Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

4 wheel drive

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 wheel drive

Hey everyone I have a 96 limited 4 runner. Last night it was raining and i was stopped at a red light so i figured id pop it in 4 wheel drive. I put it in neutral then pressed the button and put it in drive and went then i pulled into my neighborhood i went around a codisac and the car wouldnt move i tried taking it out of 4 wheel drive and when i released the button it did not dis engage so i put it in reverse and got the car straightened out and then countinued to try to release 4 wheel drive i finally got it out but after it released and i heard it it still felt like it was in 4 wheel drive. Does ne one know whats wrong
Old 08-06-2006, 08:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by northernroot
Hey everyone I have a 96 limited 4 runner. Last night it was raining and i was stopped at a red light so i figured id pop it in 4 wheel drive. I put it in neutral then pressed the button and put it in drive and went then i pulled into my neighborhood i went around a codisac and the car wouldnt move i tried taking it out of 4 wheel drive and when i released the button it did not dis engage so i put it in reverse and got the car straightened out and then countinued to try to release 4 wheel drive i finally got it out but after it released and i heard it it still felt like it was in 4 wheel drive. Does ne one know whats wrong
you should use 4wd on pavement. Some vehicles are outfitted so that they can be used all time. I dont think our 4 runners can do that. Just engage it and disengage it, that should do the trick.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:41 AM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
i think localmotion meant to say you SHOULDNT use 4wd on pavement. its not going to be an immediate end to your drivetrain if you use it on pavement, but without a center differential, you are putting a lot of stress on your drivetrain as it is much harder for the tires to slip on the pavement. when you take a turn, all 4 wheels have their own, unique path. this is why we have differentials in front and back. a center differential would allow the front wheels to travel a different speed than the rear. since we don't have this, our 4wd is designed to be used mainly in low traction situations such as dirt, gravel, mud etc where the the wheels can slip and free up that tension on the drivetrain. if it doesnt come out right away you just probably need to rock it back and forth a little like you would with a diff. locker.