Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3rd Gen Steering Wheel Swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd Gen Steering Wheel Swap

I went on a search for 4Runner steering wheel swaps. There are wheels out there from Toyota that seem a lot nicer than our current wheels, and well, mines cracking anyway. Searched here, found a thread from 03 about the same idea. I can imagine that Toyota, with their consistency of using the same style parts, would have another steering wheel that could directly swap into a 3rd gen.

My reasoning behind it is that I'd like to keep an airbag and I'd like to have steering wheel controls, all the while having a nicer, sportier wheel. My mom has a 4th gen, some suggested using that wheel. After some thought, I've decided the steering wheel in it is atrocious. Aftermarket radios, such as the Kenwood DNX7100 installed in that same 4th gen, accept steering wheel controls from any brand vehicle. I believe it's a 3.5mm jack, anyway.

For example: This is the Corolla, Celica, Matrix wheel. I have seen these swapped into Tacomas before. It is cool, though it does not have steering wheel controls.

My favorite and #1 choice so far is a new Rav4 Steering wheel. If I could swap this into a 3rd Gen 4Runner, I think we could have a new mod here. It's a sweet looking wheel, and I'd be able to utilize the steering wheel controls with my aftermarket radio. Sure, it's got a lot of other buttons we wouldn't be able to use, but it still looks good. Maybe a Toyota Technician might know this answer.

Do these, or any other Toyota wheels with controls, fit the spline shaft (or whatever the wheel connects to) for our existing steering wheel, etc? I've never had my steering wheel off, mind you.

Obviously, any other knowledge of steering wheel fitment is appreciated.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:00 AM

Keep in mind that the airbag connectors on a different wheel may not match up to your harness. Someone on here will probably say you can monkey around with the harness and get it to work but I sure as hell wouldn't screw around with any of the SRS components...I want them to work as they were designed to!
Old 05-30-2011, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by tunnelmotor99
Keep in mind that the airbag connectors on a different wheel may not match up to your harness. Someone on here will probably say you can monkey around with the harness and get it to work but I sure as hell wouldn't screw around with any of the SRS components...I want them to work as they were designed to!
Damn, It would sure be cool if they were all standardized like the radio harnesses.

I just don't know enough about the situation because I don't feel like taking my steering wheel off yet. I was hoping someone here has already had experience with this.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As far as collision work goes, you are not allowed to splice any wires for airbags, sensors, etc. If there is ever a nick or break in an airbag related wire the whole harness gets replaced. Like tunnel said, you want it to work when you need it and cutting/splicing wires opens up a can of worms for corrosion and electrical gremlins that could keep things from working properly when the time comes. It's a fun idea that would be great to have, but I'd rather have my airbag deploy correctly than wheel mounted radio controls.