Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

4Runner remote no worky

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 03:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4Runner remote no worky

well my remote has not wanted to work much for a while now. When i got it had almost no range so i changed the battery and it seemed to stay about the same but it has got worse and worse until now it won't work at all.

So i looked up how to program a remote and everything works fine except that it doesn't seem to detect my remote at all. So i am wondering if anyone else has this problem? Do these remotes just up and die?

Always having to use the key is getting old. Oh and i was also woundering what the key hole ont eh passanger side door is supposed to do? When i try to use it nothing happeneds.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you changing the remote for a new one or just reprogramming the old one? My remotes have never really had good distance compared to my other vehicles.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:42 PM

i lost the wireless entry on my 2000 runner, its not the remotes because i replaced batteries in both so it must be the module in the car, but i just deal with it, havnt been able to find the module in the car after several quick looks
Old 10-08-2007, 03:47 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by frodin1
Are you changing the remote for a new one or just reprogramming the old one? My remotes have never really had good distance compared to my other vehicles.
Just trying to reprogram the old ones before I buy some new ones. Yeah the distance when i got them was mabey 2 cars over but it got to where even outside the door it would have a hard time so i replaced the batteryies and they didn't really change much then they have both dies altogether. I can't really see them both dieing at the same time so i don't know what to do.

Originally Posted by Spence1016
i lost the wireless entry on my 2000 runner, its not the remotes because i replaced batteries in both so it must be the module in the car, but i just deal with it, havnt been able to find the module in the car after several quick looks
I don't know what the problem is, i just know that i want my remotes back, i got way to spoiled with them. lol
Old 10-08-2007, 03:56 PM

Mine sux too. One will only lock the doors and the other only works from up close. I the 1st is just broken and the reange was effected by m tint. I'm not sure but it's just a theory
Old 10-08-2007, 04:17 PM

Keyless remote

I've managed to lose a few, the dealer wanted $135 for a new one. Went to Remotesforless.com and got one for $50, followed the programming instructions and it works fine. Good luck.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:18 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by crunchfoot
I've managed to lose a few, the dealer wanted $135 for a new one. Went to Remotesforless.com and got one for $50, followed the programming instructions and it works fine. Good luck.
Yeah i have found them on ebay for $30 with shipping but i just want to see if i can get the ones i have working first. i am going ot get some more batteries and see if that is the problem if not then a new one is in order indeed
Old 10-09-2007, 06:21 PM
Contributing Member

Ok, good news! I got my remotes fixed!

Well apparently when I was working on my truck and had the battery disconnected it has made the computer get off on the remote codes (the remote use a rolling code design) and this is what caused the bad reception range. I had replaced the batteries in the remotes not long ago and that also must have helped the problem.

So after a while my truck ended up not detecting the remotes at all and they stopped working. So I decided to try reprogramming them. I tried it a few times but nothing happened. On a whim I replaced the batteries (they are CR2016 BTW) and volla! The reprogramming worked, the first set of batteries must have been bad of something.

Now I can use me remote from about 100 – 150 feet away!

Here are the programming instructions for those that want them:

To add a remote:

1. Start with key out of the ignition, driver door is open (all others closed),
and driver door is unlocked.

2. Insert key into the ignition (don’t turn it) and pull it out

3. Perform these steps within 40 seconds:
a. Using the power lock switch on the driver’s door, perform 5 lock/unlock cycles with lock.
Use an even pace and try to go about one cycle per second. 1 cycle = 1 lock and 1 unlock)
b. Close, then open driver’s door.

4. Perform these steps within 40 seconds:
a. Using the power lock switch on the driver’s door, perform 5 lock/unlock cycles starting
with lock.
Use an even pace and try to go about one cycle per second. (1 cycle = 1 lock and 1unlock)
b. Insert the key in the ignition cylinder.
c. Turn the ignition to ON (as far as you can without cranking the engine) then back to OFF

d. Remove the key from the ignition.

5. Within 3 seconds, the power door locks should cycle automatically indicating successful entry
into programming mode.
Return to step 1 if the locks do not cycle at this point.

6. Perform these steps within 40 seconds:
a. Press the lock and unlock buttons on the transmitter simultaneously for 1 second.
b. Immediately after letting go of the lock and unlock buttons, hit the lock button by itself and
hold for 2 seconds. Within 3 seconds, the door locks should cycle once indicating successful
programming.
If the door locks don’t cycle, or cycle twice, repeat steps a and b-your remote has not
been accepted.
c. Repeat steps a and b in step 6 for each new transmitter.

7. Close driver door.

To reprogram a remote (got this from the tech at Toyota that helped me, same thing except you do the key things twice):

1. Start with key out of the ignition, driver door is open (all others closed),
and driver door is unlocked.

2. Insert key into the ignition (don’t turn it) and pull it out twice

3. Perform these steps within 40 seconds:
a. Using the power lock switch on the driver’s door, perform 5 lock/unlock cycles with lock.
Use an even pace and try to go about one cycle per second. 1 cycle = 1 lock and 1 unlock)
b. Close, then open driver’s door.

4. Perform these steps within 40 seconds:
a. Using the power lock switch on the driver’s door, perform 5 lock/unlock cycles starting
with lock.
Use an even pace and try to go about one cycle per second. (1 cycle = 1 lock and 1unlock)
b. Insert the key in the ignition cylinder.
c. Turn the ignition to ON (as far as you can without cranking the engine) then back to OFF. Do this twice

d. Remove the key from the ignition.

5. Within 3 seconds, the power door locks should cycle automatically indicating successful entry
into programming mode.
Return to step 1 if the locks do not cycle at this point.

6. Perform these steps within 40 seconds:
a. Press the lock and unlock buttons on the transmitter simultaneously for 1 second.
b. Immediately after letting go of the lock and unlock buttons, hit the lock button by itself and
hold for 2 seconds. Within 3 seconds, the door locks should cycle once indicating successful
programming.
If the door locks don’t cycle, or cycle twice, repeat steps a and b-your remote has not
been accepted.
c. Repeat steps a and b in step 6 for each new transmitter.

7. Close driver door.
And here is a site that has all sorts of info on programming your remotes: http://www.programyourremote.com/

Hope that helps someone else.