Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

4runner side steps

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4runner side steps

Ok so want something like this for my 00 4runner. My wife and her mom are about 5' tall and I have a 2 suspension lift with 32" tires and going to be putting on a 2 inch body lift. They are going to need a running start to get into the truck after the BL. I have the stock side steps on right now but once I go with the body lift, having the stock side steps will look dumb.

Any body know of a vendor who sells these style for the 4runners? I can only find the westin style steps for the 4runner other then sliders.

I know people are going to say just get sliders but this is not a 4x4 and only goes on desert trails and maybe a dirt road. so this is more for my wife and her mom and keeping with a clean look for the truck. I would have taken them off and left them off a long time ago if it was up to me. I have even thought about a folding step stool tied to a string so they can pull it up and into the 4runner.

Any suggestion on side steps will be helpful and picture too!!

Thanks Guys and Girls
Old 03-03-2009, 09:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honestly. If the side steps work for you and are not going to get bashed then keep them. They are attached to the body and will go up with it when you do the body lift. They will also hide the frame from sight. Most people will not even know that you have a BL.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:39 AM

Do they I thought they mounted to the frame, and would stay in place while the body lifted 2"?
Old 03-03-2009, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by oddjob1370
... I have even thought about a folding step stool tied to a string so they can pull it up and into the 4runner.
better yet, mount one those RV steps under your truck.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:52 AM

ha ha I had already thought about that....not enough room to mount it
Old 03-03-2009, 09:53 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Well i mean, If once you do the BL and you dont like it, Although im with gerdo on this, itll hide the frame and the unsitely huge BL look, Take them off and buy some sliders, I know those things in your pic are from Fj's but ive never seen any for runner. Sliders will look nice, and can be used as good steps...
Old 03-03-2009, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by scuba
Well i mean, If once you do the BL and you dont like it, Although im with gerdo on this, itll hide the frame and the unsitely huge BL look, Take them off and buy some sliders, I know those things in your pic are from Fj's but ive never seen any for runner. Sliders will look nice, and can be used as good steps...
Slider are nice and if I took the 4runner on any trails that i would need them I would get them. They won't provide the amount of drop needed for a step for a small woman to get into the truck. Getting a slider would be like just putting her foot into the cars floor and pulling her self up.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:21 AM

What about adding some step down bars to a regular slider? The steps would defeat the purpose of the sliders though.

Or, a small trampoline maybe??
Old 03-03-2009, 10:27 AM

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/r...d-info-165644/
Old 03-03-2009, 10:27 AM

Get yourself a kodiak side step. It drops down when you open the door and then fold up and tucks up out of the way under your truck when you shut the door. They sell them in individual steps or you can get the full length steps (such as the ones you see on Lincoln Navigators). They are triggered by a door switch.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by stepside trd
Get yourself a kodiak side step. It drops down when you open the door and then fold up and tucks up out of the way under your truck when you shut the door. They sell them in individual steps or you can get the full length steps (such as the ones you see on Lincoln Navigators). They are triggered by a door switch.
Would the side step from Kodiak for the Tacoma work on the 4runner? I like these steps just never see any that say they work with the 4runner.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
get some sliders and mount them at a downward angle, not sure how it would look, but just a thought. im sure someone on here has done it
Old 03-03-2009, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by stepside trd
They want $219 a piece for those steps!!!
Old 03-03-2009, 12:17 PM

They want $219 a piece for those steps!!!
Before you dismiss sliders, please tell me you have seen the thread I linked to..?
Old 03-03-2009, 12:24 PM

Go to a mettle shop and get them to make you some steps like you posted in the first post, then you can get exactly what you want
Old 03-03-2009, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by scuba
Before you dismiss sliders, please tell me you have seen the thread I linked to..?
Yeah actually read that thread yesterday, PMed Mt GOAT about the steps he made. not that i don't like sliders just looking to see what my options are for other steps. I would love to put sliders on my truck just for the sheer point of all the dumb asians in my area that just open their doors into other peoples car and don't care what damage they do.

I am not racist I am Asian (Japanese) and love my culture. I just hate that I come from a ethnic group with such bad driving skills and don't care about anyone else property except for their own. (not all asians are like this I know)
Old 03-03-2009, 03:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do they I thought they mounted to the frame, and would stay in place while the body lifted 2"?
My 4runner never had side steps. I'm not positive but I thought that they are mounted to the body only. Climb under yours and take a look.

The picture that you originaly posted looks alot like some of the FJ Cruiser sliders. You could get a standard set of sliders and add some step hoops.

Last edited by Gerdo; 03-03-2009 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Gerdo
My 4runner never had side steps. I'm not positive but I thought that they are mounted to the body only. Climb under yours and take a look.

The picture that you originaly posted looks alot like some of the FJ Cruiser sliders. You could get a standard set of sliders and add some step hoops.
yeah thats what i think I am going to have a local shop fab up for me. make my runner look different from the rest
Old 03-03-2009, 05:13 PM

I believe the individual Kodiak steps can come in a universal mount and then you can also order them for a direct fit to your specific truck. For the full length, it has to be truck specific. $219 sounds a bit high a price, you sure they did not quote you with installation, you might want to try shopping around also, I've seen them in other places for a lot less. I am not familiar with you location, but if you are located in southern cal, there are a number of off road shops that carry them and/or have their version of the same step that they can fab up for you for a lot less, especially in corona, cali. My buddy who I visit in riverside often, got lucky and found a lincoln navigator in a local pick ur parts yard for ch$$p and then just fab them to his rig. You could try that route or even e-bay, craigslist,or like I said, the local off road shops that do fab work. Good luck!
Old 03-03-2009, 06:24 PM

Yeah actually read that thread yesterday, PMed Mt GOAT about the steps he made. not that i don't like sliders just looking to see what my options are for other steps. I would love to put sliders on my truck just for the sheer point of all the dumb asians in my area that just open their doors into other peoples car and don't care what damage they do.

I am not racist I am Asian (Japanese) and love my culture. I just hate that I come from a ethnic group with such bad driving skills and don't care about anyone else property except for their own. (not all asians are like this I know)
hahah Thats funny, My mechanic is In rowland heights and I know exactly what your talking about !!

Quick Reply: 4runner side steps