Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3rd gen lift

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd gen lift

Well I've read soooo much info here about lifting a 3rd gen, I think I have finally decided on what to get.
I was going to get a 2" RB BL but the springs in my truck could do with replacing so I think I'll get a spring/shock combo instead. Now OME is the name that keeps poping up, and as I dont do a huge amount of offroading and just want to clear 285/75/16's... I think I need the standard duty shock/spring combo.

Now can anyone tell me what part numbers I need or any other advice.
It's not easy ordering this stuff, seein' as I am on the other side of the Atlantic in Ireland

Cheers
Old 01-28-2004, 12:10 PM
Contributing Member

for about 2.5" of lift, i recomend this:

front -
(2) OME 881 coils
(2) OME 95PF5 5MM Trim Packers
(2) OME N91S struts

rear -
(2) OME 890 coils
(2) OME N86 shocks

you will get anywhere from 2-2.5" in the front and 2.5-3" in the rear.
Old 01-28-2004, 11:24 PM

Thanks RTdawgs,

That sounds exactly like what I need. What about the panhard drop bar and brake cable relocater. Do I need them?
I am going to put in the front diff drop kit to help the CV's.

Cheers
Old 01-29-2004, 04:27 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Panhard and e-brake brackets

Originally posted by Cmar
Thanks RTdawgs,

That sounds exactly like what I need. What about the panhard drop bar and brake cable relocater. Do I need them?
I am going to put in the front diff drop kit to help the CV's.

Cheers
Ciaran,

All are suggested by some and disputed by others, certainly not "required" but I fabbed up the panhard and the e-bracke brackets to put on, just haven't gotten around to it yet. Definitely do the diff drop to help the CVs.

I have almost the exact same setup as Ryan quoted you above but the 891s in the rear, so I sit up a bit higher normally, but nice and level when towing.

Old 01-29-2004, 06:47 AM

Thanks Brian,

Have you dimensions of the brackets you made up? I would rather err on the side of caution when it comes to the rig....

I've just pm'd Mike at xtreme to see what his advice is.

I will certainly be greatful of your write up when it comes to installing this stuff. I reckon I will have the only OME lifted 3rd gen in Ireland!!! Woo Hoo!!!!
Old 01-29-2004, 06:59 AM
Banned

Brackets

Thanks Brian,

Have you dimensions of the brackets you made up? I would rather err on the side of caution when it comes to the rig....

I've just pm'd Mike at xtreme to see what his advice is.

I will certainly be greatful of your write up when it comes to installing this stuff. I reckon I will have the only OME lifted 3rd gen in Ireland!!! Woo Hoo!!!!
Man, I'd love to visit Ireland some day, as my ancestry is Irish. But I digress. I'll need an email address so I can attach the files of the brackets.

Old 01-29-2004, 08:04 AM
Contributing Member

I don't mean to hijack the thread but what do you guys think about the above OME combo that RTdawgs just mentioned except with Bilstein shocks? Only reason being, I already have Bilsteins with with only 15k miles on them.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:10 AM
Banned

My pennies

Originally posted by TStango
I don't mean to hijack the thread but what do you guys think about the above OME combo that RTdawgs just mentioned except with Bilstein shocks? Only reason being, I already have Bilsteins with with only 15k miles on them.
From what I've read, the OME coils and designed to work in conjunction with the OME shocks and this supposedly gives you the best ride, but with using another shock it will supposedly be stiffer, but you can use them. Like I said, this is what I've read concerning using other shocks with OME coils. Perhaps someone who has done this will chime in or you might consider a SEARCH or a separate thread.

Old 01-29-2004, 12:47 PM

If I could do my lift over again I would go with the softer OME set up--the set up I have is perfect when I load her up to go camping but day to day driving is a bit rough--I know that there are two options with the shock coil set up--I'm sure some of the guys on this board can help with the part numbers. Anyway just my .02. Have fun with the lift
Old 01-29-2004, 04:38 PM

a few ?? and comments

1.That set up RTdawgs recommends is with the comfort shocks right???

