Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

4Runner 'crab-walks' after lift.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 08:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4Runner 'crab-walks' after lift.

I was following my girlfriend driving the runner down the highway awhile back, and I noticed the rear axle is about an inch or so over to the passenger side compared to the front. The truck drives in a straight line, it just doesn't track straight.

Would a goofy angled panhard bar cause this from the lift?

Or is it something more serious such as a bent frame or bent IFS?
Old 10-12-2004, 08:17 PM

I would suspect the panhard rod, check out steve's page for info on what is going on.

http://fastq.com/~sschaefer/panhard.gif

http://fastq.com/~sschaefer/store.html#Panhard
Old 10-12-2004, 08:30 PM

Yes, it's you panhard bar. If you tell me how high you lifted it, I'll make you a lift bracket that will fix it for $40+ shipping. This is a good deal versus the $150 options......mine is also stronger. I can send pics to an email addy if you give me one.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:34 PM
Contributing Member

It's a 1.5"-2" OME lift.
Pics can be sent to NOSPAMscofco@hotmail.com. Disregard the NOSPAM part.

I'll take some measurements in the morning of how far off the panhard rod is exactly.
Running some searches, it seemed there isn't much as far as panhard drop brackets go for 2nd gens.

What the heck did everyone do for theirs? Surely not everyone bought the Downey kit, or tracked down a ProComp one.

Last edited by Scofco; 10-12-2004 at 08:46 PM.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:30 AM
Contributing Member

Tip: cut off one eye of the panhard bar, weld a large bolt (full thread) on the eye. Weld a large nut on the end of the pipe, or tap new thread into the pipe, insert the bolt (use a locking nut) and voila: an adjustable panhard bar. Ready to go in a few minutes.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Scofco
It's a 1.5"-2" OME lift.
What the heck did everyone do for theirs? Surely not everyone bought the Downey kit, or tracked down a ProComp one.
What everybody did was they didn't care about a 2" lift. Do the calculations and you'll probably find the lift didn't move your axle over that far. Most likely it was like that from the factory. Once you go over 2" lift, then it becomes necessary. Also, remember the springs will settle a little over time.

Dan, can you send me pics of your panhard bracket? stuff250@hotmail.com
Old 10-13-2004, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by 4runner4ever
Tip: cut off one eye of the panhard bar, weld a large bolt (full thread) on the eye. Weld a large nut on the end of the pipe, or tap new thread into the pipe, insert the bolt (use a locking nut) and voila: an adjustable panhard bar. Ready to go in a few minutes.
OK, this is a good quick fix. An awesome fix for a street truck.....one use for very mild wheeling......or a mud truck. However, if you were able to mock this up somehow......I did it on paper, you'll see that when the driver side rear is at full stuff, it could cause issue with the fender. What it does by simply extending the panhard bar is yes, pushes the axle over at normal ride height, but when compressed, pushes it over even farther.

Now you're probably thinking, well a drop/lift bracket does the same thing. Yes, that's how a panhard works because it's a lever, but you have to look at the angle that the panhard is at during normal right height. The steeper the angle the more it will push when compressed.

I wish I had the computer skills to make a working diagram. I hope that my explaination makes sense.

Let me try to explain. Say the panhard bar is 30". with a lift or drop bracket the panhard bar sits say 4" lower on the axle side. When pushed up to level, it will push the axle over X" lets say that's 2".

Now if you extend the panhard bar, you increase the angle. So now lets say the lower end sits 8" down on the axle end. The panhard bar is also now 34". Then when the panhard bar comes up to level it pushes the axle over Y" lets say that's 4" now.

Yes, these are just BS numbers because without have the two setups side by side I can't have exact numbers, but I hope you can see what that will do in a 4Runner with a large suspension lift 3" or more. Honestly, I wouldn't recommend that method for anyone over a 1"-1.5" lift.

Robinhood: I'm going to just try to post the pictures to my yahoo photos or briefcase so everyone can see. I can also make these just like the All-Pro lift brackets if someone wanted. Again, $40+ shipping versus All-Pros $140. You'll see the difference between the 2 brackets as soon as I post the pictures.
Old 10-13-2004, 12:00 PM

Alright, I'm going to post the link to my yahoo briefcase. Anyone interested in a bracket can message me here on YotaTech. The cost is $40 plus shipping. You will see in the pictures that my bracket is enclosed. I can also make brackets like the one offered by All-Pro. It will cost the same for that type of bracket. All brackets can be custom made to the amount of lift you have put on your 4Runner.....you tell me the lift height, I make the bracket the same size.

