Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3rd Gen VS. FJ

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd Gen VS. FJ

My good buddy has a FJ and after driving his a while I decided I didn't like very much. Offroad wise it seems more than capable and neither one of us had any trouble keeping up with each other. However the ergonomics left me suprised that this was made by Toyota. It seems like it was a last minute build. Here are some things I noticed.

1. Rear window only opens with key (does not roll down). Opening it with a key somehow arms the factory alarm and if you close an open door after opening the rear glass it sets the alarm off.

2. No lighted key cylinder for ignition

3. No map lights

4. No sunroof option (for '07 anyways)

5. No rear speakers, just the front doors, tweeters and optional sub.

6. Rear suicide doors are hinged so they swing open and down. If you are sitting in the back you have to pull the weight of the door slightly up then close

7. Hard plastic cargo area not very durable. Shows every scratch and scuff and things are constantly sliding around.

8. Backseat room is that of a sports car.

9. Very small windows create huge blind spots.

10. 4.0 in it doesn't seem as peppy as in the new 4runner. Maybe it's gearing or weight.

I really like the way it rides and goes down the road but I just don't feel like I am driving a Toyota. I feel like I am driving something built FOR Toyota. Usually Toyota's are well thought out and have usefull features. To me after driving my 3rd gen, it's missing features and seems like it was slapped together on a napkin then thrown into production. I have no doubts on it's reliability but I'd rather be in my 3rd gen.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:02 PM

FJs are dumb. More powerful, than our runners but besides that I didn't notice too much. They suck visibility wise, and you sit in a stupid place, and the dash looks dumb.

As you can tell, Im not a fan.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:12 AM
Contributing Member

It's Toyota's way of keeping costs down. Back in '97 a base price of a Limited 4Runner was almost $33k and most topped out over $35k and that was over 12 years ago;even my Highlander model topped out over $35k so if Toyota is offering FJs and even new SR5 4th gen models even cheaper Toyota had to make concessions.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
all I know is the new FJ cannot get up to the cabin without serious scraping, and having
to jam one rock. nomatter what you try. we call the path up there the 'bozo filter'... while my 99 4runner ltd just pokes right up no scrapes no rubs (if I drive careful)

so, if it can't make the bozo filter, it just ain't right

I mean, hell... a subaru legacy can make it up, [but you have to accept that the running boards
will be smashed up into both doors after coming through the filter]. The FJ pumpkin is too low
and it is not as nimble.

Last edited by BigBallsMcFalls; 03-16-2009 at 08:43 AM.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:30 AM

i don't know good or bad of either one, it's a fact many small dealers stopped stocking FJ because lack of sales, but still plenty of people looking for them, just not buying. the one close to my home has zero 09 FJ on the lot and none of the 09 V8 4Runner.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:01 PM

i think the fj was designed to keep people interested in toyota due to the hummer's popularity. but i 2nd the opinion that the fj isnt very practical.. my dad owns one and i dislike it.. mostly because the seats are damn hard. i love my 99 though.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:16 AM

I also thought they were discontinuing the FJ which will makes parts hard to come by as well??
Old 03-26-2009, 05:32 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
They don't have the nick name F-Gay Cruisers for nothing!

Most of the guys who drive them are just yuppie idiots, at least around here.

I do not like the look of them at all. Inside is worse, and I get claustrophobia while driving in one. Everything is made of plastic, and does not seem high quality to me in the least bit.

They have been a popular seller, but, IMO are ugly and worthless. No room for camping inside, cargo, etc. Why not just get a Wrangler.

First impressions are everything. The first time I saw one offroad, was in the middle of Baja. Three dumbasses were piled inside one with camping gear and surfboards. They were taking a dirt road which was at least 100 miles, and only had a quarter tank. Asked us for OUR spare gas (at our camp).

Last edited by BajaRunner; 03-26-2009 at 05:34 AM.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:33 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Quattro15
I also thought they were discontinuing the FJ which will makes parts hard to come by as well??
'Tis a rumor.
The 2010 model is coming out in August.

Sales are a little slow as well as the rest of the Toyota SUV/truck lineup due to the economy.

The comment about no rear speakers?
Mine came with them, and I did not order the subwoofer package.

My local dealer where I bought mine has '09s on the lot right now, and I have seen a few of them sold and being replaced with new ones.

Backseat room is smaller than other rigs.
Many do haul passengers/kids back there, but many of us take out the rear seats altogether to make room for camping gear.

I would say the FJ is more geared for a grownup who's children are grown, and no longer have to ride with the parents.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:59 AM
Contributing Member

Your right Corey, the FJC was not designed to be another Soccer mom vehicle, it was designed as the original FJ40 was...for off roading.
It was a retro vehicle that had no plans on production until the overwelming support/demand online made Toyota change their mind. So it was a "last minute build" for the auto shows. And why is blind spots such a big issue? I could very quickly learn to adjust the side mirrors to see whats what.
I would kill for one...kill a ford that is.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:48 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Yep, totally not designed for the masses, and I like it.
This is why you see lots of used ones too, as many jumped in on the hoopla when they first came out.

I am not talking diehard Toyota nutz like me and most of us here, but others who have to have the latest new thing.

They soon found out they could not see out of them as they were never trained properly in their youth to use mirrors, thus they complained of blind spots.
And many also said they rode like a truck.
Well duhhhhh, it is a truck.
SUV body on a truck frame.
At least with some selling them soon people who appreciate the rig for what it was truly designed for can pick them up at a good discount.

To me there are no blind spots.
Been driving these since 1978, now they have mass blind spots, and teach you to use your mirrors too.

My other toys I drive daily at work.

PS, I bought mine sight unseen too.
Had not even seen one on the road yet, and I put money down on one shortly after they were starting to show up.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:30 PM

it would be nice to get a purpose built 4Runner and drop the FJ. I.e..use the same platform, engine, drivetrain, and etc but put alot of the stuff we put on it--on it HAHAaa little play on words--

Seems alot of people would die for Solid axle, Portals (yum) and lockers--and diesel and a proper 4link system (One without a Panhard bar). they could build them and even lessen the warranty period because their reputation speaks for itself....Ohhhh i could see it now--Wait, it is in my Garage and the motor and tranny are sitting next to it--back to reality....
Old 03-26-2009, 03:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Hhaha, my comment sounded a little rude, ... no personal attacks, just my own biased opinion.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:52 PM

where are the rear speakers on yours?
Old 03-26-2009, 10:20 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

All the way to the rear when you open the cargo door and on the upper pillars.
I had mine replaced with better ones though when I had a new system installed.

You can see the drivers side one right above the handle on my Powertank C02 bottle.
That is the factory location for them.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:26 AM

Guess those are an option.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:55 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

There are many options.
Many go for a bare bones FJ to save even more money, but alas they do not get a rear wiper (must have here in rainy WA. state) the gauge pod on top of the dash, and the upgraded radio with 6 CD changer.

But, those that buy the bare bones order just a rear locker, and if you get the locker, the rig already has the A Trac up front, just no switch.
Spend $60 for the switch, put it in, and you now have the A Trac too.

I did not want the bare bones rig though, as I wanted a few of the other things.
About the only Japan side options I did not get was the sub woofer package and side airbags.