2. You guys feel that this is a better setup for more of a daily driver??

3. The trimpackers give the front a little more lift to even out the lift??

and yes ive tried the search function but with an overload of info it makes deciding which way to lift even more harder especially if you cant try/ride in a lifted rig to test it out

thanks in advance

Terence
Old 01-29-2004, 05:32 PM
Banned

Re: a few ?? and comments

Originally posted by Tman100z
1.That set up RTdawgs recommends is with the comfort shocks right???
No, the comfort shocks have an additional "C" on the part number, those listed are the standard firm shocks.

2. You guys feel that this is a better setup for more of a daily driver??
I have a daily driver with 891s instead of 890s but it sits higher in the rear end, but tows with a heavy load level.

3. The trimpackers give the front a little more lift to even out the lift??
Yes, a tad more to even it out without going over the magic 3" mark which puts extra strain on the CVs.

Hope this helps! More info about my OME and my install on my website.

Good luck!

Old 01-29-2004, 05:47 PM
Contributing Member

My question is this,
Will that amount of lift clear the 285's he has planned?
I am mulling over the same stuff...
Old 01-29-2004, 05:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Clearing 285's really depends on how much flex you have, and if you go on trails that require more flex. I had ~4" of lift on my 96 with 285's and they rubbed like mad. But I had tons of flex (in the rear at least).

Mall cruising you could probably get away with 2"-2.5"
Old 01-29-2004, 06:02 PM
Banned

285s

Either the OME lift setup or the 2" RB body lift will clear the 285s, but they will rub on the backside without some pinch weld bashing and fender well trimming. Certainly there will be some contact if you go offroad. I have both on my rig now for about 4-4.5" up front and 4.5-4.75" in the rear, and have no issues.

Old 01-29-2004, 11:36 PM

Re: 285s

Originally posted by waskillywabbit
Either the OME lift setup or the 2" RB body lift will clear the 285s, but they will rub on the backside without some pinch weld bashing and fender well trimming. Certainly there will be some contact if you go offroad. I have both on my rig now for about 4-4.5" up front and 4.5-4.75" in the rear, and have no issues.

Brian,

I understand what you say about pinch weld bashing but what about the fender well trimming. Can you give more details.
I am not going for the MT/R's that a lot of guys on here have. I'm getting the BFG All Terrain T/A KO's. I think they have a more square profile that the MT/R's.
A 1" RB BL might be fitted if I encounter bad rubbing...

There are a few suppliers of the diff drop brackets (from what I've read) So which is best. I would think Roger's???

Ciaran
Old 01-30-2004, 04:20 AM
Banned

Fender well

Ciaran,

Just try the lift and the pinch weld. It is usually the fender well that stuck out in front of the pinch weld that you have to trim, at least I did.

I sent you (2) emails. Let me know if you need something else.

Old 01-30-2004, 06:12 AM

Thanks for the help Brian, I'll check those emails when I get home this evening...

Using the OME stuff will help prevent the rear end bottoming out problem as well won't it?
Old 01-30-2004, 08:18 AM
Banned

Rear End

Thanks for the help Brian, I'll check those emails when I get home this evening...

Using the OME stuff will help prevent the rear end bottoming out problem as well won't it?
Ciaran,

Oh yes, you will have a much smoother better ride with the OME setup for sure!

Let me know if you can't read any of those email attachments and I'll see what I can do.

Old 02-02-2004, 11:23 PM

I'm waiting for Mike @ Extreme to get back to me with details of prices etc for a kit.

It looks like I need another little mod too... I was out wheelin' at the weekend and while climbing a mud covered bank I lost traction and slid back down. The exhaust ended up digging into the earth and the engine cut out. (The exhaust comes straight out at the back of the diesels) So I ended up well stuck. Had to dig out the earth from around the exhaust before I could start it up. Then got towed up the slope.
So I want to modify the exhaust so it comes out side exit style behind the mudflap.
Old 02-03-2004, 08:37 AM

I want to modify the exhaust so it comes out side exit style behind the mudflap.
That spot is a little exposed too, I've bashed mine pretty good coming off rocks and ledges. It'started off squared on the bottom, now it kind of looks like a sad mouth Saying "stop bashing me on the rocks!"
I just don't know where else to route it, some say underneath the backend just short of the bumper. But what about fumes accumulating during stop and go driving? Or when the back window is down? I guess I'll just leave it for now.

Quick Reply: 3rd gen lift