Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

4runner lifts tire size and back spacing

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4runner lifts tire size and back spacing

I have a 1998 4runner and I am looking at different lift options around 3". For running 285/75R16' s without any rub problems what have people been using for rims?
Old 03-29-2006, 09:51 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Feel free to use the flashing search function. There is more than enough qualilty information on the board to answer your question.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:10 AM
Contributing Member

ive been using this, but others also said this works equally as well. you may also have a look at these

let us know what youve decided on!

Old 03-29-2006, 10:30 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by d0ubledown
ive been using this, but others also said this works equally as well. you may also have a look at these

let us know what youve decided on!

Those work great, in my opinion....
Old 03-29-2006, 11:43 AM
Contributing Member

it is stupid to spend that much time complaining about the use of the search function, in the same amount of time you could have just givin him some information. 285/75/16 is almost 33'' tall but it is much wider than stock so you will either need to run a spacer or a more offset wheel to clear the upper control arm. and a simple 3" spring spacer will clear the height of the tire.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:46 AM
Banned

16x8 with 4.25" or 4.5" backspacing will work well.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by garrett1478
16x8 with 4.25" or 4.5" backspacing will work well.
ok this is what you need. Dont listen to Garrett.

you need a 15" rim that it at least 10" wide.

you also need a backspacking of around 3.

and to fid 33s, you need to lift your truck up 5 inches and do a SAS.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:52 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by TX-BLKRUNNER
it is stupid to spend that much time complaining about the use of the search function, in the same amount of time you could have just givin him some information.

Think of it as proactive enforcement. Tell 10 people to search and maybe the next time only 5 will come back with a question we've already seen. Answer the same 10 people with the same answers we've already seen and the next time all 10 will ask another question we've already seen.

It's not rude to tell someone to search. It's just politely telling someone to learn to help themself.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:54 AM
Contributing Member

The problem is, everytime someone asks a question that has already been answered many times over, and then it is answered, without the person having searched, then that post gets added to the already multiplicitiousness of posts that come up. So, by encouraging the use of the search function, it actually makes the search function much more valuable and effective. At least that's how I view it.

Oh, by the way.... 3" "simple" spring spacer? Is that above coil, or in coil? Aluminum or PU? Is it really 3" or is it only 1.5", and depends on the preload of the spring to give lift? And does the spacer REALLY give 3" of lift? .....Not so "simple", really.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:17 PM
Contributing Member

ok, so suggest the use of the search function, but don't beat him over the head with it, geez he is new just like me and by being rude and un-helpful intimidates new members from posting new threads or even returning to the site. thats just my opinion. revtek and toyteclifts.com both make a 3" spacer kit for about $300, the revtek is polyurethane and the toytec is aluminum, both will give you aprox 3" depending on spring rate and age of the coils and what not, but it will let clear the 285's
Old 03-29-2006, 12:19 PM
Banned

ok, so suggest the use of the search function, but don't beat him over the head with it, geez he is new just like me and by being rude and un-helpful intimidates new members from posting new threads or even returning to the site. thats just my opinion. revtek and toyteclifts.com both make a 3" spacer kit for about $300, the revtek is polyurethane and the toytec is aluminum, both will give you aprox 3" depending on spring rate and age of the coils and what not, but it will let clear the 285's
not competely true

he needs new wheels to clear the 285s or shaved a-arms.

He might also need a body lift.

THIS CAN ALL BE FOUND IN THE NEWBIE SECTION
Old 03-29-2006, 12:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Localmotion

Old 03-29-2006, 12:32 PM
Contributing Member

I think that the search function WAS suggested in a non-threatening way... Have you been to Pirate or even TTORA? I was just amused at how doubledown suggested it. It was original. ALSO, my point about the spacer thing was, you wrote "simple spring spacer". It's not that "simple" when you really get into it. If kwj is willing to do some homework, like most of the rest of us have, he will learn all he needs to know. These topics have been gone over and gone over, and the builders of this site didn't include a complex search function so that the board could be filled with hundreds of threads all dealing with the same issue. I apologize if I come off sounding like I have a superiority complex, I don't mean to, but there's so much info that will never be taken advantage of if people don't search and read!

Last edited by Tacoclimber; 03-29-2006 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by garrett1478
yea, sorry for the spelling error. fid=fit
Old 03-29-2006, 01:05 PM
Contributing Member

it is stupid to spend that much time complaining about the use of the search function, in the same amount of time you could have just givin him some information.

who was complaining? actually, for me to give all the info that i know (from SEARCHING) would have taken much longer. it was a very vague question as well. most users even give you info of what theyve got on their ride without even asking (in sigs).

yes i understand the no0bness of it all we were all there once. but you dont come into a new school asking people to do your homework for you do you? i gave him something better than information. i gave him the ability to access all the information that is already there. try this on ttora or pirate as mentioned, or anywhere thats not moderated like here and youll get your head torn off and fed to you up your . btw, 1st post should almost always be a 'hello, my name is..(who?) my name is..(what?) etc etc. anyway...

