Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3rd gen lift & wheels upgrade?

Old 07-28-2005, 12:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 3rd gen lift & wheels upgrade?

hi, i know this has been talked around in other threads, but i've got a couple of specific changes i'm planning to make and would appreciate any input... for a '97 2wd 4runner that's been seeing minnesota winters lately and stays on the streets (almost always):
- what snow/at tires would y'all recommend and what size (i'm getting cheap black wheels for this set, not sure what size yet)?
- i'd also like to lift it 1" or 2" so any input as to that would be great.

thanks a lot
Old 07-28-2005, 01:13 AM

if you search you'll find a hundred threads pertaining to what your asking, but to give you some quick insite... If you want a 2"-3" decent lift for cheap i would recommend www.toyteclifts.com they have some really well priced quality spacer lifts. You can also check out performance products' 1" lift springs if you only want 1" of lift. As far as tires i'll just go off of my experience... i love my bfg at's, i would highly recommend them. They look good and have been able to do everything i've ever thrown at em. Good luck man i hope i could help.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:24 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by simalicious
hi, i know this has been talked around in other threads, but i've got a couple of specific changes i'm planning to make and would appreciate any input... for a '97 2wd 4runner that's been seeing minnesota winters lately and stays on the streets (almost always):
- what snow/at tires would y'all recommend and what size (i'm getting cheap black wheels for this set, not sure what size yet)?
- i'd also like to lift it 1" or 2" so any input as to that would be great.

thanks a lot
I've also been asking similar questions on the lift. Sorry, I know nothing about tires.

I have a '99 2WD and would like a lift for the looks, not for performance. Having said this, I also want a decent ride and am willing to spend the money if I have to. I've pretty much decided to go with coilovers in the front (there are various brands such as SAW, Ravtek, etc.) and the PP 1" inch springs in the rear with Bilstein HD shocks. This lift should give me 2-3 inches b/c the coilovers are adjustable to 3 inches and the PP springs will give me a 2-3 inch lift because they were designed for the 4WD, which already is 1" inch taller than the 2WD. The coilovers in the front will also allow me to even out the back once all is installed.

There are many other setups such as the PP springs all around and the Bilsteins. There are also setups with the Tundra springs up front and OME springs in the back with OME shocks all around. I think most people on this board don't have a 2WD so info is fairly limited. Plus, I'm new to trucks and don't understand all the terminology yet.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:18 AM

economical lift...my suggestion would be the PP springs (give approx 1.5-1.75" of lift with bilsteins).

and...

The best winter tire out there is the Nokia Hakkapeliitta 10's. I've tried alot of tires and nothing comes even close. They are not as good on slick ice....but in snow...they work like a charm. (plus you can stud them, if you like...this would help with a 2wd). Don't go for all-season or mt's...full winters are the way to go.

-B