Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

4Runner broken into.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 04:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4Runner broken into.

Well, im set back even more for the S/C rebuild and fuel mods....

on friday night i stayed the night at a friends house cause we were boozin. And in the 4 hours i slept my truck got broken into . Go to leave my buddies open the door and notice my radio is have torn apart (my deck is the clarion max2256, hard mounted with out a detachable face).... and my sirius reciever stolen... The weird thing is they left the playstation 2, 12 disc cd changer, trd clutch, and 2x 15 fosgate hx2's in the rest of the truck.

To fill in the blank, no windows were broken.. I fell asleep with my keys in my pocket so i must have rolled over and hit the alarm button in my sleep.

Im grateful and very pissed at the same time... I feel so violated.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:33 AM

Sucks, Steve

Mine was broken into last last summer. Back passenger window smashed and my 2 12" where gone. and some other things. They didnt bother with my HU or the amp which can not be found with out some digging.

Last edited by X2and4X; 02-26-2007 at 05:13 AM.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:39 AM

sounds like guys were victims of hit and runs.. they dont want to spend the time and go through your truck. they see what they like go in and grap it and run.. sounds like you may need a theft system perhaps? i know they arent worth a damn but if the horn goes off alteast you may get a chance to stop the theft or someone look that way and maybe help the police out. i have been fortunate with my tacoma. now my wrangler is a different story esp with a soft top. easy pickins'... my cd player if removed wont play at all without the security cd. so atleast they wont be able to use it
Old 02-26-2007, 04:42 AM

oh whats funny is when my wrangler got broken into the guy left a huge hand print on the plastic back window and the cop said it wasnt "protocal" to take prints... needless to say i was pissed.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:13 AM

There is an alarm on it, i just made the mistake of passing out with my keys in my pocket, most likely hit the button while rolling over in my sleep. His front window where i passed out on his couch, is literally 30ft away from the street where i parked. When i called the cops i had to wait for an officer to call me back, and they didnt even come out to check for prints. I can understand why though, We had an officer shot and killed almost a week ago in the same city i was in at the time. I got home and took pictures of it, not that itll matter for insurance people but still. Im just glad the only thing that took damages was the cd player and the wiring for the sirius. the dash is in one piece and the windows are all intact.

Another thing is, my deck retails for $1200, and the sirius reciver and car kit was $200. and well, my deductable is $1000. So i will see what my insurance has to say and even see if its worth it to make a claim.

Im going to be upgrading my alarm to the viper alarm with the digital remote. and have the alarm hooked up to my horn(the one that has the random honks, not the same one) and have a siren in the front and rear of the Runner.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Stevo3
There is an alarm on it, i just made the mistake of passing out with my keys in my pocket, most likely hit the button while rolling over in my sleep. His front window where i passed out on his couch, is literally 30ft away from the street where i parked. When i called the cops i had to wait for an officer to call me back, and they didnt even come out to check for prints. I can understand why though, We had an officer shot and killed almost a week ago in the same city i was in at the time. I got home and took pictures of it, not that itll matter for insurance people but still. Im just glad the only thing that took damages was the cd player and the wiring for the sirius. the dash is in one piece and the windows are all intact.

Another thing is, my deck retails for $1200, and the sirius reciver and car kit was $200. and well, my deductable is $1000. So i will see what my insurance has to say and even see if its worth it to make a claim.

Im going to be upgrading my alarm to the viper alarm with the digital remote. and have the alarm hooked up to my horn(the one that has the random honks, not the same one) and have a siren in the front and rear of the Runner.

chances are they wont cover non factory items.. i have progressive and they wont cover it and was told most companies wont.. you might be S.O.L
Old 02-26-2007, 06:22 AM

Good luck on the insurance.

but let me ask you how is a new alarm going to help you if you just pass out again and disarm it.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:22 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Steve, I recommend the Clifford 12.5X alarm.
It is newer than my 10.5x I had installed last July.
http://www.clifford.com/Products/Pro...?ProductID=705

Built in pager that works upto about a mile away.

I also have the backup alarm which has a built in battery that will go off if a crook cuts your main battery cables.

I sleep with the remote next to my head at night, and it is loud enough to wake me up if it would start to beep from a break in.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Corey
Steve, I recommend the Clifford 12.5X alarm.
It is newer than my 10.5x I had installed last July.
http://www.clifford.com/Products/Pro...?ProductID=705

Built in pager that works upto about a mile away.

I also have the backup alarm which has a built in battery that will go off if a crook cuts your main battery cables.

I sleep with the remote next to my head at night, and it is loud enough to wake me up if it would start to beep from a break in.

I would also recomend Clifford. It has worked vary well for my MR2. and it doesnt go off unless something is really going on.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by mkgarrison5
chances are they wont cover non factory items.. i have progressive and they wont cover it and was told most companies wont.. you might be S.O.L
With Farmers insurance, they will cover a stereo as long as it is in the factory posision w/o moding it to fit. But for the sirius, ill most likely be SoL on that.

