Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3rd gen. - rust around windshield - need pic of gasket around glass

Old 10-10-2005, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd gen. - rust around windshield - need pic of gasket around glass

Well, last week I drove up to Chicago and picked up a 97 4Runner (133k, auto, locker) for $5800. It is in great condition other than the fact that I noticed rust around the windshield. It looks as though the windshield has been replaced, because the gasket around the window looks like a hack job. My Tacoma has a thick gasket around the windshield that overlays the windshield and the sheet metal of the truck. The 4Runner has a tiny gasket that doesn't cover much. It leaves a groove all around the window that water can sit in. Has anyone had this problem before? Also, does anyone have any pictures of the gasket around the windshield? I'm curious to see what they originally look like. I'm probably going to take it in to my local body shop to fix the rust and then have a new gasket put in as a preventative fix for any possible future problems. Hopefully, I can get a wider gasket like on my Tacoma.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:39 AM

on my 98, when my windshield cracked in december, it had a big gasket on it. the dude that came to fix it from Triumph auto glass said it was the wrong windshield and gasket in it. I dont have a pic of the old one, but my new one seems to be what you're describing with the channel around the windshield. He said the one he was putting in was the correct one and its PPG glass. i was outside when he put the new one in and showed me a little bit of rust, just surface rust. he put some kind of stuff on it that he said would help the rust to not spread. No clue what it was, but yeah, the new windshield that he said was the right one had no gasket around it and there is an open channel. Hope this helps ya out.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by shotking4
on my 98, when my windshield cracked in december, it had a big gasket on it. the dude that came to fix it from Triumph auto glass said it was the wrong windshield and gasket in it. I dont have a pic of the old one, but my new one seems to be what you're describing with the channel around the windshield. He said the one he was putting in was the correct one and its PPG glass. i was outside when he put the new one in and showed me a little bit of rust, just surface rust. he put some kind of stuff on it that he said would help the rust to not spread. No clue what it was, but yeah, the new windshield that he said was the right one had no gasket around it and there is an open channel. Hope this helps ya out.

Thanks. I'm going to take it down to the body shop next week to see about getting the rust situation fixed. I'm afraid if I don't do anything about it, then I'm going to have problems in the future. I'm also going to see about getting a wider gasket.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:58 PM

good deal. keep us updated as to what you wind up doing.