Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

4runner + Fire= Electrical disaster (long post)

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4runner + Fire= Electrical disaster (long post)

So I've been reluctant to post about the fire that erupted in my engine compartment about 6 months ago. The mechanic that I had taken it too (who coincidentally is my uncle) didnt tie down the battery correctly and it fell off of the battery stand and onto my fan shroud. A fire erupted in my engine compartment and with use of a fire extinguisher, it was put out within 5 minutes. But those five minutes were more than enough time to caause some damage. After i put the fire out, my car was still trying to crank itself...so i removed the fuses in the engine compartment, ALL of them. Finally it stopped cranking itself and i proceeded to replacing all of the fuses.. then I found something odd, if I replaced one of the fuses (the excact placement of it escapes me right now) it would try to turn itself over. So I didnt replace that fuse, tried cranking her up and vroom... no problem. UP until recently there has been no problemt with my electrical system but a week ago, My car wouldnt crank... i thought the starter was bad because I basically heard nothing but the machine gun sound. So i thought to myself, what if I replace that long lost fuse, you know, jus to test it out. And sure enough... she treid cranking herself and if I turned the ignition all the way over, she would fire up correctly. Now its becoming more of a habit to hafta put this fuse back... just to start her up. But it seems that since i started cranking her this way, my headliughts dim when the bass hits, the winshield wipers go slower when the fan is on, and if (god forbid) i hafta roll a window down... everything seems to almost shut itself off. Sounds like an alternator problem to me, because so long as i am at a lil higher RPMs the electrical system works ok. So the real problem is... if i replace the fuse the rig starts trying to crank itself, but if i dont put it in my car wont crank. Is my whole electrical system going to crap because of this lil fuse? or has my constant strain on the alternator caused all of these things to happen. At least a lil of both Im sure, but I just need some help, i know Im going to hafta clarify some things, so please just ask me to, Ill post the exact fuse whithin the next 45 minutes, Im just a lil preoccupied.. thank you.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:14 PM
Contributing Member

do you have the electrical wiring diagram to know WHAT fuses you are messing with ?

engine fires are bad, i need to get an extinguisher for my truck ASAP
Old 07-06-2005, 08:42 PM
Contributing Member

where are you located? I can usually fix most any electrical problem
Old 07-06-2005, 11:09 PM

I can make a guess here that the alt alos took a hit when the battery shorted, an engine bay fire no matter how small or quickly put out always causes more damage then what the eye can see a first. Really do need to know what fuse you are now using as a switch (not good), if there is no visable damage to the wiring harness then the device at the other end of that fuse is not functioning correctly and needs to be looked at. You might also want to check the relays to make sure none of them are damaged.......
Old 07-07-2005, 07:47 AM

Im located in GA
Old 07-07-2005, 08:56 AM

The fuse is the Alt-s (o boy) fuse... its the third one from the top in the left row of my 1996 SR5 fusebox
Old 07-07-2005, 01:30 PM

N e ideas? ::
Old 07-07-2005, 01:47 PM

It sounds like you've burnt/melted the wiring terminal behind what you can see of the fuse box.
I'd suggest removing it, flipping it over and seeing what you can find.
Good luck.