Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3rd Gen hazard warning switch not flashing.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd Gen hazard warning switch not flashing.

I have a 1996 3rd Gen Hilux Surf (4Runner). The hazard warning lights come on when the switch is pressed in & it makes the tell-tale sound by the switch but it does not flash, it also does not glow when the main lights are on like the rear window demister switch that is next to it.

So I put a new bulb in the switch & it still doesn't work? My next thought was to replace with a new switch but they are 35 GBP. Now thats not cheap especially if it doesn't cure the problem.

It is a bit of a pain when it's dark because you can't see the switch & I like my vehicle to be always right.

Can anyone please advise.

Many Thanks

Regards

Lewis

Last edited by lclascaris; 11-30-2007 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:24 PM

my hazard light switch has never "flashed" like your talking about. the only "flashing" on the inside of the cab should be the turn signals flashing...but as it's a hilux surf, then it's different...but i say check to see if it even has voltage going to it...
Old 12-12-2007, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by mikes19984x4
my hazard light switch has never "flashed" like your talking about. the only "flashing" on the inside of the cab should be the turn signals flashing...but as it's a hilux surf, then it's different...but i say check to see if it even has voltage going to it...
Does your hazard switch just light up when the lights on the vehicle are switch on?

Many Thanks

Lewis
Old 02-06-2009, 08:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
found you guys in search mode-these threads never die....

lclascaris did you get this solved?

I may have an extra switch if needed but could not be sure of the fitment for you...

I agree with mikes that once pushed the hazard switch itself does not flash but the inner turn signal indicators both flash at once (and of course all over the exterior of the vehicle the parking lights flash)

At night the presence of the hazard switch is gently lit with just a small backlight which I believe you already replaced.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Ron Helmuth
found you guys in search mode-these threads never die....

lclascaris did you get this solved?

I may have an extra switch if needed but could not be sure of the fitment for you...

I agree with mikes that once pushed the hazard switch itself does not flash but the inner turn signal indicators both flash at once (and of course all over the exterior of the vehicle the parking lights flash)

At night the presence of the hazard switch is gently lit with just a small backlight which I believe you already replaced.
Thank you for your reply Ron.

The switch has a new bulb in but it still doesn't light up at all, even at night with normal driving lights on.

You state that yours does gently light up, so if the bulb has been replaced it must need a new switch.....I suppose!

Now all I have to decide is that does it bother me enough that I cannot see the hazard light switch at night to warrant a new switch?

Thank you for the offer of a replacement switch, but I live the other side of the pond.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yep I noticed you were a bit over there....

glad to help in my usual 'too late to be of any real use' manner...

I know for me sometimes the smallest things drive me nuttier-so if you decide you need to replace it just stay in touch. Just happen to have an extra with my woodgrain conversion.