285/75/16 is almost 33'' tall but it is much wider than stock so you will either need to run a spacer or a more offset wheel to clear the upper control arm. and a simple 3" spring spacer will clear the height of the tire
really? ive run a 285, with neither spacer or more offset wheel...

Originally Posted by garret1478

haha

if you want to know what ive got on my rig, its all down there VVVV.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:27 PM
Contributing Member

I agree with TX BLKRUNNER 100% I posted a similar question in the NEWBIE I repeat NEWBIE section and I got lit up. I understand exactly how to use the search function on a message forum as I am a very active CONTRUBUTING member of several other forums. However, the information I was looking for I could not find. I posted it in the Newbbie section for a reason I am a NEWBIE to IFS. I have had solid axle Toyotas all of my life and have answered the same questions on other forums many many times without ever telling someone to search. I actually know a good bit about the pre 85 years and I just recently purchased my first IFS and was looking for a little help but I didn't find anything here but a hard time. It is really a shame when just a select few who obviously have no life and post 16 million times a day begin to think they own the forum and scare off any newcomers. I hope I never be like that as I said I have been a member of another forum for 7 years now with just a little over 3000 posts but I still know everyone doesn't have the knowledge I have about a paticular subject so I choose to help. Just remember Toyota brains you wasn't born with the knowledege you have somebody, somewhere shared it with you maybe you should consider repaying the favor. Not trying to start trouble just giving my .02!
Old 03-29-2006, 01:39 PM
Contributing Member

hlpressley,

I agree with you - there shouldn't be any "SEARCH" type of posts in the newbie section. People haven't gotten that part clear in their heads.

On the same token I think some of the older members are just having fun with one another finding original ways to say search. New members shouldn't take it the wrong way at all. Problem with the internet is that you don't catch the nonverbal aspect of communication: intonation, body language, etc.

I assure you - 99% of the SEARCH posts are in good humor.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:42 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by hlpressley
I agree with TX BLKRUNNER 100% I posted a similar question in the NEWBIE I repeat NEWBIE section and I got lit up. I understand exactly how to use the search function on a message forum as I am a very active CONTRUBUTING member of several other forums. However, the information I was looking for I could not find. I posted it in the Newbbie section for a reason I am a NEWBIE to IFS. I have had solid axle Toyotas all of my life and have answered the same questions on other forums many many times without ever telling someone to search. I actually know a good bit about the pre 85 years and I just recently purchased my first IFS and was looking for a little help but I didn't find anything here but a hard time. It is really a shame when just a select few who obviously have no life and post 16 million times a day begin to think they own the forum and scare off any newcomers. I hope I never be like that as I said I have been a member of another forum for 7 years now with just a little over 3000 posts but I still know everyone doesn't have the knowledge I have about a paticular subject so I choose to help. Just remember Toyota brains you wasn't born with the knowledege you have somebody, somewhere shared it with you maybe you should consider repaying the favor. Not trying to start trouble just giving my .02!
Well, I can't account for what happened in the Newbie section, but let me explain why I choose to encourage new members to search. In the case of this thread, someone who had yet to introduce himself fires of a question that could have been answered if he had chosen to search and read. In fact, he would have gained much more information than I could have given him. But instead of taking the time and effort, just simply fired of his question. I'm not making any character judgments about him, I'm just pointing out that had he searched, he would have walked away with much more knowledge. You're right, we weren't born with innate knowledge of all things Toyota, but I have learned infinately more by searching and reading the information on this site than by any other means. I am growing tired of people who are new to this forum asking questions that have been answered a hundred times, without putting the work in themselves, and then complaining about being flamed when they are encouraged to search and read for themselves. And as far as flaming goes, it is virtually non-existent here thanks to our dedicated staff of mods. People should feel free to ask questions, once they have searched and tried to find answer in previous posts. Adding one more thread about a topic that has been covered many times only bogs down the search function. And that, class, is why I encourage others to search. Thank you.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:45 PM
Banned

Old 03-29-2006, 01:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tacoclimber
Well, I can't account for what happened in the Newbie section, but let me explain why I choose to encourage new members to search. In the case of this thread, someone who had yet to introduce himself fires of a question that could have been answered if he had chosen to search and read. In fact, he would have gained much more information than I could have given him. But instead of taking the time and effort, just simply fired of his question. I'm not making any character judgments about him, I'm just pointing out that had he searched, he would have walked away with much more knowledge. You're right, we weren't born with innate knowledge of all things Toyota, but I have learned infinately more by searching and reading the information on this site than by any other means. I am growing tired of people who are new to this forum asking questions that have been answered a hundred times, without putting the work in themselves, and then complaining about being flamed when they are encouraged to search and read for themselves. And as far as flaming goes, it is virtually non-existent here thanks to our dedicated staff of mods. People should feel free to ask questions, once they have searched and tried to find answer in previous posts. Adding one more thread about a topic that has been covered many times only bogs down the search function. And that, class, is why I encourage others to search. Thank you.
you get an A++ and 3 gold stars!!!

maybe a is better?

Quick Reply: 4runner lifts tire size and back spacing