Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3rd Gen Traction Control

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd Gen Traction Control

I looked for another thread on this but didn't see one. I apologize in advance if I missed it.

We had our yearly snow in North Texas today and now it has turned to ice. I just bought a 2001 4Runner Limited so this was my first opportunity to drive it on ice. I love almost everything about this 4runner... Almost.

The traction control is terrible. When it engages there is just a lot of clicking and loud noise and the wheels don't turn. I suppose one way to control traction is to completely disengage the throttle. At one point every time I opened up the throttle even the slightest it would engage, and therefore I went nowhere.

So I thought, surely that button that says traction control will take care of this. Wrong. I pushed it, and the traction control light came on to signify it was disengaged. Then as soon as I started accelerating again and the wheels spun, the traction control turned itself back on.

It seems like there is no way to actually turn it off. Any ideas?
Old 02-01-2011, 07:33 PM

This ought to help ya out...

Andy Mod

Last edited by JWaldz; 02-01-2011 at 07:37 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:12 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by JWaldz
This ought to help ya out...

Andy Mod

Ditto that!
Old 02-01-2011, 10:51 PM

Awesome that's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!
Old 02-02-2011, 08:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It makes me wonder how Toyota tests stuff like the traction control and ABS and what the hell they are thinking. These primative systems are down-right dangerous in sticky situations. A few weeks ago I almost saw a dude roll his 3rd gen on a steep hill off road becuse the traction control cut all power to his engine at the worst spot possible and he teetered so close to doing a backwards 90* flip it wasn't funny. And his damn truck would not let him get up the hill. My '97 cruised up after his like it was nothing. And the ABS in these things... I honestly don't think any of those systems were tested for even 10 seconds on anything but flat, clean, dry pavement because they show their flaws immediately in situations where you can't afford to loose power, braking ability and tractrion.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:03 AM

That's exactly the situation I found myself in yesterday. Except for the being on a trail part. I was making my way slowly but surely up an icy hill when the traction control engaged and cut all the power to the wheels. Sure it kept the rear wheels from spinning, but it also prevented me from going anywhere. So I ended up halfway up an icy hill with a car right behind me and mine wouldn't go anywhere.

You're right. I can't imagine how, after testing, they came to the conclusion that these VSC, TCS, and ABS systems were better than... nothing lol.

Last edited by senslessengima; 02-02-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:50 AM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
AndyMod! (I'm that Andy...)

Andreas
Old 02-08-2011, 12:48 PM

Traction control marked the conversion of the 4runner family into a series of large family sedans.

glad my 99 4runner doesn't have it. glad my 2010 toyota car does have it.

european toyotas have traction control disable switches where it remains off when wanted. US doesn't
get the same switches. blame the gubmint

Last edited by BigBallsMcFalls; 02-08-2011 at 12:49 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by aowRS

Andreas

Nice write up . I'm planning on doing it as soon as I get some time.
But it's kind of like windshield wipers. You don't ever think about replacing them when it's not raining, then it rains and you remember why you hate them and tell yourself you'll replace them before it rains again... ad infinitum
Old 03-09-2011, 09:44 AM

I had a ARB air locker in my 02 and never had any VSC issues, but after fighting issues with it for 2 years I finally had them remove it and refund my money (ARB admitted there are issues in 02 4runners but took 2 years to admit it). So this winter I sat in a small snow drift waiting for my garage door to open and when i tried to go forward, nothing. Boy is that embarassing or what?

So who wants to come over and install this mod for me?
Old 03-09-2011, 01:45 PM

The more i read about 01' & 02' 4runners the happier i am that i have a 99'!!!! My mom has traction control (RSC) on her 05' explorer and it sucks in snow and ice and she quickly found out that it's for dry or rainy conditions but at least with Ford you can turn it OFF without having to jimmyrig it.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by 89-4run
I had a ARB air locker in my 02 and never had any VSC issues, but after fighting issues with it for 2 years I finally had them remove it and refund my money (ARB admitted there are issues in 02 4runners but took 2 years to admit it). So this winter I sat in a small snow drift waiting for my garage door to open and when i tried to go forward, nothing. Boy is that embarassing or what?

So who wants to come over and install this mod for me?
What issues did you have with the ARB? Both my ARBs shave been working flawlessly, but mine's also a '97. Is there a known issue with running an ARB in the front of a VSC equipped 4runner?
Old 03-10-2011, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by brian2sun
What issues did you have with the ARB? Both my ARBs shave been working flawlessly, but mine's also a '97. Is there a known issue with running an ARB in the front of a VSC equipped 4runner?
It kept puking up diff oil through the compressor. They ripped it apart and put it back together 4 times, twice putting in a new unit. I must admit, the 4x4 shop did their work and stood behind their work. Even ARB stopped by to check it out and were dumb-founded.

I'm not saying ARB is horrible, or doesn't work on 4runners, ARB did admit to 2002 models giving them some troubles. Having said that, I know of some 2002's having them with no issues.

ARB wanted to put on a band-aid fix, i forget what its called, some return valve or something, but for me who doesn't 4wheel all the time, I told them to rip it out and refund my money, I was sick and tired of dealing with the issues over 2 years.

I miss it It was great when it worked!
Old 03-10-2011, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by aowRS

Andreas
Have you ever tried working on an ABS disable? I'm still in the process and not making much (desired) progress... I've got it turned off, but not in a way to make it come back on if desired without having to cut the ign.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:30 AM

Great stuff gentleman! I am new to the forum but have owned 3 Toyotas. I look forward to putting the Trac on/off switch on my 02 4Runner.

Another problem I have with my Trac system is it engages on dry roads. Going around a turn at 35-40mph+. Getting real annoying. Would this be a sway bar issue? ball joint? or something else in the front suspension? Any insite would be appreciated.