Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

4-Runner/Truck Frame Swap?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 07:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4-Runner/Truck Frame Swap?

I am hoping to utilize a 1988 Truck frame to refurbish for my 1987 4-runner. That way I can build it nicely while I continue to enjoy my runner. Are the frames/mounts/wheelbase the same? Thanks!
Old 09-09-2005, 07:57 AM
Banned

nopee, they are similar but slightly different... enough to make a cab swap not bolt right up... sure it is possible, if you can cut and reweld, but better of finding another frame... as a cab swap is illegal pretty much everywhere
Old 09-09-2005, 08:08 AM

I can cut and reweld mounts, not a problem. I wonder if there are maybe 4-mounts that line up so I could bolt the runner tub up and then put the mounts (that are mismatched) on the body for alignment and then weld them to the frame. As far as legality, there is NO ONE in Southern Indiana that would care or know. No one here checks our vehicles prior to registration-no inspections unless it is an out-of-state title then they check the VIN on the dash with the VIN on the title. That is it. So the real question is how hard to align the mounts. BTW, finding a runner frame around here (Domestic Territory-not a Furrun car dealership in the entire county) would be next to impossible.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:46 AM
Banned

its a federal offense to switch the VIN, so.. jsut an fyi, if it ever gets found out for anything, thats some nasty reprocussion.....

i think the front radiator and front cab mounts are the same, as their sheetmetal is the same..... might just need a way to mock up the rear
Old 09-09-2005, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by jimabena74
its a federal offense to switch the VIN, so.. jsut an fyi, if it ever gets found out for anything, thats some nasty reprocussion.....
all you need to get around this is to hold onto the paper work, and bill of sale from the donar vehicle.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:10 AM

There is no switching of VIN. The VIN is right where it had always been, on the dash of the 4-Runner. I do not believe that Yotas' even have a VIN on the frame. Maybe, I do not really know. I do know that switching a frame is not illegal, though, it is a replaceable mechanical component. People sell new frames for many vehicles and swap their body on to them. Tri-Five Chevy's come to mind. Custom built tube frame cars do the same, and what about Trars? They obviously do not use the factory frame, they use the frame from an OEM donor vehicle. Anyway, you did answer my question and I may go ahead and try it, I wish someone had done this and could give me some specifics...Thanks.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:14 AM
Contributing Member

greene i sell ya my whole truck for $2500
Old 09-09-2005, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by dwh91102
greene i sell ya my whole truck for $2500
Thanks for the offer, I HAVE a 4-Runner and a Truck already and a 1966 Mustang and a 1997 Lincoln Continental (Trade Me?Awesome car needs brakes and a coil spring swap) and a 2000 Taurus and a 1957 Fitzjohn Duraliner Motor Coach. Too many cars as is. I just want to use my truck frame to build something killer to put under the 4-Runner I already have. Aurora...are you planning on going to the 4WD nationals in Indy? Should be fun. Later.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:26 AM
Contributing Member

when is it, my buddy asked me the other day if I was going. I went to the u.s nationals last weekend, also if your interested were going to haspen acres OCT 22
Old 09-09-2005, 09:34 AM

It is Sept. 23-24-25 go to familyevents.com and they have all the info. It is kind of pricey...$15.00 a head. I will see if i can find the Haspin Acres site and then put it on my calendar. I believe I can make it...That would be great. Thanks for mentioning it. Maybe we could camp too...Hmmm the wheels are turning.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:37 AM
Contributing Member

greene I can't camp, do to previous obligations on that sunday, but we get there early morning and ride all day. Just shoot me a pm if your interested
www.haspinacres.com
Old 09-09-2005, 09:38 AM
Banned

actually frame swapping is illegal as well as cab swapping..... off-road buggies with tube frames if street legal can get away with it due to the fact they become kit cars and have to pass a brake and light inspection... the same inspection a salvaged vehicle needs to pass to become street legal again...... kit cars opens up a whole nother bunch of laws regarding licensing... swapping frames/bodies is illegal
Old 09-09-2005, 09:50 AM
Contributing Member

