Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3way switches

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 07:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3way switches

I am trying to run a set of aux back up lamps on my rig. I've drawn several schematics and still cannot come up with what will work. Here's what I want... I want to run a 3 way switch so that i can have the aux lights come on by themselves when I am loading a boat or trailor, an off switch so that the aux lights wont come on at all, then another on switch for when i put it in reverse. I've gone over it with my shop foreman at work but he is stumped and so am I. The only way i can think of is to run a 3way and have 2 separate realays one for the hardwire and another for the reverse tap wire. Any diagrams or help would be great!!!
Old 02-01-2005, 08:06 AM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When you say "on by themselves", I assume you mean you want to manually turn them on or off from the switch. If that's so, then you're simply installing an "on-off-on" 3-pole switch with 2 trigger inputs for your "new" relay: 1 from your battery (or other hot source) and 1 from your back-up light circuit.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:26 AM

I think you need only two-way switch, by my reading.
When it is set to off, it is off even you are in reversing, or loading boat.
When it is on, it will be on when your are in reversing, or you are in loading boat.

I am assuming you would not need this aux light on at other time, which is the purpose of the third switch.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:01 AM

The switch you are talking about are standard on IPF back up lights, the switch isn't pretty. However there is This Company that makes 3 way switch that look exactly like OEM 2 way switch but they don't sell it directly. The part # 58328-103-BP. Here is where you can get one for $17.12 with Free Shipment
Also check out J.A Web Site for Diagram and Switch Information

Last edited by Bratik; 02-01-2005 at 09:30 AM.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:15 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Rick F.
When you say "on by themselves", I assume you mean you want to manually turn them on or off from the switch. If that's so, then you're simply installing an "on-off-on" 3-pole switch with 2 trigger inputs for your "new" relay: 1 from your battery (or other hot source) and 1 from your back-up light circuit.
Yes that's exactly what I am trying to do. I went to a few places like autozone, advance autoparts, and napa. Napa was the only place that knew what i was talking about BUT the stupid guy told me i needed a compacitor alone. I know the concept of a compacitor but why in the heck would it work for something like this? I got tired of arguing and just decided to wire a single switch to the lights. I may try and do the 3 pole switch later but right now I'm so aggravated with trying to even get the right parts.
Old 02-05-2005, 07:52 PM

Rick nailed it. You need a single pole 3 position switch. On-Off-On where down is on from one source, middle is off, and up is on again from another source. It will have 3 screws, two inputs and a common output(or vice versa). One input is from your reverse light circuit, the other input is from a hot source on your fuse block and the common will feed either your auxiliary lights if they are not too heavy a wattage, or a relay which in turn controls the lights which are fed from a separate fused source directly from your battery. Did you follow that?
Both the toggle switch and the relay should be available from an auto parts store or an electronics store. Make sure that the relay is 12DC if you get one and the contact rating is sufficient to handle the wattage of your aux lamps.

Last edited by alltrac165; 02-05-2005 at 07:54 PM.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:30 AM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
To bring up an old topic, I am wanting to do the same thing but lets make sure I understand this directly...

the SPDT switch will have 3 prongs, top being hot from the fuse box, the middle being output to the lights, and the bottom being hot tapped in from the reverse lights, correct? Can I use a quick connect on one of the reverse light wires to splice into the hot? Should the switch be able to handle 9 amps (my lights), is that even possible? If not, do I get a 12V relay and put that inline with the output to the lights?

Last edited by drguitarum2005; 06-02-2006 at 11:53 AM.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:19 PM

The wiring is correct. the only things you need to consider are whether your stock reverse circuit can handle another 9 amps of current (probably not safely). and can the switch you have chosen handle the current. Typically, the higher the current capability of the switch, the the more industrial it will look. In conclusion, you can get a switch that will work but you should use a relay for the reverse trigger and if you'd like a cool looking small switch you should use two relays or one relay and a diode.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:01 PM
Contributing Member

yeah i didnt think about the switch getting some feedback with the lights spliced into the back-up lights. i have since redesigned it using a double contact relay and it should work. thanks!
Old 06-02-2006, 06:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i don't know if this will help or just confuse things a little more but i'll chime in with something.
i'm planning on doing something similar and i needed a 3 position switch but wanted a factory look. i used to own an '85 celica hatchback and in the center console part it had a switch that controlled the back windshield wiper. if the switch was set in the middle position it would be off, pushed down on one side was wiper on constantly, and pushed in the other direction was wiper on intermittantly. i'm not a person that knows about electronics or switches but am i wrong at thinking this is a 3 position switch that might work? it also fits perfectly in the rectangle knock outs so it looks really nice.

