Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3rd gen w/ rear heat center console removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd gen w/ rear heat center console removal

I had no problems when I wanted to remove the center console from my 04 double cab, or my 2000 tacoma reg cab.. but this has me stumped.

I just got this yesterday, and was yanking everything out to do a thorough cleaning of the inside, but couldn't get the center console out for the life of me.

I figure it was the rear heat making the difference...

I undid the two bolts on the inside of the console, unscrewed the screws, and even popped the two push pin ones at the very front part... that's down below the dash...

I just couldn't get the center console part separated from the part where the gear shifter and stuff is.

And speaking of that.. I wanted to remove it too because the leather boot on the 4wd shifter is popped out.

ideas?

thanks
Old 04-09-2007, 05:13 AM

If you have rear heat, there are two hoses that go up in there from under the vehicle. Trace them down the passenger side and over to the middle center. They go from rubber in the engine compartment to metal and then back to rubber where they go up inside the truck.

Other than that, check some more.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:41 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Real simiple.

1. Remove the 2 screws on the left and right side of the console where the cupholders meet the trim around the shifters.

2. Open the console lid and pry out the black piece that make up the cup holders and surround the e-brake. This piece is secured by clips that are easily removed:

3. Once the 2 screws and black piece are removed, pull up on the trim around the shifter to remove it, seen in the picture below:

(It's just clips holding it in place)

4. There is a screw holding the 4WD shifter knob in place. Unscrew it to lift the leather boot and shifter knob w/ the trim piece up and out of your way. There will be a connector underneath that you can either leave be or unconnect to remove the entire trim piece.

5. Unbolt the 2 10mm bolts inside the console holding it in place.

6. Remove the rear heat knob by pulling it off:

Now the console is ready to be removed. Just slide it back a bit to clear the rear heat lever and slowly pull up. You will see another connector (one or two, can't remember for sure) that will need to be unplugged before the console can be completely removed.

Once you've unconnected it, the console will come off easily.

To reinstall, just start with the last step and work your way back to the first.

Now take your entire carpet out for a good clean:

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Rock Slide; 04-09-2007 at 05:45 AM.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:46 AM

That helps a lot, thanks!

I didn't think about prying the black plastic piece off.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:55 AM

I wish I had the time to completely strip my 4runner and clean it...That an impressive "write-up" very helpful
Old 04-09-2007, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by lr9788
I wish I had the time to completely strip my 4runner and clean it...That an impressive "write-up" very helpful
That's the first thing I get a used vehicle... When I couldn't get the center console off I decided I'd just vacuum instead of cleaning the carpets.

I like to take what I can out because it helps to get in all the crevices that dirty gets stuck in.

Nice writeup indeed.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:23 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks.

My original intention was not to remove the carpet to simply clean it, but rather to remove the original "padding". The padding had mildewed due to a leak and the smell was unbearable. Fortunately, the carpet was not affected because it has a rubber liner underneath.

I removed the seats, all the trim, the carpet and chunked the old mildewed padding.

Then while the carpet was out, I had it professionally cleaned (for $35 no less) in my driveway by a professional carpet cleaner. It was cleaned, deodorized and had a microfiber application applied to it to repel spills.

While it was out, I took a page out of Bob's book (Sound Deadening Mod) and applied a layer of sound deadening over the entire floor board and cargo area:
(Couple pics are large...photobucket was not resizing them for some reason)

I picked up some new, more dense 8lb carpet padding and installed it (It was only $15 at Lowe's):

Last step, reinstalled the carpet, trim and eventually the seats:

No more smell and a much quiter ride.

I have thought about applying a layer of sound deadening to the doors and roof, but that's a later project...no time soon.

Oh and the leak...what leak?

Last edited by Rock Slide; 04-09-2007 at 07:26 AM.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:44 PM

I don't know how dirty your carpet was before you cleaned it, but it looks new in that pic!

I've got the tan interior, but my carpet in areas looks gray for the most part. If the weather warms up a bit this weekend I might go that route and add the sound deadening.

Here's a problem I ran into.. The tabs on the plastic pieces that cover the seat bolts.. I always seem to break one. I broke one on my 04 double cab, and now on this one. Like the one on the front left of the driver seat.. it won't stay on now. You can place it on there, but if you move the seat forward it falls off. I wonder how expensive those are from the stealership.

I actually couldn't get the two pieces of plastic trim that run along the bottom of the doors in the rear. I pulled up on them pretty hard and they never would snap out. I got the front ones out with out much trouble. I was afraid to pull any harder than I was in fear of breaking yet another peice of plastic in the Runner.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:23 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by fenrisx
I don't know how dirty your carpet was before you cleaned it, but it looks new in that pic!

I've got the tan interior, but my carpet in areas looks gray for the most part. If the weather warms up a bit this weekend I might go that route and add the sound deadening.

Here's a problem I ran into.. The tabs on the plastic pieces that cover the seat bolts.. I always seem to break one. I broke one on my 04 double cab, and now on this one. Like the one on the front left of the driver seat.. it won't stay on now. You can place it on there, but if you move the seat forward it falls off. I wonder how expensive those are from the stealership.

I actually couldn't get the two pieces of plastic trim that run along the bottom of the doors in the rear. I pulled up on them pretty hard and they never would snap out. I got the front ones out with out much trouble. I was afraid to pull any harder than I was in fear of breaking yet another peice of plastic in the Runner.

My carpet was fairly dirty, but it cleaned up very nice. That picture was taken after it had been cleaned.

So far, I've only broken one plastic cap covering a seat bolt (knock on wood) while removing them, and I've removed all of them multiple times. Have not priced one at the dealer yet, but I'm guessing around +/-$20.00 ea.

Is this one of the two plastic trim pieces you're referring to:

They're a sinch to remove. One side snaps into the plastic trim tower (around the driver's seat belt) and is then held in place by one screw...noted by the GREEN circle: (see picture below)

The other end snaps into the fender trim and is then held in place by one screw...noted by the BLUE circle. (This fender trim piece is not shown in this picture.):

Once you have removed both screws, just pry out the trim piece applying your force around each screw. Start by removing one end and then remove the other side. It is much easier to remove one side at a time than trying to remove both sides at once. If you try pulling the trim piece up from the middle, you might break the end tabs and/or crease the trim piece itself.

I've taken these pieces off many times and have never broken one. Just give them a little more force as I have decribed above and they should come out easily. If not, you might want to try using a flat head screw driver to pry them out.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:55 AM

Yeah that's the same way they are in the double cab I had, these just didn't want to let go. I'll just use my Hulk strength on them this weekend and hope I don't break them.

thanks
Old 04-10-2007, 07:10 AM
Contributing Member

You should be fine...just take your time.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Rock Slide
You should be fine...just take your time.
Wow..that's exactly what I did when I sunk my Runner in a puddle! Took everything out, sound dampened with airplane dexstamp, grade 8 carpet pad, and installed new black carpet since I ended up dying my dash and other interior parts. Nice pics, and looks like a clean job. Oh, yeah the console should be easy to take out like the directions in the photo!!!
Old 04-10-2007, 04:29 PM

Got any pics of your dash?