Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

4 lights across stock bumper.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 02:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 lights across stock bumper.

I've been looking around for a while but I'm not finding any pics of a 3rd Gen with 4 off-road lights across the top of a stock front bumper. I was playing with Photoshop and I wasn't sure I liked the look. I would like to have two on top and then two lower down where the lic plate gets bolted on. But I'm not sure about the idea of bolting lights to nothing but plastic with a lic. plate lightbar type mount.

So if anyone has any pics to show me or ideas, I would love to see them. I don't want to spend money on a bull bar or brush guard because I would like to replace the whole bumper someday.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't say that i've ever seen that done..... Be The First!!!! Start a trend
Old 09-02-2008, 02:49 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by lftd_86_yota
I can't say that i've ever seen that done..... Be The First!!!! Start a trend
This is how it would look (Kind of....)

I would perfer this....
Old 09-02-2008, 02:56 PM
Contributing Member

I like the second. However, even mounted on top of the bumper, you'll experience a certain amount of vibration in the lights. The only answer for that is a light bar that is tied into the frame somehow.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:56 PM

I agree... super sexy truck by the way
Old 09-02-2008, 03:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That set up sounds good in theory but there are a few issues.
First off.........that pesky plastic filler panel on top of the bumper.
Then there's the blocking of the radiator and tranny cooler.
Most of the front end is plastic so attachment points are few.

Some buddies have those hoop bars but if they are not installed correctly..
good god.......they wiggle, shake, shimmy, crack and vibrate all the hardware loose..

Good luck...Kenny S>
Old 09-02-2008, 03:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not the first....

Here ya go.

Originally Posted by sharrack
Then there's the blocking of the radiator and tranny cooler.
I never had an issue with overheating, or anything like that.

Last edited by crolison; 09-02-2008 at 03:45 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:42 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by crolison
Not the first....

I never had an issue with overheating, or anything like that.
Thanks everyone... I really want to try to find a way for my second option if I can. Crolision.... How sterdy are your's? Do they bouce around any? There is metal sheeting under that plastic so there is SOME metal to fasten to. Also, overheating, I'm not THAT worried about. I think we had maybe 3 days that were over 70* this year. I already have electric fans installed, and a Scan Gauge to monitor water temps. I should have that covered.

I'm brainstorming how I can make a bracket that will bolt to the top of the bumper (in front of the plastic cap) and roll down towards where the lic plate is mounted. Then have the lights mounted to it. Maybe some extra metal under the top part of the bumper to help support them as well.... I don't know... I'm just in the thinking stages of this. I haven't even got the lights priced out yet. (made calls, no answers yet)
Old 09-02-2008, 04:55 PM

Just to play devil's advocate; why 4 lights? Why not just get 2 GOOD ones and be done with it?
Old 09-02-2008, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by psraff
How sterdy are your's? Do they bouce around any? There is metal sheeting under that plastic so there is SOME metal to fasten to.
Well they were sturdy when I had them on the bumper, didn't bounce around much, if you tighten them down.

My front bumper is all metal, so i just drilled straight into that, so if you have metal underneath it you should be good to go.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:15 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Whitey13
Just to play devil's advocate; why 4 lights? Why not just get 2 GOOD ones and be done with it?
Light Force are top of the line, so they are already "Good Ones". In my picture, you will see I have a pair of dark blue ones (for snow) and then a pair of yellow ones for fog and haze. Now these colored lenses can be changed to different colors. If I wanted, I can take them off and put on other colors for other conditions or even clear ones. I plan on keeping the yellow ones for fog all the time. Then change back and forth from clear to yellow depending on the time of the year. I also would like to install a rheostat on each circuit so I don't have to kill them everytime a car comes along. If I have them turned down where they are still on, but not enough to blind on-coming traffic, that would be great. Then be able to turn them on full for when no one is around.

Honestly, I don't have to HAVE 4 of them, but I would LIKE 4 of them. If I used only 2, I "could" use the dark blue lenses for winter time, then change to yellow for the rest of the year. Amber if I plan on off-road trips or camping... Hell, I could even change to the inferred ones when I wanted to play Army... LOL
Old 09-02-2008, 05:25 PM

2nd One I thinks looks Good![IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-02-2008, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by psraff
I also would like to install a rheostat on each circuit so I don't have to kill them everytime a car comes along.
Good luck with that, you need to find a rheostat that can handle the full load of those lights, since your gonna have to install it on the back side of the relay.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:54 PM

Why not break the bank and get an xmitter light bar.
http://www.visionxoffroad.com/products/led/XmitterBar/
Old 09-02-2008, 06:01 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by crolison
Good luck with that, you need to find a rheostat that can handle the full load of those lights, since your gonna have to install it on the back side of the relay.
I've been thinking about that. As of right now, I don't have the amount of amps they draw (they are 12V \ 100 W Xenophot Bulb). I don't know anything about that kind of bulb, and even if I can put a rheostat on them without damaging them. Looking at their wiring harness, they state "Resistor Protected 30 amp relay". So if I stay in that range I should be safe. But I wont rely just on that. I have some homework to do with this before buying this setup.

If anyone cares about reading up on these:
http://www.lightforceusa.com/images/...webversion.pdf
Old 09-02-2008, 06:05 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Whitey13
Why not break the bank and get an xmitter light bar.
http://www.visionxoffroad.com/products/led/XmitterBar/
As a matter of fact, I was looking at those and talking with a distributor about them.... He states that the next version of them will have different colored LEDs in them... So you can set it to go from Blue, Yellow, Amber, ect.... But not sure How to mount those to behind the grill, or in my bumper.

That would solve all my issues, and they are bright as a mofo. But just the mounting issue with them.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:46 AM
Contributing Member

Lights installed! (PICS)

Got the lights installed. I haven't had time to make any kind of bracket to have two lower down on the bumper so I just mounted all four across the top. Also, because of one broken headlight I ordered the black headlight set and got those installed as well. I think they came out pretty good.

I have the LightForce hooked up on a three way switch (one switch for each set of lights). One of the "On" is wired up to my brights. The other is hooked to a ign. source. When winter comes I'll change over from the yellow lenses to dark blue to see better in the snow.

What do you think?
Old 09-21-2008, 08:56 AM

Pretty sweet, I too was one of those "wierdos" who wanted 4 lights on my truck, except on a light bar, it's kind of a sickness I'm putting 4 more on the truck but oh well. Oh and do the colored lenses really work?
Old 09-21-2008, 09:04 AM

that looks great, i really like the way your 4runner keeps coming along nicely.

now all you need is some black LED taillights
Old 09-21-2008, 09:37 AM

i liked the second setup better. but it looks good the way you put em on

Quick Reply: 4 lights across stock bumper.