I know that the brackets from All-Pro cost about $149 plus shipping. I can't see anyone paying that much for something that can be gotten for a 3rd of that.

http://f2.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/...ase.yahoo.com/

Here is the All-Pro lift bracket that I can duplicate......again, $40 plus shipping versus $140 plus shipping.

http://www.allprooffroad.com/images/..._bracket_l.jpg
Old 10-13-2004, 12:16 PM
Contributing Member

dan, so is yours a 5" panhard lift bracket like allpro's? If so then i'll definetely buy one.
Old 10-13-2004, 12:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What keeps this bracket from moving laterally? Wouldn't a weld on version like Steve's work better? Obviously this is not for me, just curious.
Old 10-13-2004, 12:22 PM

I'm considering making the control arms also. Both upper and lower would be adjustable. All would use the same type joints as the lower ones that All-Pro offers (Johnny Joints as they call them). If I do sell them, the cost would be $175 a pair......maybe less.

Just another thought that I'd throw out there. I'd rather be like Roger Brown and offer a product of as good or better quality for less.
Old 10-13-2004, 12:28 PM
Contributing Member

Dan, if you do i would definetely be intrested in them as well. Im glad that you mentioned this now because i was about to call and order allpro's panhard bracket. So like birdman said, how do you keep it from moving laterally? Thats the problem with my superlift bracket since the support piece broke.
Old 10-13-2004, 12:32 PM

The bracket has a lip to help lateral movement. I do recommend welding it to the axle though. There is no real way to take all of the play out of the bracket without welding.

Yotafool: When I designed and made the price, it was intended more for a Cruiser coil lift (3" or less) and the price reflected that. However, I'll make one up tp 6" over stock for say $50 plus shipping. Please make sure that you measure the amount of lift on your 4Runner before asking me to make one. I'd hate to make one for someone and have the bracket over compensate for the lift.

Anyone interested can message me on here and we can make arrangements for payment.
Old 10-13-2004, 12:37 PM
Contributing Member

well i'm going to need one for land cruiser OME860's which i think are about 5.5" of rear lift for a 4Runner. I can deal with a little overkill for now because it wont be too long until i get my springs and if you decide to make some arms. or i can just deal with my POS superlift lowering bracket until i get everything together. $50 sounds great. and yes i agree and i will weld the bracket to my axle.

Last edited by yotafool; 10-13-2004 at 12:39 PM.
Old 10-13-2004, 12:41 PM
Contributing Member

maybe we should make another thread?
Old 10-13-2004, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by yotafool
maybe we should make another thread?
I was thinking just that.....I'll get on that here in a little while. I think with my brackets and rear link.....Roger Browns body lifts.....and the ball joint spacers, forgive me because I can't remember who on here makes them.....we pretty much have the aftermarket covered.

I'd even tackle a generic superlift front kit if I knew someone close that had one so I could get my hands on it for pictures and measurements.
Old 10-13-2004, 12:57 PM
Contributing Member

I might be able to help you out with the front superlift measurements and pictures. Its a good front lift in my opinion but a ˟˟˟˟ty rear lift. I like having the extra crossmember and they are pretty beefy too.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:49 PM

Well, if you can get me some good pictures and some measurements, I'd look into that.

The new thread has been posted and again anyone interested feel free to message me via YotaTech.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:55 PM
Contributing Member

Dan:
you'r exactly right.
It does push the axle outwards when fully compressed.
I have been driving this for 3-4 years now, with two lockers etc. etc. etc. No rubbing or anything. It just depends on how far you extend your panhard bar. If the lift is too high it will not work.
I was gone make a bracket also but I was hoping to find a stronger axle and do all that stuff in one go.
It took a long time to find but I just bought a LC 80 rear axle with E locker and links which will gone be mounted under my 4R in a short time. As soon as I shorten the left axle stub so the diff is centered.
All links are about 4 inches longer so my whole setup has to be recalculated anyhow plus I need to make new brackets and even a new tank.

I have Autocad BTW and I can make a drawing tonight when the wife is back with the 4R and post it here. (no dimensions at hand) Anyone have the OEM lenght and angle of the panhard bar?
Old 10-14-2004, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by 4runner4ever
Dan:
you'r exactly right.
It does push the axle outwards when fully compressed.
I have been driving this for 3-4 years now, with two lockers etc. etc. etc. No rubbing or anything. It just depends on how far you extend your panhard bar. If the lift is too high it will not work.
I was gone make a bracket also but I was hoping to find a stronger axle and do all that stuff in one go.
It took a long time to find but I just bought a LC 80 rear axle with E locker and links which will gone be mounted under my 4R in a short time. As soon as I shorten the left axle stub so the diff is centered.
All links are about 4 inches longer so my whole setup has to be recalculated anyhow plus I need to make new brackets and even a new tank.

I have Autocad BTW and I can make a drawing tonight when the wife is back with the 4R and post it here. (no dimensions at hand) Anyone have the OEM lenght and angle of the panhard bar?
Yeah, the lengthened sway bar is a great idea, but for smaller lifts. I wouldn't use that idea on anything over a 3" lift. All the Superlift guys definately either need a lower and lift bracket or one large lower or one large lift bracket.

Keep us posted on the new axle.