Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3rd Gen Remote starter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 06:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
3rd Gen Remote starter?

As you can see from my sig I now live in the great white north of Canada and winters up here cane REALLY suck. Part of what makes it suck is to have to get up early and go out to the truck to get it started and warmed up before you leave (and so your bare hands don't freeze to the wheel ). A remote starter would really help this problem quite a bit.

My wife is really bugging me to get a remote starter for our 4runner so do you all have any reommendations as to what to look for or which ones to buy? I really have no idea here.

I do have a viper alarm right now......can I use the alarm in conjuction with the remote starter? Will this add any difficulty to the install?

Thanks as always for any advice
Old 11-05-2003, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 3rd Gen Remote starter?

Originally posted by MTL_4runner
As you can see from my sig I now live in the great white north of Canada and winters up here cane REALLY suck. Part of what makes it suck is to have to get up early and go out to the truck to get it started and warmed up before you leave (and so your bare hands don't freeze to the wheel ). A remote starter would really help this problem quite a bit.

My wife is really bugging me to get a remote starter for our 4runner so do you all have any reommendations as to what to look for or which ones to buy? I really have no idea here.

I do have a viper alarm right now......can I use the alarm in conjuction with the remote starter? Will this add any difficulty to the install?

Thanks as always for any advice

Yes you should be able to add a remote start directly to your existing Viper alarm. The unit that you will need is also made by directed electronics and should be a 551t or a 561t the 561 is just the new updated version of the 551 but either will work it just depends on whats avalible in your area.

Last edited by Rymin929; 11-05-2003 at 08:11 PM.
Old 11-06-2003, 02:37 AM
Contributing Member

Hey Rymin929,

Thanks for the help.
Is there also a good alarm system out there that already has the remote start feature built in?
Maybe that way I could put some of the money towards an alarm upgrade too.
Any suggestions for alarms with remote start would be awesome.
Old 11-06-2003, 04:37 PM
Contributing Member

Anyone have any alarm / remote start systems they like?
Old 11-06-2003, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea theres always room to upgrade, but it's all gonna depend on what features your looking for, and also whats avalible in your area. Taking that you already have a viper there is the newest 560XV which is gonna give you mid/high level features functions with remote start built into the system. If you have access to some of the other systems there is a Python 881XP, and the Clifford Matrix RS2.1 both of those come with the new Responder pager system remotes. The unit that I use on my rig is the Clifford Avantgaurd 5, it the best of the best that come with remote start but it's not cheap!...
And yes there all part of the DEI family, no I'm not affiliated with them in any way but I have installed there product for the past 12 years and I havn't found a better product to date! You can check out there web site and it can help you pick out what features and functions your looking for.
www.directed.com
Sorry for the long post, and there are plenty of other good alarm companies out there Alpine is another one that I've had little to no problems with...Hope this helps out some...