Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3vze E-Bay Alert..

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 06:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3vze E-Bay Alert..

I don't know anything at all about this but it looks interesting if you need a new 3vze

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33615

I'm pissed since I just spent over 2500.00 rebuilding my motor.

It closes very soon (4 hours)
Old 06-30-2004, 11:04 PM

I have no idea how you spent that much on your engine rebuild. I baught coated pistons, new rods, different heads, gasket kit, total seal rings, oil pump, machine work, etc. and am still below $1000. Shop around and find the best prices on the best products.
Old 07-01-2004, 06:56 AM

Well if your just talking about the Long block - it was probably only about 1400.00. But I replaced everything - Sensors(O2, Knock, Temperature, Oil Pressure), Idlers, Wires had the fuel injectors cleaned, all hoses (I mean every water hose on the thing) water pump, starter, alternator.

The only thing I didn't replace was the A/C compressor.

All pistons, Rods were personally balanced to perfection and the valves are adjusted perfectly to exact factory specifications. I used mostly all OEM parts (except for the Bosch Starter/Alternator).

I've got about 3K on the engine now - and I'm going to tear the top off of it this weekend and recheck the valves now that they've had a chance to wear in. Then I'm switching over to Mobil 1 Synthetic.

Needless to say - it runs like a swiss watch and I hope to get another hundred K out of the gutless 3.Slow.
Old 07-01-2004, 07:21 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Rebuilt like THAT it should last much longer than another 100k. Mine is at 214k now and still purrs. I don't share others dislike of the 3.0 but then mine has been a great motor. (Now that I've said something... shouldn't tempt fate.)
Old 07-01-2004, 08:43 AM

Cool deal, sounds like you did the same type of job that I'm in the process of doing with mine, though mine isn't going to built to factory standards. I have an extra little twist on mine. I'm not sure how soon it'll be done since I've run out of money, lol. I should have done the lift later, but I guess it's less to worry about later.

And Flame, I don't hate the 3VZ either. I've never had a problem with power even with 31s and stock gears. My rebuild should make more power and hopefully a gear change won't be needed by my standards for awhile. I think that people on here just don't understand that a large 4wd vehicle don't need to do 0-60 in 5.4sec or the 1/4 mile in 11sec.
Old 07-01-2004, 12:28 PM

Actually, after the full rebuild of the 3vze - and I know quite a bit about engines, I totally dislike the design and feel like it is over-engineered in some areas (Fake water pump assembly that costs about 600.00 with a non-replaceable bearing), under engineered in other areas (head gasket that is the most flimsy thing I've ever seen in my life - 1/4 inch between the water jacket and the outside of the engine with head bolts that suck.) Not to mention the Valve adjuster shim fiasco.

This engine is the most difficult chinese puzzle I have ever encountered. But, I'm stuck with it now so I hope my "Wife" likes driving it - cause I ain't giving up my F150 Supercrew (270hp) for nothing.
Old 07-01-2004, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by radrex
Actually, after the full rebuild of the 3vze - and I know quite a bit about engines, I totally dislike the design and feel like it is over-engineered in some areas (Fake water pump assembly that costs about 600.00 with a non-replaceable bearing), under engineered in other areas (head gasket that is the most flimsy thing I've ever seen in my life - 1/4 inch between the water jacket and the outside of the engine with head bolts that suck.) Not to mention the Valve adjuster shim fiasco.

This engine is the most difficult chinese puzzle I have ever encountered. But, I'm stuck with it now so I hope my "Wife" likes driving it - cause I ain't giving up my F150 Supercrew (270hp) for nothing.
Alright, I am an engineer and know quite abit about engine, but by no means everything. But one thing that I do know it's Toyota engines.

I can agree with you that they screwed this engine up at the factory over a decade ago. However, there are plenty of answers to this engines short comings. Head studs for the gasket problem (could have metal gaskets made), you can get the shimless buckets for valve adjustment.
Old 07-02-2004, 05:28 AM

Shimless buckets?? Where can I get these? How do they work?