so, maybe someone can tell if this is a switch that would work for your application. if so and you can't find a celica hatchback, you could get the same thing from a supra '82-'86 as well. hope it helps

patrick
Old 06-02-2006, 08:27 PM
Contributing Member

that sounds like it would work. it sounds like an on-off-on switch that is just using a delay on one side of a relay or something.

with a double pole double throw toggle, on-off-on, how exactly does it work? i know a SPDT switch has 2 hot inputs and one "output", does a DPDT have two hot inputs and 2 outputs, one for each hot input? Kind of like putting two SPST switches next to each other and just sharing the "off" position?
Old 06-03-2006, 07:51 AM

Yes,your last sentence is correct it's just like having two seperate switches attached together. Depending on the application, a SPDT can be used as one input with two outputs OR two inputs with one output. Double that or one of each for a DPDT. As far a using a factory switch, it would have to be tested with a meter first as almost no factory switches are as simple as aftermarket/standard ones.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:32 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
One thing that helps me get a picture of how to wire a switch is to set my multimeter on continuity and starting touching the prongs of the switch to see when it beeps and when it doesn't. Really helps with DTDP and on-off-on switches. I like to use relays with things that draw more than just a few amps. Radio Shack has 30 amp relays and switches cheap. The stores they are closing here are 60% off now on parts.
Old 06-03-2006, 11:25 AM
Contributing Member

Wow my old thread bumped. Well to update on mine I only just put a relay and hooked it up to my factory backup lamps and they come on only in reverse.
Old 06-03-2006, 11:41 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Lighting FAQ
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...t=Lighting+FAQ

Old 06-06-2006, 05:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i've been looking around on ebay lately when i stumbled on this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyot...QQcmdZViewItem

says it's an on-off-on switch from an early toyota truck. looks just like the switch i was talking about from the celica/supra. also says it was used for additional lighting so it goes along with this post. just thought i'd post in case anyone was interested and to clarify what i was talking about.

patrick
Old 06-07-2006, 04:05 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by pattycakes77
i've been looking around on ebay lately when i stumbled on this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyot...QQcmdZViewItem

says it's an on-off-on switch from an early toyota truck. looks just like the switch i was talking about from the celica/supra. also says it was used for additional lighting so it goes along with this post. just thought i'd post in case anyone was interested and to clarify what i was talking about.

patrick
Wow, for $40 could'nt he at least wipe the dirt off it. I got my on-off-on switch at Radio Shack for about $3.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:05 PM

even at $9 :shock:
prolly a $1 or 2 (or fits in the pocket) at the local JY ?!?

the SPDT switch will have 3 prongs, top being hot from the fuse box, the middle being output to the lights, and the bottom being hot tapped in from the reverse lights, correct?
3 prongs-yes, internal wiring-no.
on most switches the center prong is the common and the top (or bottom) is an output { \ ! / } the ! toggles between the outputs { \ or / }
to run the 2 sets of lights the way you want, a DPDT switch is needed.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:18 PM

He needs a 3 position (on off on) SPDT switch and a relay. Wire the aux lamps through the relay contacts, wire one side of the coil / trigger wire to ground and the other side to the common on the SPDT switch. Wire one side of the SPDT switch to the factory back up lamps, wire the other side to 12v.
In one of the 2 'on' positions, it waits for the factory back up lamp 12v signal to trigger the relay and light the aux lamps. In the other on position, the switch passes 12v to the relay and lights the aux lamps. In the 'off' position (center), nothing activates the aux lamps.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:56 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
I'd say Will knows what he is talking about...you should have seen his 88 at SE4RJ...too nice to wheel IMO. I wish you were closer and could put some of those type gadgets on my 87.

Quick Reply: 3way switches