Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

4Runner questions - Newbie

Old 10-19-2007, 06:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4Runner questions - Newbie

Just bought a 97 4Runner auto, 120k miles (absolute creampuff) to keep me busy tinkering. Changed all the fluids, plugs, and filters, did a ton of detail and even more cleaning on it, then someone keyed the side.....

Anyway, several questions....my fuel mileage was 20mpg on the hiway trip home, 65 avg, looks like around town mpg is gonna be in the 16-17range. Is this normal for a stock 2WD auto V6 Runner?
I was wondering if replacing both O2 sensors and cleaning the MAF wires would benefit the fuel mileage. It purrs like a kitten, can't even feel it idling, so no issues there.

Second, it feels just a tad bit squirrely on the hiway, a little loose in the steering, and a slight crosswind will push you over half a lane if your not paying attention.

Shocks, this thing rides like it has NO suspension. It has Monroe sensatracs in the rear, and if I hit a bump it feels like the back end jumps sideways 6".

Before all the "get a Camry" etc posts......I know it's a "truck" etc etc etc

Any advice or commentary would be appreciated
Thanks
Old 10-19-2007, 08:13 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
From what I've read on here your mileage is in the lower part of the range, but the biggest influence on mileage is driving style. I don't know if changing the O2 sensors would increase it enough to pay back the cost of the sensors.

As for the suspension both of my 4Runners have been a bit squirrely on the highway. Maybe get an alignment done before you go replacing the shocks.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by eric-the-red
I don't know if changing the O2 sensors would increase it enough to pay back the cost of the sensors.
Not meaning to hi-jack...how much are new O2 sensors?

Last edited by Nate08; 10-19-2007 at 08:21 AM. Reason: mis=spell
Old 10-19-2007, 08:53 AM

I know I tried monroes on the rear and they were worse than the factory shocks with 85,000 miles. You will gain a little control by switching to KYB, factory or Bilstein.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:53 AM

New 02's are about 125 online.

I would replace all 4 of your shocks with some Bilsteins--very good shocks!!
Old 10-19-2007, 10:02 AM

Most likely, your shocks are done. I would replace all four, as stated above. Also, look into replacing the steering rack bushings. Numerous members (including myself with my 98 Limited) experienced the same problem with bump steering.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:27 AM

PNUT--is there any noises that come from the steering rack bushings when they are toast?

I have a weird clunk at times when I have the wheels turned (does not need to be locked up turn) and when I take off it clunks from the fron end somewhere???
Old 10-19-2007, 10:31 AM

Yeah as said above replace those rear shocks ASAP.

As for the steering, you'll just have to replace the Steering Rack bushings, a quick do it yourself job, should tighten up that steering slop.

Also check your sway bar bushings, they might need to be replaced, IMO go with Polyurethane whenever replacing bushings.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Old 10-19-2007, 10:53 AM

Yea ditto on the monroes, that brand is garbage. We just put some sensatracs on my friends F150 last night, and the new shocks were almost as bad as the completly blown old ones.

As for the highway whoever posted above about replacing bushings is probably right. Though if your truck wanders by itself as if the alignment is out you may want to check the tie rods (lift vehicle by A arm, lock wheel, then try to pry tire back and forth). I would just do new shocks then get it aligned. Perhaps ask the alignment people if they can adjust your caster when doing the alignment, more caster will make the vehicle less squirly at highway speeds.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:09 AM

Have the alignment check. Check the sway bar end links to make sure they are in good shape. If that is all good I'd look at better shocks. Mine moves in the wind but I removed the sway bars to get better articulation. Mine is my off road toy and rarely do I use it around town on a reg. basis. Check your tire pressures too - if it is too high you may be squirley (is it spelled like Shirley?). If all checks good then it just means you have to learn to live with it - high centered vehicles don't handle like a car.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:03 PM

HOLY COW.......9 replys in real short order!

THANKS guys!

As far as the steering rack bushings, you folks would go with urethane vs new Toyota or aftermarket direct replacement bushings?

On the shocks, from what I have read, it seems that the Bilstien HD will be a little too harsh for my tastes, and since this is an "on road" only vehicle, I am leaning toward the KYB or Tokico (any thoughts on these). I know shock preference is real subjective, what you think is harsh may not be to someone else and everyone has their faves, and there are a TON of shock threads out there, I read them and I still left scratching my head....LOL!

The truck steers pretty straight, just a little play in the steering, which is where I think the squirrelyness is coming from, but a front end alignment is definately on the menu.

My current tank of fuel is after all of the fluid changes, plugs, filters etc,
BG 44k, 35psi in the tires, so I'll have a better idea on the fuel mileage issue on this tank.
The prior 2 tanks were before anything was done.
Thanks again for all the help and hospitality!
Old 10-20-2007, 05:29 AM

I don't know about steering rack bushings. Urethane can transmit harshness - thats why the factory puts rubber in the first place. I like a firm ride/steering so I'd go urethane but that a personal choice. Definately get your alignment done as well as getting the tires balanced. Toyotas have hub centric not lug centric wheels so make sure whoever balances your tires has the right adapters.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:44 AM
Contributing Member

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/4runnerrackbushkit.htm

I got this set last month and the sterrign feel was such an improvement and the harshness isn't noticeable since a Runner isn't the softest ride in the first place.

I also have the sway bar kit too.

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/4runswaykit.htm
Old 10-21-2007, 05:57 PM

Is there a paticular model KYB shock to use?

Thanks
Old 10-22-2007, 08:51 AM

I'd get the Urethane kit from the link above. Will last much longer than rubber. This is also on my "to do" list.

EDIT: Just put in an order for the wheelersoffroad site (for sway bar and steering rack). I ordered some Energy Suspension sway bar bushings last time and they did not fit at all.

Last edited by cackalak han; 10-22-2007 at 10:23 AM.