actually frame swapping is illegal as well as cab swapping..... off-road buggies with tube frames if street legal can get away with it due to the fact they become kit cars and have to pass a brake and light inspection... the same inspection a salvaged vehicle needs to pass to become street legal again...... kit cars opens up a whole nother bunch of laws regarding licensing... swapping frames/bodies is illegal
Dude more s*%* comes out of your mouth than I ever thought possible by 1 person. I'm not to sure on the KALIFORNIA laws, so I won't act like I do like some people, but as far as Indiana go's he can swap any body he wants onto any frame he wants as long as the vin# matches the title of the veh., and the registration of the veh. How do you think that anybody would restore a old veh, and they need a cab, or a frame, or any other part for that matter. Get your facts straight before you give someone a answer. Also greene just to back this up, I contacted the state police, b.m.v, and auto body shops ALL of which said it was perfectly legal.......So good luck, and if you need any help give a holla.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:03 AM

dwh91102...I appreciate you running this down. I have been building cars for over 20 years and I know in the classic car field we changed frames all the time. You can even buy new frames for Jeeps, new bodies for jeeps, new frames for Tri-Fives and new frames for some Toyotas are also available. Oh well. I think he is confusing switching VIN's for reasons of deception with replacing a mechanical component ie: Putting VIN from a totalled Shelby on a Plain Jane Mustang and then calling it a Shelby IS illegal, but replacing the rusted frame under your FJ-40 or 49 Mercury is not. Look at all the S-10's on Full size frames, cars with truck frames under them (Trars) and the like. Thanks for the replies on the legality, I am hoping someone can chime in on the practicality
Old 09-09-2005, 10:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dwh91102
Dude more s*%* comes out of your mouth than I ever thought possible by 1 person. I'm not to sure on the KALIFORNIA laws, so I won't act like I do like some people, but as far as Indiana go's he can swap any body he wants onto any frame he wants as long as the vin# matches the title of the veh., and the registration of the veh. How do you think that anybody would restore a old veh, and they need a cab, or a frame, or any other part for that matter. Get your facts straight before you give someone a answer. Also greene just to back this up, I contacted the state police, b.m.v, and auto body shops ALL of which said it was perfectly legal.......So good luck, and if you need any help give a holla.

actually [edited for explicit content], when building up or restoring a car there is different requirements that fall under kit car... look it up....

CALIFORNIA has a C at the beginning

Last edited by jimabena74; 09-09-2005 at 10:32 AM.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:16 AM

Restoring or 'building up' a car is NOT building a Kit Car, never has been. Calm down. Swallow your pride. Call it a lesson learned. Be a man. There is no reason you cannot replace a frame, and we know that. You are harder headed than the teens I teach every day... and they are VERY hard headed.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:22 AM
Banned

actually no, i know the law because i have been through it......

i am doing some checkign right now, and will psot back with the findings later... so far, it's looking in my favor

thats jsut like the same argument people always have about running some amplifier on their cb radio or using a cb thats been modified... sure you might not ever get caught, but its still illegal....

anyways otehr than it being illegal, it shouldnt be too hard to do... the cab front and the radiaotr shoudl be the same, then its jsut a case of possibly needing to relocate the rear mounts.....

Last edited by jimabena74; 09-09-2005 at 10:24 AM.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:25 AM

I am looking forward to it.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:26 AM
Contributing Member

actually no, i know the law because i have been through it......

i am doing some checkign right now, and will psot back with the findings later... so far, it's looking in my favor

thats jsut like the same argument people always have about running some amplifier on their cb radio or using a cb thats been modified... sure you might not ever get caught, but its still illegal....

anyways otehr than it being illegal, it shouldnt be too hard to do... the cab front and the radiaotr shoudl be the same, then its jsut a case of possibly needing to relocate the rear mounts.....
Dam your a pro at everything, is there anything you don't do, and a ya I slightly now the law, being thats what I do for a living
Old 09-09-2005, 11:44 AM

This should clear up things a bit. Matkins sells replacement frames for FJ-40's. They specify them as warranted for road use. Obviously legal. Here is a link. http://www.matkinsextreme.com/FJ40's/FJ40's.htm