Corey, ill keep that in mind just for the fact you said itll cover up to a mile. Thanks.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:43 AM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Realy sucks, but another reason I dont have anything really visable and use an old junk deck..
Old 02-26-2007, 06:45 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Steve, best to check with the shop that installs these, or write Clifford (DEI, which also makes the Vipor) and confirm that.

I have heard it can work upto a mile.
I am never that far from my rig though, unless it is parked at home and I am with someone else.

But it is the most hi-tech alarm I have ever had, and I am 100% satisfied with it.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:53 AM

Hey, Steve doesn?t your 4Runner relock its self back if you don?t open any doors in the case you mistakenly unlock it. Maybe the alarm shouldn?t have gone back active but I would have thought the truck would have locked its self back.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:10 AM

X2and4X, That function was shut off by the previous owner. And he told me this and explained why. Was out camping tossed the keys in the truck shut the door and bam. doors locked. Its a valey or what ever funtion for that case.

Im extremly paranoid about locking my doors on my truck i lock it when i exit the truck, then think in the back of my head when im at my front door or where ever im going, hit the button again, and unlock it, then relock it. lol piss's my neibors off when they hear my truck lock and unlock 2-3 times. but better safe than sorry. Its also an older alarm, the keyless entry only has one button to disarm and arm. The button sticks real bad and triggers the alarm sometimes, so its due for a new alarm anyways.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Stevo3
X2and4X, That function was shut off by the previous owner. And he told me this and explained why. Was out camping tossed the keys in the truck shut the door and bam. doors locked. Its a valey or what ever funtion for that case.

Im extremly paranoid about locking my doors on my truck i lock it when i exit the truck, then think in the back of my head when im at my front door or where ever im going, hit the button again, and unlock it, then relock it. lol piss's my neibors off when they hear my truck lock and unlock 2-3 times. but better safe than sorry. Its also an older alarm, the keyless entry only has one button to disarm and arm. The button sticks real bad and triggers the alarm sometimes, so its due for a new alarm anyways.

Previous owner sounds like a tool. I have the same problem as you. I lock my truck like 2-3 times when i leave it. but that option has helped calm my nerves.
Now on my MR2 if i try to do that locking and unlocking alot it will send the car in to panic mode. but its ping is loud enough that i trust it.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:38 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

One nice thing about the alarm I have and the one I posted here is the remote is two way.

When the rig locks itself automaticaly, your two way remote beeps you with one beep.

It will beep twice for a disarm.
You can also put the two way remote in vibrator mode, so if in a movie theater you will feel it vibrate.

You can also activate it so it beeps and vibrates together.
Very cool alarm indeed.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Corey
One nice thing about the alarm I have and the one I posted here is the remote is two way.

When the rig locks itself automaticaly, your two way remote beeps you with one beep.

It will beep twice for a disarm.
You can also put the two way remote in vibrator mode, so if in a movie theater you will feel it vibrate.

You can also activate it so it beeps and vibrates together.
Very cool alarm indeed.
my clifford is older then yours i guess.
Yeah I wish my remote start on the 4runner remote was two way.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:32 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ric
look at it this way, you had 2 choices:

1) you was at a friends house drinking, you was smart enough to stay the night, your rig got broke into....

2) you was at a friends house drinking, you decide your ok to drive, you kill someone or yourself....

you made the right choice, the small stuff can be replaced, a human life cant...
you made a good choice Id glady give up/lose my stereo, etc. to save a life.

big props to you, for crashing at your buddies, and not driving drunk..
sorry about the stereo

Ditto on Ric's comments......AZ also has mandatory jail time for even a first offense DUI so you made a very good move on your part . Keep in mind that even though it sucks, it's just stuff and you can always get more of that. I've had my car stereo stolen more times than I have fingers and it feels like someone punched you in the stomach every time it happens. I also had 4 jetskis stolen back in Phoenix too so I know how crappy those theives can be down there in AZ. You'd think you get used to it, but you just don't. Now I don't even bother putting big bucks in a car stereo because I couldn't hear it over my kid screaming in the back seat anyways and if they tried to steal the car with him in it, I'm sure it would be returned promptly . Hang in there and just be thankful for what you do have, not what you don't.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 02-26-2007 at 09:22 AM.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:56 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ric
look at it this way, you had 2 choices:

1) you was at a friends house drinking, you was smart enough to stay the night, your rig got broke into....

2) you was at a friends house drinking, you decide your ok to drive, you kill someone or yourself....

you made the right choice, the small stuff can be replaced, a human life cant...
you made a good choice Id glady give up/lose my stereo, etc. to save a life.

big props to you, for crashing at your buddies, and not driving drunk..
sorry about the stereo
How did this go from his 4Runner getting broken into and his stereo getting stolen to saving someone's life by not driving home?
Old 02-26-2007, 09:30 AM

if you are in an area with a lot of thefts try using a game camera thats bear locked to a tree.. a lil pricey but you may get some pics of the people who steal things. just an idea....

Quick Reply: 4Runner broken into.