Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3rd Generation 4Runner rear left vent question

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 09:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 3rd Generation 4Runner rear left vent question

I'm curious, what is the purpose of the vent-thing that sits behind the side of the bumper in the back left corner, of which the slits are apart of inside? The reason I ask is that for the past couple years or so, I get an extreme amount of dust that enters the cab through there on dirt roads, especially on washboard roads where I figure that flap is bouncing open quite a bit letting a miniature dust storm come inside. Yes, it gets very bad, and my interior is ever covered in a layer of dust. The only thing I can figure is that it might be used to reduce cabin pressure at times, but I doubt that is the reason. I will have to seal the vent slits off on the inside to eliminate this, but was curious as to its function. I'm looking forward to being enlightened.

Thanks!
Old 05-12-2008, 10:16 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"The only thing I can figure is that it might be used to reduce cabin pressure at times"

That's exactly what it's for. Everytime you close your door you're slamming mass amounts of air into your Runner. It needs to go somewhere.... I thought it was too big also until I had my back bumper off and I closed the driver door. I was amazed on the amount of pressure that came out. Plus I may be wrong, but if you have your air on and it's set to suck the air from the outside instead of the inside.... If you didn't have that vent, where would the air go?
Old 05-13-2008, 05:28 AM
Contributing Member

Hey Darren...long time, no see.

I wonder if a modified air filter could be mounted down there (inside the body) to reduce the dust in the cabin.

Last edited by Bighead; 05-13-2008 at 05:31 AM.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Bighead

I wonder if a modified air filter could be mounted down there (inside the body) to reduce the dust in the cabin.
Not sure but this vent is exhaust and not intake so you would be cleaning the air as it exited the cabin.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:36 AM

The vent is designed for exhaust, but it also does intake air at times, as evidenced by the dust build-up. I have the same issue, and I went to Wal-Mart and bought some filter material and cut it to size and inserted it into the hole behind plastic fins on the vent housing. I haven't had the opportunity to try it on really dusty roads/trails yet, but I'm hoping it helps a bit. Can't hurt...
Old 05-13-2008, 10:28 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks, Shannon. I didn't even think about closing the doors. That makes sense. The problem I'm having really does seem to indicate something is not right at all.

Originally Posted by Bighead
Indeed!
Old 01-19-2022, 05:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Resurrecting this very old thread with a related question.

Could a small-footprint amp be installed in the vent area, providing 50% or more airflow could be maintained? Seems like a good, out of the way place to mount one.
Old 03-06-2022, 06:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm going to answer my own question, because I did install a small-footprint amp in the vent space a few weeks ago and it's fine. I would estimate the open space in the vent is reduced by about 40%, but there's enough airflow that the amp's internal thermometer isn't triggering its cooling fan and I don's sense any resistance when opening/closing doors.

For those of you wondering about a filter for the vent, evidently there is a Camry cabin air filter that fits the space, but I don't know what year.