Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3rd gen interior acoustics

Old 11-13-2008, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd gen interior acoustics

I recently added a Basslink to my setup. If I have the rear window down, there is about 40% more bass than if the window is up. I had it positioned in the cargo area, tucked in the corner up by the seat on the drivers side. i turned it around where it was length wise in the same corner. Does anyone else have one and can reccomend how to get same amount bass with window up as the window down.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its usually the opposite.. thats weird.. im lookin forward to hearin an answer... BUMP
Old 11-13-2008, 09:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i get a little more bass with my windows down about 3 inches it must have something to do with the ability of the air to breathe in there
like a sealed box vs. ported box thing
Old 11-13-2008, 10:13 PM

yeah i heard that usually the bass will bounce off the rear window and increase the bass reproduction in the passenger area. My buddy had a bronco and his was opposite mine. If his window was down, he had less bass. I am thinking it has something to do with air movement. But if i leave the back window up and roll the other down i still dont have as much bass as wind the rear window is down. so again it hink it's accoustics. Maybe the way it is resonating is making the waves cancel out?
Old 11-13-2008, 10:43 PM

Most vehicles get louder with the windows down, my chevy does that and it sounds good but when the windows are up its signifiacantly quieter, I think your buddy just might have an anomoly!! Cause my camry was louder with the windows down too (and when they were down they would vibrate everyone elses windows....god I miss that car!)

I dont think there is a way to change it, Every car I have been in it was louder with the windows down
Old 11-13-2008, 10:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You might want to experiment with mounting the Basslink horizontally instead of vertically-the legs can be shifted .Then the air mass would move up to the ceiling/roof and back down.

However I have mine vertically and I will have to see if I can notice the difference with the rear window down.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:47 PM

I'll try laying it down
Old 11-16-2008, 01:15 PM

I think this depends on the type of speaker box you use. My assumptions are that a ported box would react less to a window being open than a sealed box and here is why:

1) If you assume that the amount of air at any given time inside of the vehicle stays relatively constant, then with a ported box, the speaker cone will displace the same amount of air that enters the speaker box through the port. Regardless whether a window is open or not, a ported speaker box will have about the same 'difficulty' moving the speaker cone around....this means that a ported speaker box bass quantity shouldn't really change even if the window is open.

2) Again, assuming that the amount of air at any given time inside of the vehicle stays relatively constant, then with a SEALED box, the speaker cone displaces the air in the vehicle, but has no change in the air quantity inside of the box. Therefore, the speaker cone has to work hard to push and pull the air of the vehicle AND the speaker box. If you opened a window, then as the speaker cone moved in and out, air from outside the vehicle would be able to rush out and into the vehicle making it easier for the sealed speaker box to work. This should mean that the bass quantity should increase when a window is opened.

What do you guys think?
Old 11-16-2008, 01:20 PM

also the specific note that it hits at a certain decible is what cuses it to be be louder when the windows are up or down most times it is with them up bc people dial in their amps and subs while the windows or down and they have more controle over the decibles but with your case the bass tubes have certain levels that they can be turned to whereas full sound systems have many more adjustments according to power low pass and high pass filters and decible ranges and the reason that yours is louder when the window is down is bc when the bass tube hits the waves bounce rite back to the source and the is dead air thats y when u put it down there is more air flow thus producing better sound wave resonance
Old 11-16-2008, 02:26 PM

i was thinking airflow but opening the front windows or sunroof doesn't affect it. only the rear window. so i am thinking it has to do with the way the waves are traveling.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:46 PM

yes u r rite bc thats where the wavs are so they r able to exit easier
Old 11-16-2008, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by 98runner210
I recently added a Basslink to my setup. If I have the rear window down, there is about 40% more bass than if the window is up. I had it positioned in the cargo area, tucked in the corner up by the seat on the drivers side. i turned it around where it was length wise in the same corner. Does anyone else have one and can reccomend how to get same amount bass with window up as the window down.
My '92 did the same thing, I don't have a box in my '96.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:33 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Geez, I remeber when I was kid in the 60's that you only had to have the music loud LOL now you have to have it with so much bass you can't hear the lyrics, but hey, they don't really sing anymore they just recite the words! (rap) Each generation has there own thing I guess. Interesting phenomina about the accoustics windows up vs down. I think the idea of positioning is where you should try to get the optimum response from your speakers. Placement is key. Another thing you can try is put the rear seats down, move the bass box up near the rear of the drivers/passenger seats and experiment with positioning closer to the occupants. hey it can't hurt right?
Old 05-10-2010, 09:17 PM

so anyone got extra mounting brackets for a Basslink? Mine never came with the horizontal mount brackets and I am at a loss to figure out how to fab up my own...It works fine vertically and I am messing with the placement a bit but my preference would be to make it more square mounted than tall mounted if you know what I mean...?
Old 05-11-2010, 06:54 PM

Hey 98runner210

I think you answered your own question. The sound waves are cancelling itself out creating a standing wave. I came across this in the mid to late 90's Thunderbird and Cougars back in the day. Was told and read that it had alot to do with the dimensions of the interior (mostly the measurement from front to back). I tried many different types of enclosures with not much luck.

Hope you get it figured out!
Old 05-20-2010, 07:11 AM

Listen. It's just like having a stereo system in the house. In your house you would place the sub in the corner for the loudest bass, right? The same thing applies to the car. Shove it back in the corner, experiment with different distances from the back. There is a trick to this, and it applies in the home as well as the car: Put the sub in your listening position, then crawl around, listening in different points in the room (car). You'll probably end up looking like a fool, but it works. Wherever you hear the most bass is where you want to place the sub.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:34 PM

scottishb is right. That works well when your setting up a home stereo, but car stereo systems are a little different. The actual wavelength coming from the sub is longer than the interior ( a 100hz signal is approx. 10ft long 50hz 20ft). Moving the sub only 1 or 2 ft. usually doesn't make that much difference in a car. I have seen some crazy things happen though!
Let us know what you find.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:30 PM

got my mounting brackets from Toytech the man the myth the legend

just wanted to toss out a big thanks to toytech for hooking me up with horizontal mounting brackets just like I asked for a couple of months back.

Never realized these things would be so hard to find and he had them laying around after he sold his 3rd gen and moved up to Tundra action. Excellent seller, prompt shipment and in perfect condition. Mounted up to my Basslink this evening and I am in classic rock heaven once again.
Attached Thumbnails 3rd gen interior acoustics-0610-horiz-basslink-mr2-drivers-window-issue-002.jpg  
Old 06-14-2010, 10:35 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Interesting set up there Ron. I like the intergrated hold down system you have there too!

Seriously, I have done some rather creative redneck engineering in my day too and still do until I get a permanent solution! Nice looking sub. Are these made just for our trucks?

Need to post up pics of my bass box in my truck. Vented box with 12" Rockford Kicker being pushed by an Alpine 5 channel amp. Picked up an Infinity 10" reference series 1042. Had a bad solder connection so now need to find a box to put it in.

Has anyone made a custom mount for the left side? I have seen the one for the right side for our 3rd gens but putting it here would eliminate the stowage compartment.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:15 PM

I made my own sub box that is a wedge shape. It's for two 12's, which now in my opinion is overkill. It's made out of 3/4 mdf and the back edge is flush against the rear seat backs, hence the wedge shape. The woofers are pointing down and are sealed so that the box has the smallest depth possible, allowing for the most remaining cargo room. The woofers are about an inch and half above the floor, which also creates a small vent effect (obviously still untuned). Sounds amazing. I find myself turning down the bass far too often because it is so powerful

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3rd gen interior acoustics