As far as the head gaskets go - I went with Felpro on this one. I did buy new Torque To Yield Head Bolts. I passed on the Studs due to the cost.

I bought this runner with 104k miles - the head gasket went out in about a week and started pumping anti-freeze (luckily not into the engine but to the outside). When I took the engine apart it was obvious that this wasn't the first time the heads had been off of it. So I could only guess that it had went through 2 Head Gaskets in 104k miles. I've seen several posts that allude to about 50K Miles per Head Gasket.

I had the heads decked flat while rebuilding them, so hopefully - I'll get better than 50k out of this set of head gaskets. If not - Now that I've completely rebuilt it once - the next time I have to do the Head gaskets it will go alot faster. I could probably replace them next time in about 2 days.
Old 07-02-2004, 07:33 AM

Shimless buckets?? Where can I get these? How do they work?

As far as the head gaskets go - I went with Felpro on this one. I did buy new Torque To Yield Head Bolts. I passed on the Studs due to the cost.

I bought this runner with 104k miles - the head gasket went out in about a week and started pumping anti-freeze (luckily not into the engine but to the outside). When I took the engine apart it was obvious that this wasn't the first time the heads had been off of it. So I could only guess that it had went through 2 Head Gaskets in 104k miles. I've seen several posts that allude to about 50K Miles per Head Gasket.

I had the heads decked flat while rebuilding them, so hopefully - I'll get better than 50k out of this set of head gaskets. If not - Now that I've completely rebuilt it once - the next time I have to do the Head gaskets it will go alot faster. I could probably replace them next time in about 2 days.
Shimless buckets can be baught right at your local Toyota Dealership. All of the newer Toyota engines come with shimless buckets. For some time aftermarket companies use to sell under bucket shims.....I think Toyota did for a few years also. Anyway, now they use shimless buckets. Basically you figure out the size shims that you need and you buy the buckets that have the correct shim built size made into it.

All of the Celica owners that are doing 3S-GTE swaps or 5S-GTE hybrids with big boost and/or high lift cams are going to these buckets.

And I have no idea what is wrong with all of the head gaskets.....I got over 200,000 out of mine before it needed a rebuild and the rebuild was a cause of a spun rod bearing, not the head gasket.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:45 AM

Shimless buckets wouldn't make any difference- then to adjust the valves you would have to buy the whole thing instead of just a shim.

Much more costly I'm sure. You would also have to completely remove the cam to replace them.
Old 07-02-2004, 11:47 AM

Shimless buckets wouldn't make any difference- then to adjust the valves you would have to buy the whole thing instead of just a shim.

Much more costly I'm sure. You would also have to completely remove the cam to replace them.
Shimless buckets do not make a difference in performance, no.....BUT they do make a difference in high RPM engine or in engines with high lift cams. Some Toyota engine have been know to through the shims and have problems.

You listed the shims as a downfall to the engine earlier. I was just giving you other options. and yes it is more costly, but more reliable.
Old 07-25-2004, 05:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan_90SR5
...a large 4wd vehicle don't need to do 0-60 in 5.4sec or the 1/4 mile in 11sec....
If you say so....

lol
Old 07-25-2004, 05:42 PM

I am a 3VZ-E owner myself and I happen to like them. Here's the thing with the 3VZ-E. As a faithful Toyota lover I can attest that the 3VZ-E is the ˟˟˟˟tiest motor ever produced by Toyota. If you compare the motor to other manufacturers then the 3VZ-E shines. The 3VZ-E isn't the finest motor out there but it certainly beats anything offered by other car companies in comparable vehicles at the time.

Originally Posted by Flamedx4
Rebuilt like THAT it should last much longer than another 100k. Mine is at 214k now and still purrs. I don't share others dislike of the 3.0 but then mine has been a great motor. (Now that I've said something... shouldn't tempt fate.)