, 10:27 PM

Well, Ill be on the lookout...

Old 03-09-2009, 10:42 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ol'SkoolAdventurer
Well here I go. I just picked up this early 90's 4Runner spare tire swing out at a local salvage yard on 8 March 09. A few rust spots but works like new. 9 March 09 removed rust and painted swing out. Its going to be a work in progress. Next step. Get some metal/bolts for some reinforcement. Will add photos as it goes.
Cool to see you took the plunge I will be watching to see how it go's looks like it will be fine as for the centering issue drop it a inch or two to get around the tail light and it should look factory can't wait to see it done

Last edited by olharleyman; 03-09-2009 at 10:45 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 03:42 PM

Making any progress?

Just picked up a 4Runner swing away tire carrier with the hopes of bolting it onto my 98 Tacoma...

Got everything but the 'internal' support; swing away tire carrier, tailgate mounted latch and the license plate bracket for a price I couldn't resist.

Just holding the tire carrier up to the truck and it's a pretty decent fit, specially on the passenger corner (were 'internal' support is going to be required). The latch assy is going to need a bit of work...

So if you have any pointers, please pass them along...

Can anyone post up pictures of the internal bracing on the 4Runner?

Rick
Old 05-17-2009, 04:04 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by pray4surf
Making any progress?

Just picked up a 4Runner swing away tire carrier with the hopes of bolting it onto my 98 Tacoma...

Got everything but the 'internal' support; swing away tire carrier, tailgate mounted latch and the license plate bracket for a price I couldn't resist.

Just holding the tire carrier up to the truck and it's a pretty decent fit, specially on the passenger corner (were 'internal' support is going to be required). The latch assy is going to need a bit of work...

So if you have any pointers, please pass them along...

Can anyone post up pictures of the internal bracing on the 4Runner?

Rick
check this link it has good pic's and great info on swaping one onto a 4runner but can be some good points for your truck as well

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...arrier-155857/
Old 05-17-2009, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by olharleyman
check this link it has good pic's and great info on swaping one onto a 4runner but can be some good points for your truck as well

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...arrier-155857/
Yeah... I found that link (along with this thread) using the forums 'Search' feature...

Haven't found much information re this mod anywhere but YT...

Thanks!

Rick
Old 05-17-2009, 07:24 PM

Dang, Didnt know you were over here too Rick !!

If you need or want any help getting that on your truck let me know..

Old 05-17-2009, 08:04 PM

Tacoma Swing Gate update

Sorry for the delay.
The Swing Gate Mod to my Tacoma is at a halt. I need to get a bumper that is flush to the tailgate. I have a buddy with a nice home made off-Road bumper that I may be getting soon. Once I get that bumper I can continue with the Mod. The plan is create enough re-enforcement to prevent the right rear truck bed from being damaged going down the dusty trail. More to follow.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:15 PM

Sorry for the delay.
The Swing Gate Mod to my Tacoma is at a halt. I need to get a bumper that is flush to the tailgate. I have a buddy with a nice home made off-Road bumper that I may be getting soon. Once I get that bumper I can continue with the Mod. The plan is create enough re-enforcement to prevent the right rear truck bed from being damaged going down the dusty trail. More to follow.
I've already got an aftermarket (BentUp) rear bumper. I've found a few other writeups here on YT that shed some light on the 4Runner mounting method. I'll have to see what a couple of local fabricators think. It may be simpler to mount the swing-away to the bumper rather than to the bed...

I'll let you know how it progresses.

Rick
Old 05-18-2009, 01:13 AM

Rick, A local fabricator as in Scuba ?

Old 05-18-2009, 06:24 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Pray4Surf, did you buy that one for $40 down here in SD? I wanted that.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by SC4Runner
Pray4Surf, did you buy that one for $40 down here in SD? I wanted that.
That is the one. But the seller gave me a much better price

As SoCal TTORA chapter prez, I carry clout...
Old 05-27-2009, 10:07 AM

Sorry for the delay.
Short of heavily modifying/bracing the bed internally, can we get enough structural rigidity by adding bed stiffeners and a rear bed bar?

IMO - the structural rigidity of the 4Runner is 'primarily' accomplished with the complete (all four sides) body structure. Whereas the pickup is nothing more than a "U" .... - So bed stiffeners would strengthen the bed side to bed and the bed bar would close the "U" and tie the pass side to the drivers side.

As for this fabwork (Picture found here)

I don't see that as all that necessary (unless you are not using a bed bar for structural rigidity). I would use some type of steel plate material behind the sheetmetal, but I don't see the benefit of welding it all together.

The latching mechanism seems pretty secure. So I don't think there will be much movement of the carrier when it is latched.

Quick Reply: 4Runner swing out tire carrier? Can it be attached to a Tacoma?